Craft Ideas
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:31 am      Reply with quote

padweld999 wrote:
components that can be had by people who cannot afford one hundred chips to buy gold and specialized gunsmiths to make bullets?

Which doesn't address why people would pick something that _should_ have: less damage, less range, and both less accuracy at similiar skill-levels and greater difficulty in achieving high skill levels. It's a frustrating thing to add.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:52 am      Reply with quote

Because bows work against kevlar better than guns?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:42 am      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
Because bows work against kevlar better than guns?

No, they really don't. Shot-for-arrow, sure. This would be valid if singleshots were the only game in town. As is, even the six shots of a repeater or five shots of a compact revolver'll outdo the one shot of the bow.

I understand the want for it. I just honestly don't see a place for it even if we had a coder.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:01 am      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
I understand the want for it. I just honestly don't see a place for it even if we had a coder.

Just because it wouldn't be the most popular or efficient option doesn't mean we shouldn't have options? Unless you want us all to be bludgeon dual-wield str/con characters. :p

But. Even if we had a coder, I can see how something like bows would be far from a priority. It's not something we need. It's not even something -most- people want. And there are plenty of things that are both more needed and more wanted. I think that's kind of what you were getting at grandpa?

As for ICly, why would people ever use bows?... Gold, I think, answers that adequately.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:22 am      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
padweld999 wrote:
components that can be had by people who cannot afford one hundred chips to buy gold and specialized gunsmiths to make bullets?

Which doesn't address why people would pick something that _should_ have: less damage, less range, and both less accuracy at similiar skill-levels and greater difficulty in achieving high skill levels. It's a frustrating thing to add.

Availability? Character preferences? Upkeep costs?

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:09 am      Reply with quote

Yea its never going to happen so there's no need to argue about it. Please leave this thread to craft suggestions.

Kuromushi
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 6:40 am      Reply with quote

technically that was a craft suggestion, though i understand there are more "important" kinds of crafts people want, like how to turn mushrooms and food paste into a pizza sub. Anyway, another craft suggestion I thought about is... Beans. Lettuce is so yesterday, let's grow beans.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 am      Reply with quote

Kuromushi wrote:
Anyway, another craft suggestion I thought about is... Beans. Lettuce is so yesterday, let's grow beans.

I've actually asked about this myself, and apparently making 'growing' objects is a HUGE code hassle. Supposedly even the grown vegetable objects in late Atonement never actually even worked right.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:39 am      Reply with quote

Biology: preserve herbal-specimen
Phase 1: 5 seconds
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 10 of a squat barrel of semi-colloidal hydrocarbons.
Phase 2: 10 seconds
In Room (Reusable): a chemical reactor.
In Room (Reusable): a functioning electrical outlet.
Phase 3: 10 seconds
In Room (Reusable): a functioning water line
Phase 4: 10 seconds
In Room (Reusable): a $color, $plastic (I have no idea what the tag is for the tubs that you use for dyeing, but one of those)
Held or in Room (Partially Consumed): 5 of a $plasticolor0 jug of ethanol.
Phase 5: 10 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): a $herb0
Phase 6: 10 seconds
Phase 7: 10 seconds Familiar Biology skill required.
Produced (Failure): a wilted and lifeless plant
Produced (Success): $herb0 soaking in a chemical bath
OOC Delay Timer: 6 RL Hours

Said soaking $herb0 would then convert to 'a preserved $herb0' similar to how drying herbs turn to dried ones. Ideally this would basically just be a stem and leaves/flowers version kind of like an 'uprooted' herb. They'll be bendy and preserve the same texture, but are dried. Some discoloration occurs in real life, but this is space science, so it would be fun if they stayed the same as they were before. Added bonus if we get some new artistry crafts to make things with preserved flowers, like garlands. Or can just wear them in a hair slot with the base product.

Also, purpose behind this to allow uses for hydrocarbons besides grease and for ethanol. Biology really needed a familiar-level craft, too.

1: Pulling a squat barrel of semi-colloidal hydrocarbons up to the side of a chemical reactor, you set the touch panel to perform oxychlorination.

2: You scoop out a portion of hydrocarbons and feed them into a funnel on the side of a chemical reactor as the catalyst begins to heat up.

3: Carefully monitoring the temperature of the reaction, you successfully manufacture an organochlorine compound in preparation for the next step.

4: A vent pumped to the outside of the building opens on a chemical reactor to handle a rush of steam as it draws on a functioning water line to perform hydrolysis of the resulting compound

5: The synthesized glycerol drains into a tub placed at the base of a chemical reactor after the rapid cooling process.

Carefully considering the structure of the plant in question, you mix in what you believe to be the correct amount of ethanol to preserve the original colors of the herb.

6: After carefully cleaning the stem and leaves of your specimen, you snip away the roots to prepare a fresh absorption vector for immersion in the tub of glycerin.

7 (Failure): Rapid discoloration occurs as you place the plant into the sugar alcohol mixture, moisture leeched faster than it can be replaced by glycerin. Your sample has been rendered useless.

7 (Success): The plant dips beneath the brown-tinged solution and begins to absorb the chemical mixture. The complete absorption will occur over the next few phases, leaving you with a durable, pliable dried version of the sample.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:06 am      Reply with quote

Is it possible any consideration could be made to taking the timer off of the replant uprooted-herb craft? It's sort of unrealistic that it takes a two-hour timer to do what is effectively sticking a plant in some dirt and watering it. If the concern is with how this might cause a huge explosion of organic materials, it's also still limited by jugs, nutrient solution, and soil! (soil being the biggest limiter)

Page 23 of 27   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic