Home

Register a new account  
IC Conflict and You
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Lost
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:30 am      Reply with quote

Like I said, sometimes it's for a good reason.

Other times, you could just stick a gun in someone's face without pulling the trigger and you could maybe get what you want anyway. Other times you can maybe pay somebody or extort them or exchange favours instead of shooting them.

I'm just saying that PKilling shouldn't be the first last and only solution.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:33 am      Reply with quote

Lost wrote:
Like I said, sometimes it's for a good reason.

Other times, you could just stick a gun in someone's face without pulling the trigger and you could maybe get what you want anyway. Other times you can maybe pay somebody or extort them or exchange favours instead of shooting them.

I'm just saying that PKilling shouldn't be the first last and only solution.
If you've been playing the game, you know by now that people are already aware of this.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:35 am      Reply with quote

yes, we have almost entirely avoided the spate of PKing that marked the start of Beta. I appreciate that killing someone is in fact the reasonable answer sometimes, and if it happens to me, I will take it in stride and move on to the next awesome concept I have in my head. We are doing a great job here with antagonistic reactions without resorting instantly to murder, and I love it.

Meduion
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:52 pm      Reply with quote

Tyrant wrote:
After consideration I've come to the conclusion that if I don't waste this punk right now he'll just come back later with friends and shoot me when my back is turned and now I'm the one out of a character. A very practical fear right? If someone has your character by the balls and they spare you. Are you going to thank them and run off lesson learned or are you going to plot intricate assassination strategies to kill the offending character? It drags the roleplay out a bit longer sure. But someone's definitely going to bite the bullet.

When it comes down to you or me scenario everyone always chooses me.

I think this is something of a problem with people actually choosing to roleplay their characters as being weak and/or having fear. It's a very rare (and for me an extremely valued) player that allows their PC to be weak in situations, to allow their character to be bested or changed -negatively- by an experience. If you were in a situation where you had four people surround you with weapons, had you at your mercy, and you get out of the situation, are most people truly going to have the thought that revenge and payback is what they're going to be after? How many people are actually going to go through that experience and be totally shaken to their core, and try to avoid anything like that again in the future? I think it's the fact that we, as players, know that the worst thing that can happen to us is that we have our PC killed, and that can suck, however, our PCs are supposed to be alive and would realistically fear for their lives, and most of them would not likely be prone to throwing it away or being extremely reckless with them.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:24 pm      Reply with quote

Meduion wrote:
It's a very rare (and for me an extremely valued) player that allows their PC to be weak in situations, to allow their character to be bested or changed -negatively- by an experience.

I love you.

I could say more (self-deprecating humor, ha ha), but anybody whose soul didn't cry out in exultation when they read your post wouldn't listen to me, either. Cool

For the record, I'm not against PK at all, but for me, I only use PK in one of two situations, either

a) I cannot, no matter how hard I try, find IC justification not to (staying IC is always number one)

b) someone clearly is going to die tonight and it's not going to be me

Pre-emptive "maybe he's going to come back and kill me because that's totally what I would do" doesn't count, for me. I'd rather have my PC live in fear of retribution (and have all the fun RP of trying to safeguard against it) than succumb to paranoia as a player that everyone else is going to choose to PK me for reasons of convenience. And this is important: even if they are.

If we all think to ourselves, "What's the worst possible thing that guy could be thinking?" and then assume it's true, we create the world in which we're afraid of living. Even if everyone else is actually thinking that (which they may not be), we become the source of our own fear and reinforce and justify other people in having that same fear about us. It's just like real life, really.

Be the player you wish the other guy was, not the one you're afraid he might be.

I would prefer not to.
padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:41 pm      Reply with quote

I -love- your comments on letting change effect you, and I totally agree with taking all precautions against PKing while still allowing it to occur if the situation calls for it.

Once had a PC named Adam (way back in Beta of ARPI), who had a hell of a life. He was shot several times, had numerous fractures and concussions, and had acid exploded on him more times than he could count. And all of these different injuries, wounds, and issues piled up. I developed a severe limp, lung problems, and an altered appearance from that sort of life. Was it coded? No, but I felt it appropriate for such grevious (or worse) injuries.

Do i look down on people who don't do that, or think I'm better? Heck no, not even a little. I just get joy out of evolving my character physically. And this goes for mental attitude as well. the death of a trusted friend may leave him bitter, or an appearance by a nasty, vicious spirit may leave him paranoid, etc etc.

The point is, I find it just as fun to RP being in a bad spot, even without code, and would resort to it if I found it necessary. Yes, ask to be maimed if I thought it needed. Maybe that makes me odd, but I encourage everyone to explore the bad as well as the good in their own 'damaging' RP. It adds to all of my PC's experiences, without needing to worry about someone codedly smashing my PC's legs (Have been a prisoner and beaten before, very fun). So go on, enjoy yourselves, you guys are some of the best RP'ers out there.

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:10 am      Reply with quote

I concur Padweld, excellent responses. The problem that I see with characters without fear is the disassociation inherent with players and their characters. The player isn't in the situation so more often than not they aren't thinking of how their character would react to the scenario of being surrounded by armed thugs. IRL we would be scared shitless.

I'm reminded of a time early beta, I had a fellow beaten to an inch of his life come back from being uncon and immideatly resume trash talking despite a loaded gun pressed to his head. He didn't survive much longer after that, and I'd like to think he was given a scenematic death.

I think the only times I've ever spared someone's life, they came back in a day or two to try and get revenge(didn't work out in their favor). So unless I can see from the start that this player and their character are cool with rolling with the punches, I never give the benefit of the doubt that this fellow isn't going to run home and heal then come back later and try to unload a pistol into my character. Like I said, disassociation.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:25 am      Reply with quote

Tyrant wrote:
The player isn't in the situation so more often than not they aren't thinking of how their character would react to the scenario of being surrounded by armed thugs.

Yeah but isn't trying to think of how our character would react kind of the entire point of RP and therefore this game? I mean, if the game were just about shooting things and collecting loots there are other games with better graphics.

I understand that some people have reason not to trust everyone implicitly because of bad experiences or whatever, but assuming that those bad experiences will recur (and acting accordingly) kind of reinforces the idea that that's how the game is supposed to work, imo.

I have been in situations where I had people at my mercy and they freaked out or behaved bizarrely or totally out of character, or whatever, and it ended up being because they assumed I would PK them. The irony was, I had no intention of doing so, but their nonsensical reaction made it difficult to avoid. If they had just been chill about it, nobody would have had to get hurt.

I'm not saying that's always the case, some people are just griefers and sometimes PK is ICly unavoidable, but if everybody goes into it thinking they can't trust the other players, and acts accordingly, then nobody really can trust anybody else. And really I think trust is the fundamental basis of conflict RP that is satisfying to everyone.

I would prefer not to.
Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:47 am      Reply with quote

Wouldn't you agree though in the post apocalyptic hell on moon landscape of Rust that most murderdeathkill reactions are understandable? Every day is a fight to survive and if that means climbing a pile of skulls in the process...better you than me. It doesn't foster a merciful outlook. If the scenery was different I'm sure this would be close to a non issue. Like if Parallel had gotten off the ground and we where all well adjusted citizens living in a space ark under no particular threat.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:49 am      Reply with quote

Maybe, but I'm not really arguing against PK.

This thread is about keeping a cool OOC head, not about being nice ICly, and that's all I'm addressing. I don't really think the setting comes into it. If anything, the brutality of the setting only further emphasizes the need for OOC trust and reasonableness, imo.

I would prefer not to.
Page 2 of 6   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic