Register a new account  
For the Future
Forum Index   Θ   Announcements   Θ   Outdated Announcements

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:57 am      Reply with quote

Jaunt wrote:
I don't personally have a problem with someone re-creating a new, Grungetown-like game with new NPCs and whatnot. So long as whatever happens isn't in the same world/timeline/universe as Atonement, the building and work done for Atonement can be used however you folks want.

AKA, I'd love for that work to help you create a new RPI (or multiple new RPIs). You just need a new story to tell.

I'll put it simply, this has nothing to do with plot, setting, purely a matter of building. Can we reload the old Grungetown, the first version of Grungetown with the unbombed out market place and the 'gang' HQ's outside? Change the streets, the bars and the important bits and simply start playing?

I'm sure people will love to drum up some lore. Change the wilderness to the wild plant life proposed in Parrell. We tweak, change and alter things accordingly and simply resume Parallel?

We get our game with something similar to the ideas proposed in Parellel, but none of the hard work goes to waste. Best of all no staff get burned out building thousands of rooms which may ultimately amount to nothing.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:36 pm      Reply with quote

Roadhawk wrote:
Jaunt wrote:
I don't personally have a problem with someone re-creating a new, Grungetown-like game with new NPCs and whatnot. So long as whatever happens isn't in the same world/timeline/universe as Atonement, the building and work done for Atonement can be used however you folks want.

AKA, I'd love for that work to help you create a new RPI (or multiple new RPIs). You just need a new story to tell.

I'll put it simply, this has nothing to do with plot, setting, purely a matter of building. Can we reload the old Grungetown, the first version of Grungetown with the unbombed out market place and the 'gang' HQ's outside? Change the streets, the bars and the important bits and simply start playing?

I'm sure people will love to drum up some lore. Change the wilderness to the wild plant life proposed in Parrell. We tweak, change and alter things accordingly and simply resume Parallel?

We get our game with something similar to the ideas proposed in Parellel, but none of the hard work goes to waste. Best of all no staff get burned out building thousands of rooms which may ultimately amount to nothing.

This.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:22 pm      Reply with quote

It really sounds like that would be more work then what's left for Parallel.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:15 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
It really sounds like that would be more work then what's left for Parallel.

From what I have read, things have been mapped, not built. With this, assuming we can, vast amounts of building mundane objects, items and rooms will have been done. All that would be left would be the tweaking of room descriptions.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:13 pm      Reply with quote

According to Holmes it's just game design and crafts, like I posted earlier. I've posted in the building forum about doing the crafts just waiting for a response.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:16 am      Reply with quote

From what I saw, very few mobs have been built, no AI has been designed, balancing not done. Very few objects have been finished, crafting is more-or-less untouched, no programmed systems exist. Mapping and room-descriptions and dialogue about design are most of what I saw accomplished for PRPI.

That's not to say that either way's a wrong way. You don't NEED extensive crafting to open up a start-up game. You don't need extensive anything. With some intelligent design/setting, you can contain the world as you see fit and build up around it.

Either way, if they wanted to take Grungetown and re-desc it to set it in an alternate universe or make it Venus, that'd be fine with me. If they want to re-use mobs and change (or not change) their descriptions (so long as we're talking animals and not humanoid NPCs with specific characters), that's fine with me. If they want to take any of my programmed weather/tech systems and change some stats/strings on them to re-use them in any way, that's fine. If they want to re-use hundreds of crafts from Atonement, that's great.

I'm completely cool with them re-using any of the work done on Atonement, so long as it's set in a different world/universe with different characters so as to not screw with the canon that we created over those few years. In fact, I totally encourage them to use as much as they can.

If a few of you banded together and someone took charge and offered to make it happen, and you talked to Viking, I'd bet she'd love your help. With a small group of people working on it with some dedication, it's really a matter of weeks before a humble opening, and maybe a month or two before a slightly larger opening - depending on design choices and efficiency of the work being done.

Again, that's all just based on my experience and opinion. I know other folks have different opinions (of what would need to happen, and of what my experience is worth).

It's just not something that I'm interested in spearheading, or a responsibility that I'm willing to take on again. I was a good player. I'll just bide my time and look forward to being a player again.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:24 am      Reply with quote

WHAT IS THIS.

Just a few mobs and progs and stuff have to be built?

And that's all that's holding up literally the only possibly worthwhile RPI?

And it ISN'T GETTING BUILT?

Am I going to have to come out of builder retirement and make this game for everyone?

Am I?

Because I will. So help me, I will.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:27 am      Reply with quote

Krelm wrote:
WHAT IS THIS.

Just a few mobs and progs and stuff have to be built?

And that's all that's holding up literally the only possibly worthwhile RPI?

And it ISN'T GETTING BUILT?

Am I going to have to come out of builder retirement and make this game for everyone?

Am I?

Because I will. So help me, I will.

You do this and do it well, and I'd be willing to help out once you're ready with some programmed systems. I don't wanna offer more than that, but as I said, there's already a lot of base material there from Atonement that could be easily modified to fit new needs.

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:47 am      Reply with quote

DO IT, KRELM! DO IT!

Implementor
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:03 am      Reply with quote

The amount of work left to do basically depends on what features people want. Someone could make some basic crafts and launch the game like that, but it would be very barebones and probably not much good. If that's all that can be done, one would be better off re-launching Smudgetown with the Pilkingtons, the Strippers and the Brown Berets again. Giving it a new storyline and setting background would be easy, all the basics can be reused and it only needs to be cut loose from the Atonement lore.

Parallel would need at least a whole new set of crafts that suit the setting, scavenging lists, a system for building structures (there's a written plan for this but nothing has been tested yet) and mob balancing. It would probably also need some restructuring of skills since they're all based around the firebreathers that wouldn't exist on Venus. It's not exactly accurate to say that all it needs is crafts, because that would be a shitty game since everything in the code is set up for Atonement. The rooms, documentation and mobiles are there, but not much has been done to any of it besides the descriptions. It would need more than just crafts to be a good game while Atonement could be made into a good game with literally a week's worth of cosmetic changes.

I could whip up a new set of docs for it overnight and have already told Holmes to let me know if that's what ends up happening. That's what I did with Parallel to get it off the ground, but then people dropped off when it came time to do the hard work. Atonement doesn't need any hard work. Personally, I don't think a huge project is worth the effort now that the guys at FutureMUD seem likely to release something this year. We're not gonna find a coder, and FM is the perfect solution to that problem. Grungetown 1.0 was Atonement's best era, and with a surface makeover to distance it from the weird plot it ended up with and a few changes to the setting with the aid of hindsight, it would be pretty good. That's what I'd do.

Page 3 of 8   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic