Register a new account  
The Roleplaying Thread That Won't Devolve Into Policing
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
starsignal
Registered

just a page in someone's book

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:44 pm      Reply with quote

DO take a second to proof your emote before you hit enter. I'm guilty of this as much as anyone else, but typos/misspellings can really break immersion, so it's a good habit to get into.

Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:49 pm      Reply with quote

I'm dyslexic and I can't always see my mistakes. It's going to happen.

starsignal
Registered

just a page in someone's book

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:14 pm      Reply with quote

Of course it's going to happen, we all make allowances. All the more reason to try to catch the little things when possible, I think!

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:41 pm      Reply with quote

starsignal wrote:
DO take a second to proof your emote before you hit enter. I'm guilty of this as much as anyone else, but typos/misspellings can really break immersion, so it's a good habit to get into.

On the counter of this, DON'T ooc to correct yourself if what you meant to say is glaringly obvious.

Sabrelon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:53 pm      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
starsignal wrote:

On the counter of this, DON'T ooc to correct yourself if what you meant to say is glaringly obvious.

I could not possibly +1 this enough. I may not be the smartest person around (Holmes can attest tot that), but I definitely can tell when someone clearly means something, though spells/says it slightly off.

Guts
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:06 pm      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
starsignal wrote:

this^

And if its really bad where you can't understand what it is just fix the error with the same emote, most clients save what you input.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:24 pm      Reply with quote

"The Roleplaying Thread That Won't Devolve Into Policing"

DO offers DO's.

DON'T offer DON'Ts.

cruelcore
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:04 pm      Reply with quote

One thing I've always been cautious about - when two characters are posing about trying to grab one another, or something similar, is it kosher to go OOC and ask for a roll to decide the winner?

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:05 pm      Reply with quote

DO use your commands intelligently. I have played medical characters, I have played techies and chemists, and please go beyond the very basic bits of emoting that are automatic for a lot of your tasks. Believe me, I -know- it is hard sometimes, especially if you don't have a lot of experience with the subject matter OOC. To this I say "do a little research!" Even just googling and searching for 10-15 minutes can give you enough of a barebones knowledge to sound better and produce an emote or two.

That was a suggestion. Telling you to please, PLEASE do it when teaching people these sort of commands and crafts is more of "I get extremely annoyed when I see this not happening." Because I know we are better than that. We are veterans for the most part, we have played before, and there are other posts by the admins that point out how this should be done.

Going along with that, DO emote out the turfquests please, especially if other people are in the room. Looks much better and not like you just walk around spam-grabbing them every day.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:08 pm      Reply with quote

cruelcore wrote:
One thing I've always been cautious about - when two characters are posing about trying to grab one another, or something similar, is it kosher to go OOC and ask for a roll to decide the winner?

that's...that's an area that requires trust on the part of both people involved. I tend to roll vs and show it if its an actual emote 'fight'. If its just trying to duck someone putting you in a friendly head-lock, I also roll, but may keep it hidden and react accordingly. But doing it behind the scenes requires that you trust the other person enough to roll and act accordingly and not just make up crazy, insane ninja-moves. So if you don't know that person and their RP? I would try to make it a common practice to roll vs ? ooc and not leave it in doubt.

Page 2 of 3   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic