Register a new account  
Female character concepts, and you
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
kel
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:13 am      Reply with quote

Throttle wrote:
It would definitely be cool if people were able to rise to power and prominence without might and personal martial strength, and I always encourage people to try, but I've never seen it work unless you get staff saying that this is how it is, and I don't necessarily think it's broken if it doesn't work like that.

I've played Arm, and played Harsh, and all those. But... this is veering off from the overall theme of the thread. We're not talking about rising to power and prominence. We're talking about surviving. We're talking about the various aspects and attributes that one can employ, beyond simple brute strength, in order to survive. And maybe then, even prosper.

Yeah, this isn't like Arm or Harsh, where the "nobility" or other characters of authority have legions of NPC guards to keep them safe. So, as you said, a "code wise combat weak" PC is ultimately going to end up a target from someone who's "code wise combat strong" and wants what that person has. I can imagine that you really have to be an extra-exceptionally clever player to play and live long as a leader-type-authority PC in this game, without hard coded combat skills of reasonable level. If you're gonna make yourself a target in Parallel, you best be able to back it up.

But to "just get by" or maybe, be reasonably prosperous. Then various non-fighty attributes can come into play. From what I've experienced of Parallel, and Atonement 3.0, it's possible to be a valued and contributed member of the larger society, that as long as you're smart, and don't make the wrong sorta waves, you can survive, be liked, and be supported. Realistically. And post-apoc fictionally.

And yes, I will admit, the PCs who make these ... shaped ... women, and do little but sit around, and mooch, and don't contribute anything beyond the never-fulfilled promise of a hot and dirty 8-hour mudsex session, even these sorta have a place. In a high tension, high mortality society, there'll likely be plenty of whores. Female -and- male whores. Whore in the widest sense. Not always charging chips, but putting out in return for food, protection, so on. In such a society, this seems to be an ultimate means for a "weaker" female (and, since all things being equal, male) to try and survive. Because their other options may be limited to nothing short of quickly starving to death.

and yes, I will also admit, those PCs can cause some jaw clenching and eye rolling. But, I'm certainly not one to pick up an RP police badge.

malfunction
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:23 am      Reply with quote

The only female PCs I've disliked are those with discrepancy between their description and their stats/skills. If you want to play a little girl who survives by being cute, fine, if you want to play a roided beast of a woman like Cyborg Santos, cool, have fun. Or anything in between. I won't get into the whole can women physically compete with men debate and I won't diss anyone's taste in characters. But don't be an asshole and make a cute little girl who prioritizes strength and con. I've seen that a lot in Atonement's arena and it's just... shitty. This shouldn't be an anime world.

Sphinx
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:38 am      Reply with quote

malfunction wrote:
The only female PCs I've disliked are those with discrepancy between their description and their stats/skills. If you want to play a little girl who survives by being cute, fine, if you want to play a roided beast of a woman like Cyborg Santos, cool, have fun. Or anything in between. I won't get into the whole can women physically compete with men debate and I won't diss anyone's taste in characters. But don't be an asshole and make a cute little girl who prioritizes strength and con. I've seen that a lot in Atonement's arena and it's just... shitty. This shouldn't be an anime world.

I think this may be a little unfair as well. Getting your opponents to underestimate you by acting weaker than you are is legitimate. And like other people have said, Parallel's food and living situation is going to lend itself to lean strong characters, not hulking strong ones. It's quite possible for someone to be small, and still pack a powerful punch. It also lends itself to the kind of trauma that could conceivably make someone emotionally stunted, while at the same time forcing them to become physically strong.

Your post seems to suggest people should pick one stereotype or the other, but heaven forbid they pick a stereotype that combines the two, whatever possible justification they might have. I realise you were generalising for the sake of making your point, but being told I can't toy around with poking fun at certain character concepts in my character, or that a certain concept is out of bounds and completely irredeemable really gets under my skin.

Of course, if you're talking about someone who is just skin and bones, but is wielding a greatsword, then I'll agree that there's a discrepancy. But just because someone acts cute, but can take a lot of pain, doesn't mean that they're not playing a realistic well-rounded character.

malfunction
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:47 am      Reply with quote

[quote="Sphinx"]
malfunction wrote:

Of course, if you're talking about someone who is just skin and bones, but is wielding a greatsword, then I'll agree that there's a discrepancy.

That's what I'm talking about. Not lean, strong characters but petite, flowery girls that don't have a scar on their bodies yet they fuck you up in the arena.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:17 am      Reply with quote

Yea what Malfunction pointed out happened a decent amount of times in Atonement. It's really annoying to see some petite little girl with round doe like eyes carrying around a 300 lbs of gear through the plains.

derrenp
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:11 am      Reply with quote

Male psychology promotes this female psychology that the OP has a problem with.

Men are arrogant. We're the kind of people who almost always think about if we could take the guy standing in front of us in line, or if we're smarter than the man who's more successful than we are. This arrogance tends to lead to competition.

Women, much more mature and wiser than we are, don't feel this need for competition (or that's what I see, anyway, I'm not a woman, they probably think similarly to men). Some women think it brutish or just masculine "dick measuring", and decide not to bother with it. Still, I wouldn't call a female character who's sexualized fragile, I think some women just own their femininity in other ways.

Fragile women who do exist in Rust probably were surrounded by men (and even women) who either felt their fragility was attractive or simply needed protection. This probably breeds more fragility. Whatever the reasons for their existence, I know that there are some noncombatant males on the grid as well, but men who are fragile, at least in the real world, are often under a lot more scrutiny than fragile women.

In Rust this probably wouldn't be the same, but old habits die hard, and not all of us can play a perfectly distinct personality from our own (I know my personality bleeds on to my characters, and I can spot some players by their personalities bleeding on to theirs).

Feawen
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:43 pm      Reply with quote

Women do exactly that, Derren, just in different ways. I've seen the types of characters being commented on in this thread come in and take over a scene just to complain and get the attention of any males nearby.

Just the most obvious way pertaining to this thread.

derrenp
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:44 pm      Reply with quote

That's exactly what I mean. If they didn't get the male attention desired (and again, I'm not targeting them or berating them for it), there'd be less incentive to play the character.

Bones
Registered

Horsecorn

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:50 pm      Reply with quote

derrenp wrote:

Men are arrogant. We're the kind of people who almost always think about if we could take the guy standing in front of us in line, or if we're smarter than the man who's more successful than we are. This arrogance tends to lead to competition.

Women, much more mature and wiser than we are, don't feel this need for competition

Women are competitive. We're more competitive. We're the best at competitive.

No, I'm not THAT Bones.
Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:48 pm      Reply with quote

Universal gender statements aside, I think it's good practice to give both apparent fmes and gunbros the benefit of the doubt. Assume they might have more going for them than that practice, treat them like your character would, rather than how you as a player react towards someone playing in a style you think is gauche.

Page 7 of 7   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic