Home

Register a new account  
The Roleplaying Thread That Won't Devolve Into Policing
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Sabrelon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:01 pm      Reply with quote

So, I won't lie, I'm totally starting this thread for entirely selfish reasons, and by no means intend for this to be a "This is how you should roleplay, you dirty pleb" kind of thread.

Instead, I'm looking for tips and suggestions, preferably organized into bullet points or bite-sized pieces, that you all as players have accumulated over the years of playing. What kind of things do you generally find yourself doing most? How do you structure your emotes/says/tells? Do you prefer to have long, descriptive emotes, or short ones that get the job done quickly?

So, first person to talk about how pmotes are the best thing in the world wins my heart.

GO!

starsignal
Registered

just a page in someone's book

Post Posted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:15 pm      Reply with quote

Just a few DOs and DON'Ts I've picked up along the way:

~

DO find a style/rhythm that works for you.

DO try to play with your style, vary your sentence structure, etc.

DO be flexible; try to adapt to the people emoting around you to make both yourself and them more comfortable.

DO use pmotes, dmotes, travel and voice strings, and other customizable ways of emoting to add more flavor to your roleplay.

DO challenge yourself to something new from time to time.

DO keep in mind that there are real people behind their characters, and maintain awareness of the IC/OOC boundary.

~

DON'T expect people to automatically cater to you; roleplay is about negotiation.

DON'T ignore people. Just don't do it. If someone emotes at you and you don't have time to/want to stick around, at least humor them and toss an emote back so they don't feel crappy about themselves.

DON'T judge a character (OR PLAYER) on a one-off encounter.

DON'T be an asshole.

Guts
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:37 am      Reply with quote

In the theme of do's and don'ts....

DON'T SPAMWALK-If you're in a hurry to log or get to a scav before they go sure, i get it. But if you walk past me five times in an hour without so much as emoting that you're walking through the room or pausing for at least ten seconds. I assume you either don't want to RP with me or just don't like me.

DON"T power emote, just don't

DON'T ask questions in your emotes- This irritates me like no other. I've seen it a few times and if frankly burns me up inside. This is something like "Bla mumbles something under his bandana, perhaps about thatonething?"

```

DO remember what you are wearing and what others are wearing. Someone might be holding a visible gun in their belt but under that coat and long baggy shirt, its probably pretty hidden

DO USE THINK AND FEEL- This is a big one for me and is usually how I can tell if I like my char or not. If I do I can think away all day about little to nothing. Think helps you get into char and flush him or her out more, making it easier to play a deeper and layered character.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:13 am      Reply with quote

^ I'm not certain what you mean by "asking questions in emotes."

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:44 am      Reply with quote

Guts wrote:
DON'T ask questions in your emotes- This irritates me like no other. I've seen it a few times and if frankly burns me up inside. This is something like "Bla mumbles something under his bandana, perhaps about thatonething?

I think something like 'Blah mumbles something under his bandana, perhaps about thatonething' is fine and the question mark is probably just a personal style preference. Seeing as you can't whisper to yourself, I think it's a very effective way of getting across the general idea of something where people might catch a few words but not the whole of what you're saying.

Guts
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:45 am      Reply with quote

padweld999 wrote:
^ I'm not certain what you mean by "asking questions in emotes."

I do not see this very frequently, just once every so often. Its questions in emotes that aren't words and are there to lead you to know what people are talking or mumbling about without them using quotes or just saying things. Even if its still unclear, I don't like seeing question marks in emotes, feels wrong.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:23 am      Reply with quote

oh, ok, I was just a little confused for a moment, i was thinking you weren't a fan of speaking using the emote system! No, I get the issue. I mean, I don't mind it myself, but I guess its a personal style thing, I see why it would bother you.

Angrboda
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:13 pm      Reply with quote

Hmm.

DO modify your RP to be a little more newbie-friendly, if you happen to have chosen a clan and have one around. Yeah, maybe Billy's annoying as heck and your taciturn gunslinger would never give him the time of day, but just drag him to the sewers with you once, at least. That doesn't mean giving up your character, just be flexible to help teach them the ropes.

DO try to think up 'ticks' for your character. Having three or four of these can really help your RP, from biting nails to flipping hair, restless leg syndrome, etc. It can keep you from defaulting to he says she says without anything to flavor it.

DO question your own character choices, and avoid stereotypes. If you've been playing your character for two weeks, and you can describe him/her in one word, you're probably not giving them enough depth.

DO react to things as appropriate with OOC rolls to judge your response. Wil is always good for that, to see if you can handle pain. Or Agi if you avoid someone coming through the door as you're leaving, or smack into them. Obviously no one wants you rolling constantly, but an odd roll for a random stat check can always make for interesting RP.

DO try to show instead of tell. I know sometimes you're rushed and want to get your point across, but it's a very slippery slope from there to...

DON'T turn your emotes into opinions, or private thoughts. Such as 'Bill looks disgustedly at Marysue, who is such a total cheat at cards. He thinks this is all totally stupid, anyways.' Obv an extreme example, but the subtle ones are just as bad. 'Bill watches Marysue, probably cheating at cards again.'

Seriously one of my biggest pet peeves in RP

Kristina
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:17 pm      Reply with quote

DO Use your surroundings to flavor your emotes or tells. Much more interesting when your PC interacts with the world around him/her. (ie: target things using *)

DO Emote real life mannerisms when idling or chit chatting. Do you shift from one foot to the other? Do you pull at loose threads on your t-shirt? Most of us will be constantly moving when we're idly talking or hanging about, even if we don't realize it.

DO Emote/elaborate on your expression. Is your face a blank slate, bland and boring? Probably not. Smile and nod, we all do that a lot. How about grimacing, sneering, squinting, etc. etc.

DO Bookmark a thesaurus, and have it open as you play. These are so darned helpful during long scenes, and help avoid repetition in your RP. Unless you are a human thesaurus, then disregard.

Sabrelon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:39 pm      Reply with quote

Angrboda wrote:
Hmm.

DO modify your RP to be a little more newbie-friendly, if you happen to have chosen a clan and have one around. Yeah, maybe Billy's annoying as heck and your taciturn gunslinger would never give him the time of day, but just drag him to the sewers with you once, at least. That doesn't mean giving up your character, just be flexible to help teach them the ropes.

DO try to think up 'ticks' for your character. Having three or four of these can really help your RP, from biting nails to flipping hair, restless leg syndrome, etc. It can keep you from defaulting to he says she says without anything to flavor it.

DO question your own character choices, and avoid stereotypes. If you've been playing your character for two weeks, and you can describe him/her in one word, you're probably not giving them enough depth.

DO react to things as appropriate with OOC rolls to judge your response. Wil is always good for that, to see if you can handle pain. Or Agi if you avoid someone coming through the door as you're leaving, or smack into them. Obviously no one wants you rolling constantly, but an odd roll for a random stat check can always make for interesting RP.

DO try to show instead of tell. I know sometimes you're rushed and want to get your point across, but it's a very slippery slope from there to...

DON'T turn your emotes into opinions, or private thoughts. Such as 'Bill looks disgustedly at Marysue, who is such a total cheat at cards. He thinks this is all totally stupid, anyways.' Obv an extreme example, but the subtle ones are just as bad. 'Bill watches Marysue, probably cheating at cards again.'

Seriously one of my biggest pet peeves in RP

I agree with all of this extensively, especially the newbie point, as I've personally found that you can be a dick, stay true to your character, and still be helpful in teaching the newbie the ropes as long as you go about it in certain ways.

Page 1 of 3   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic