Register a new account  
Sole wield/Dual wield helpfile
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
irkallia
Guide

f--- you that's my fish and i'm having sex with it

Post Posted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:54 pm      Reply with quote

So the sole-wield/dual-wield help file is great if you know about combat already. For those who are newer to this style of game, or just to combat in this style of game, it is not as helpful (no offense to Skepsis). To that end, I have quickly thrown together a different version of essentially the same information which is hopefully a bit more clear to newbies, and I'll add some additional notes here for those of you who like extra twinky knowledge.

Quote:

Dual-wield and sole-wield are 'stance' skills, essential for melee combatants. Their names are somewhat misleading, so read carefully if this is new to you:

DUAL WIELD is for
- wielding two different weapons (or two of the same weapon), one in each hand, or
- wielding a weapon in one hand and a shield in the other

SOLE-WIELD is for
- wielding one weapon in one hand, and nothing in the other hand
- wielding one weapon in both hands

If you choose a weaponskill at chargen, these options will appear in the skills list. It is highly recommended you take one if you plan on engaging in melee combat, as your style skill will affect both offense and defense score; however, it is not essential. One of these two skills will be tested every time you engage in melee (non-brawling) combat, depending on what you are holding/wielding, which means that if you selected dual-wield, but go into combat with a single weapon and nothing in your off-hand, your (nonexistent) sole-wield skill will be tested instead, leaving you at a disadvantage. Skills do improve with use, though, so if you continue to use a style skill you do not have, you will gain points in it.

High levels in style skills give access to additional special commands which can be used in combat:

WARD for sole-wield, which forces attackers back,
BASH for dual-wield when using a weapon and shield, which bashes your opponent in the head,
FEINT for dual-wield when using two weapons, which foregoes an attack for a greater chance on the second. See the helpfiles on these for additional information.

In PvP combat, if you are using the same style as your opponent and your relative skill levels are far different (one person's is much higher than the other), the higher-skilled combatant will have an advantage, effectively using their knowledge of the style against their opponent. This does not apply to combat with animals or brawling, which do not use styles.

Additional (somewhat random) notes:

The WARD command is not something you want to use in a group hunt/scav situation. What it does is it forces all but one of your attackers off of you - but if there are other people around, these attackers will simply re-attack random members of your party, which could be bad. Calling out for help is a much better option. That said, ward is an absolute lifesaver in a solo situation versus multiple attackers. If you get caught out in the wilderness and get attacked by a pack of shredders, ward could easily save your life. It's a pretty limited use, but it's where it really counts.

Dual-wield is, generally speaking, the more useful and all-purpose choice of the two. Just the facts, ma'am. It's maybe unfair, but it matches RL; a sword and shield are gonna do better than two swords. Ah well.

Keep in mind when choosing skills that most (but not all) polearms are large in size and can ONLY be sole-wielded in two hands, and cannot be one-hand wielded. You cannot get one-handed polearms in the newbie shops, as far as I am aware, so choosing polearm + dual-wield makes your life somewhat difficult until you find someone IG to make you a single-handed spear/javelin/whatever.

That's all I can think of for now. Add whatever useful tidbits you can think up. Wink

09:08:36 ‹Holmes› FUCKdgkljald
09:08:38 ‹Holmes› Irkallia
09:08:39 ‹Holmes› YOU GOD AMLDJALgkasdf
09:08:41 ‹Holmes› I WILL KILL YOU
09:08:43 ‹Holmes› WITH MY FACE
09:08:47 * Holmes quit
Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:23 am      Reply with quote

Spears are one handed right? Been some time since I've used one IG. If they are then there is a viable pole arm to one hand in the pregame.

I'll also echo Irk's sentiment about the versatility of dual wield over sole if you're looking for a character with a bit more flexibility and a higher survival rating.

That being said a great sword, sledgehammer or poleaxe with a high sole-wield does unspeakable damage. Getting there is the problem.

irkallia
Guide

f--- you that's my fish and i'm having sex with it

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:36 am      Reply with quote

Sure, there are one-handed spars - but not all of them are one-handed, I'm pretty sure. I could be wrong! I used a one-hander for almost all of Beta. Wink If there is now a 1h spear available in pregame, then that's no longer a problem; I was just under the impression that there were no pquality 1h spears at all, and thus one could only get an oquality or gquality 1h spear once already in game (mine was gquality; I spent the first few months in game with a 2-hander). Again, I could be wrong, so someone with access to admin commands can verify this for sure.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:45 am      Reply with quote

You can get javelins in chargen, but I think that might be it?

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:57 am      Reply with quote

There are one-handed spears for melee, now. They may not be craftable, but they should be for sale in the pre-game area now.

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:28 pm      Reply with quote

I figured this thread would be just as good as making a new one. I had an idea for another sole-wield technique to make it seem a little less very very very specific scenario. SWEEP. Since more weapons you will sole-wield tend to be very lengthy I thought a sweeping attack technique would be perfect. As one can imagine it would entail making an attack against every enemy engaged against you at once. I see it as stickking to the crowd control theme of the other technique. Failure or success would leave the user unbalanced however.

hobos
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:02 pm      Reply with quote

If you didn't choose one of the styles at first due to being a newb, is there a way to learn it?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:05 pm      Reply with quote

hobos wrote:
If you didn't choose one of the styles at first due to being a newb, is there a way to learn it?

Just fight, you'll learn it. Sword/shield or two weapons, dual wield. Just one, sole wield.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
hobos
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:08 pm      Reply with quote

Cool, thanks! I was actually searching 'skill' on the forums to figure out how long it took to increase skills, but I haven't found an answer yet. Any information on that? Sorry for off-topic, feel free to direct me elsewhere. Smile

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:10 pm      Reply with quote

I would think it takes quite a while unless you get involved in the right combat situations. Hunting squicks in the sewer? Not so much. Fighting fifty spiders while at 3 stars? Ok, much better chances for that skill increase on a daily basis and learning it quickly. But you WILL learn it if you keep fighting.

Page 1 of 3   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic