Home

Register a new account  
Female character concepts, and you
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Feawen
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:14 am      Reply with quote

People always assume that being strong or lethal is about muscle and ability to apply tons of force. It's really a lot more about application of force. I know an older woman shorter and more slender than me who could probably easily break a large man's arm.

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:21 am      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
This is my world. As far as the game is concerned, women and men are equal. Your character can be as sexist as you want, but, I utterly and violently disagree with this statement, and anyone trying to claim that 'women are naturally weaker than men' is just wrong. Plainly and completely.

Yup. Chargen states quite clearly, 'there is no code disparity between the two genders, beyond size and weight generation.'

I've been keeping quiet on this one because my automatic response is just to agree with Aken. Honestly, I do get pretty wound up by some of the female concepts being talked about. Some male ones annoy me too, but I'll stay on topic. Thinking about this whole issue raised some interesting questions for me - why do I have an aversion to certain character types, is it IC or OOC, am I just being a bit of a dick?

First, back to the strength/weakness thing, it isn't always about physical strength. As somebody said, a lot of our more fragile girlies actually have a lot of power- people stick up for them, take care of them. That's worth something. I've played manipulative characters and I love it- it's one of my favourite things. Definitely nothing wrong with being manipulative.

Creating characters with layers is something that interests me a lot, but I'm sure that it doesn't come across with some of my PCs- I'm not good in big groups, I like to eke things out and reveal stuff slowly. I play a long game. I think it's worth remembering that if you only see a character briefly and don't interact with them much, you won't get to see the whole character. You have to interact, see what else is there. Maybe what you see is just a front and maybe that's intentional.

This is something I actually have to remind myself of, especially with a lot of our very girly girls because I have to admit my instant reaction is to groan. Not all of them annoy me and I don't have a problem with feminine characters, certainly not openly sexually assertive or flirty characters. But often, the very girly girls act really young and that's the main bit that really bothers me and comes off as very jarring to the setting.

Life in Rust is tough. Concept depending, you're probably expected to fend for yourself by the time you're 12 and are certainly considered an adult at 15, let alone 18. That said, I don't mean everybody should be super tough or fight, and it'd be a boring game world without some immature behaviour, teenage posturing and other brattishness but I do think it should be taken into account when trying to portray youth.

As caellyndria said though, the most important thing is the 'why'. Some of these characters probably do have a decent why and I've just never bothered to find out, or maybe it's all an act. Ok, I personally find it hard to see why it'd be a good act to put up, considering I'd think that a society that values strength (in all forms) would look down on weakness, especially an affectation of weakness, but there you go.

Long story short, I definitely have preferences, pet hates and ideas as to what I think fits the setting or not, but I've also realised that I do probably judge these kinds of characters far too quickly. IC, that's fine, OOC, it's not and is probably pretty damn hypocritical, considering how I approach my own characters.

Please don't get me wrong, I am a huge supporter of strong female characters, but I've realised too that I probably am being a bit of a dick in my fairly automatic OOC judgements of certain character types. If it's possible that you are too, it wouldn't hurt to think a little more in depth about why. I'm pretty sure I'll get less riled by character types I don't like now, which has got to make playing more enjoyable for me.

kel
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:30 am      Reply with quote

Not really up to tossing in my two bits.

But, for the sake of scientific speculation, I wonder how many of these currently hated/raged-on/disliked female PCs are played by d00ds?

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:20 am      Reply with quote

hardly matters. I have seen pofs that are female who play excellent males, and vice versa. As long as you play well IC, that's what matters. And I second Wilde's post in every way, including the feeling that I have done the same things.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:28 am      Reply with quote

+1 to Wilde's post. Absolute gem!

Lost
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:17 am      Reply with quote

Wow. Great post, wilde!

I feel like that's what I should have written, about not being judgmental, but the double-standard female PCs face at times is a huge pet peeve of mine and I get riled up with the whole subject very easily.

To Aken, sorry for the tone of my earlier posts.

Roadhawk
Registered

We lurk inside your brain, we hide inside your mind.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:18 pm      Reply with quote

*Wants a busty domme*

Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:38 pm      Reply with quote

Roadhawk wrote:
*Wants a busty domme*

*Wants a beared fem!Todd*

And then they kissed. They kissed like like lovers, like friends, like rivals, like enemies. They kissed... like soul mates.
padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:48 pm      Reply with quote

*will never play a fem -ever-, because he knows he would be terrible at it.*

Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:26 pm      Reply with quote

I think this is a player choice thing. Some of the most prominent female characters have an overture of domestic-frail to them. While I get that it might seem representational, I think it might just be that you're seeing the surface of a few characters and attributing it as being endemic.

I'd like to see diversity, but I don't think we're at a critical mass here. I'm betting most characters have more pulp to them than what is readily accessible to your vantage. I've seen some fairly subtle folk working their magic.

Edit: On mobile and missed reading the last couple pages of comments. I'm with Wilde. I enjoy long games and letting people make assumptions about characters is a part of my toolkit. It would be really small minded not to assume other players, even ones who seem to play to stereotypes, are not also using the same tools.

Page 4 of 7   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic