Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Bones
Registered

Horsecorn

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:32 pm      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
Shy wrote:
Consider that creating a super skilled, super strong female that could actually physically overcome a super skilled, super strong male without using a gun is pretty unrealistic in a world of humanoids.

Yeah, sorry, no.

This is my world. As far as the game is concerned, women and men are equal. Your character can be as sexist as you want, but, I utterly and violently disagree with this statement, and anyone trying to claim that 'women are naturally weaker than men' is just wrong. Plainly and completely.

It always amuses me when people use the "women are weaker, it's just more realistic" argument with respect to fantasy/sci fi settings. Elves? Dragons? Magic? Warp drive? Realistic. Women who are stronger than men? OH NO THAT'S GOING TOO FAR. And in terms of this setting, here in current-day, real earth, there are plenty of women who are as physically capable as men, if not more so. It's not inconceivable that far in the future, as humans evolve and branch off into terrans and martians and titans, on average men and women are of equal strength, especially given the harsh environment. If anything, I think it's more realistic.

No, I'm not THAT Bones.
Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:48 pm      Reply with quote

I was going to post about the whole strength of the sexes thing as I'm an amateur practitioner of Olympic/power lifting buuuuut figured it'd just offend people. There's no reason why women shouldn't be able to be as strong as men IG as it happens IRL. Just not very common at all. If we're talking about super jacked dudes benching 400 that probably wouldn't happen in Rust anyway. Unless the persons able to eat 6000 calories a day and lift multiple times a day. Which is no one in Rust.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:24 pm      Reply with quote

yes, I would imagine the majority of Rust-dwellers would be more the lean, hard types, more Clint Eastwood than Arnold.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:47 pm      Reply with quote

No one in Rust could ever be Arnold big, it's just not possible.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:06 pm      Reply with quote

Bones wrote:
Elves? Dragons? Magic? Warp drive? Realistic. Women who are stronger than men? OH NO THAT'S GOING TOO FAR.

I love you.

I also loved wilde's post (humphumphump).

But. Shoot me if you want to (I know you want to!), but I have spent a lot of hours trying to squeeze blood from turnips (not on PRPI.... yet)... and there just isn't any blood in some of them. I don't mean to say therefore one shouldn't bother squeezing, I'm ever the hopeful optimist where this is concerned, figuring that some characters are not flat, they just need a little nudge, a little something to sink their teeth into. A character is only as flat as the player is feeling at any given moment -- give the player something to inspire them, and the character becomes deep and rich right there, before your eyes.

I think every player should be treated as equally as possible, given an equal chance to shine, allowed to make choices they personally enjoy for their PC, etc. But I also think we're all just people behind these computers and we have a lot of baggage (not excluding myself at all) and it would really pay off for us to try generally to be aware of that baggage, and aware of the Rust it will create if we let it. I agree that I can't judge someone else's baggage, and I try not to, as best I can (and hope others will give me the same benefit of the doubt), but that doesn't mean they (and I) don't have it, or that we couldn't all benefit from them (and me) taking a moment to step back and consider what it might be and how it might be affecting our character choices.

I would prefer not to.
Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:10 pm      Reply with quote

The first biologist/chemist to make anabolic steroids IG will make a fortune.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:33 pm      Reply with quote

he will be killed for the glory of the Families that find him first, his formulas used to create souped-up monster soldiers that will finally rule the city and bust open Hyperion...

I like this plan.

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:42 pm      Reply with quote

^game for that.

Though as a background piece or virtual roleplay tool I don't see why someone can't play a roidjunkie. The chemicals to brew up steroids probably exist or can be synthesized in game. Who's to say Arnold isn't getting them from a vnpc to fuel his endless rage? It offers no coded benefit(outside of picking strength first in charge) and would be purely an rp tool.

Shy
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:03 am      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
I was going to post about the whole strength of the sexes thing as I'm an amateur practitioner of Olympic/power lifting buuuuut figured it'd just offend people. There's no reason why women shouldn't be able to be as strong as men IG as it happens IRL. Just not very common at all. If we're talking about super jacked dudes benching 400 that probably wouldn't happen in Rust anyway. Unless the persons able to eat 6000 calories a day and lift multiple times a day. Which is no one in Rust.

Okay, guys...seriously? There would be some kick-butt women...but in a gender to gender comparison? Just in Olympic clean and jerk? How about in Cage fighting or boxing? SOME women could best SOME men. But - seriously, there is a reason females do not play professional football against men.

But, if you want to go with the idea that these humanoids have physically evolved to be more equal? Think...black widow spider... More power to you and go RP!

Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:08 am      Reply with quote

Shy wrote:
Matt wrote:

Okay, guys...seriously? There would be some kick-butt women...but in a gender to gender comparison? Just in Olympic clean and jerk? How about in Cage fighting or boxing? SOME women could best SOME men. But - seriously, there is a reason females do not play professional football against men.

But, if you want to go with the idea that these humanoids have physically evolved to be more equal? More power to you and go RP!

In this game and setting, there is no difference whatsoever with regard to the limits of their physical capabilities. It's nothing to do with how people choose to RP it. It's simple fact.

Page 5 of 7   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic