Home

Register a new account  
Empty shops
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Mannfreid
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:25 pm      Reply with quote

I notice there are still a few empty shops up in the market. How would someone go about getting one?

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:35 pm      Reply with quote

Several are probably owned by the families, but have yet to be set-up.

Throttle
Administrator

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:35 pm      Reply with quote

Those are the clan-owned shops that their members haven't yet put to use. The Reds and Niners started with two shops each and the New Guard with three (since they're more business-oriented and also don't have a bar on their turf), and I guess they haven't really got much use for all of them quite yet. The game is still very young and few have had a chance to even equip their characters properly, let alone produce stuff for selling. Compared to an individual shop-owner, a clan has to produce a lot more stuff before they're at the point where they can begin selling the excess.

In order to keep the amount of enterable things to one per room, there can only be so many shops in the market. We also don't really want there to be two dozen shops since that makes shops not very special and makes it hard for any one owner to stand out when the ratio of shops to players is too high. We opened the game with six independently-owned shops and seven clan-owned shops, and we'll probably keep it that way unless people build and furnish the actual building themselves.

When the owner of a private shop dies or retires, or fails to log in for a RL month without notifying staff of the nature of their absence, the shop will be cleared out and the role opened anew. If the shop had employees who are worthy of inheriting it - i.e. didn't app in the day before the owner retired or something, with the obvious intention of just keeping the shop - then the employee may be given the opportunity to take over the business.

If there turns out to be an overwhelming demand for more shops, we could consider adding a few more and opening the role again. As long as the clans aren't even putting all of theirs to use, that's quite unlikely to happen.

Mannfreid
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:37 pm      Reply with quote

Gotchya. So Building an actual shop is an option though huh? That's great you guys leave that option in there. Though I understand it isn't really easy to build a building, that in itself makes it worth it.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:47 pm      Reply with quote

Didn't realize clans had shops from the start. They should be putting those to use. I'm sad I haven't noticed that.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:49 pm      Reply with quote

don't know about you guys, but as was mentioned, still haven't even gotten everyone decent gear in my own clan, let alone more for sale. Once we get to that, more chips and shop items will be cropping up in the next couple weeks.

kel
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:51 pm      Reply with quote

I know things are already set, but honestly, 13 shops already seems like massive overkill, already beyond the "something special" point.

This pushed even further by some shops having two, three, fifty eight different crafters in there, selling everything there is under the sun. I think it's going to very quickly lead to over saturation. And with a family's ability to supply steadier material for their shops, the family shops could potentially quickly run the independent shops to the ground.

I think it'd be nicer, perhaps more realistic (with the market being the indie's "turf") if the family shops were located in their turf, not in the market. That would put in some more interesting play, with indie and family relations having a greater effect on shop business. They already get their "free chips" from working the turf crafts. It'd be nice to see that be their thing, with the shops be the indie thing.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:12 pm      Reply with quote

keep in mind the family members that make it their mission to walk around every time the quests spawn to insta-snatch them up and keep the profits for themselves without telling people. But its a good point about the oversaturation of shops.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:19 pm      Reply with quote

I think putting their shops in their own turf is a pretty good idea. And instead of being enterable objects it's just a normal room.

Throttle
Administrator

Post Posted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:30 pm      Reply with quote

Not all shops will really "count," in my experience. Back in Grungetown, quite a few people had shops and some of them barely operated for long stretches of time. I think there were actually like ten shops, but half of them just had the same three items for sale week in and week out so people stopped even checking them and they became background scenery. That's sort of inevitable as we can't really force people to sell x amounts of stuff per week or anything, and also some players might become less active for periods of time.

In hindsight, it might have sufficed to give the clans 1/1/2 shops instead of 2/2/3, and if they haven't put all of theirs to use after a month, we might chop a shop from each clan to concentrate things a little. We'll see how that turns out. If an indie shop is abandoned by its owner's death/retirement and someone apps in with something interesting that isn't actually a shop - say, a gambling tent or something - then we might also allow that if the concept is good enough. This would reduce the number of shops.

We accounted for the possibility of not all shops always being actively operated, and when I designed the market, I erred on the side of remembering that people love shops. I think it would have been worse to open with too few and make people feel like those with shops were given some incredible benefit that would make them dominate the economy unchallenged.

I'm content to give it a month or two and then see how things have turned out.

Page 1 of 2   Θ   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic