Combat Thread
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:10 pm      Reply with quote

slyviolin wrote:
Make small blade a viable option please Sad

Hopefully one day all weapons are equally viable, while still retaining unique identities and usage.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:49 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
The existing PvP culture of the MUD has no bearing on how powerful something is or isn't. As a concussion or a broken bone essentially ENDS THE FIGHT, the power presented there in a one on one situation needs to be taken seriously, regardless of the frequency with which one on one combats are encountered.

I'd agree on concussions, but broken bones don't end 1v1 fights, they 'end' the PC's usefulness for the next X days.

Quote:
As it is, it's still clear cut that bludgeons have a significant edge. (Haha.)

Get out. That's my job.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:56 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Quote:
The existing PvP culture of the MUD has no bearing on how powerful something is or isn't. As a concussion or a broken bone essentially ENDS THE FIGHT, the power presented there in a one on one situation needs to be taken seriously, regardless of the frequency with which one on one combats are encountered.
I'd agree on concussions, but broken bones don't end 1v1 fights, they 'end' the PC's usefulness for the next X days.

Could be, still significant. More significant than, say, bleed for example.

But here's the big thing, which really clinches bludgeons having the advantage:

You can do slashing OR blunt damage with top tier bludgeon weapons simply with choice of axe or hammer. This allows you to use whatever's best for the situation (usually blades for PvE, blunt for PvP). Swords can't do this.

It's the same problem as Dual-Wield versus Sole-Wield nested in a slightly different package.

(Which I suppose illuminates the number of dual-wield bludgeoners that tend to crop up!)

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:21 pm      Reply with quote

Hrm. Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but what does a broken bone do other than not heal?

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:56 pm      Reply with quote

Never seen one to be sure, but I've heard they make it so you can't hold anything in that hand, amongst other things? Might make moving harder in the case of broken legs?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:08 pm      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
Never seen one to be sure, but I've heard they make it so you can't hold anything in that hand, amongst other things? Might make moving harder in the case of broken legs?

Those are all attributes of the Jaunt-designed, Holmes-removed weapon progging system, IIRC. Sometimes a strong hit to the leg will drop you down(stagger you), but I've never seen this directly tied to broken bones, and I've actually never seen it last long enough to garner a 'free' hit even with dual wielding.

Bleeding matters during a fight, if only minimally.

That said, polearms can dish out all three kinds of combat damage(blunt, pierce, and slash).

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:13 pm      Reply with quote

I don't believe there's any coded differentiation between pierce and slash.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:49 pm      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
I don't believe there's any coded differentiation between pierce and slash.

'At the moment.' Given there's a proposed/considered audit of damage levels, it should likely be considered.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:02 am      Reply with quote

I don't really have too much input on balance, but at least from a first aid perspective a 'pierce' should be more difficult to treat since the wound will pucker on itself and you can easily get dirt and grime in there. A slash is more likely to actually push infecting agents out of the wound with the flow of blood.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:53 am      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
slyviolin wrote:
Make small blade a viable option please Sad

Hopefully one day all weapons are equally viable, while still retaining unique identities and usage.

Small-blade should never be equally viable to larger weapons. If you get it high enough it's pretty cool as is anyway.

Page 7 of 9   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic