Register a new account  
Food
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Throttle
Administrator

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:32 am      Reply with quote

Discuss anything to do with food.

How easy/hard are clans finding it to feed themselves? What about indies?

Does any particular animal give too little or too much meat?

Is there anything within reason that you think should be cookable but isn't?

By the way, there is now an unskilled craft to roast rat-carcasses.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:48 am      Reply with quote

Yay on the rat-carcass craft.

Food isn't hard to get as a family, nobody seems to be starving but it does require a moderate amount of effort to make sure food is in acceptable supply so I feel at the moment its fairly balanced.

Butchering wise, butchering a Lagato results in FAR less food than turning it into tubs of paste and in turn turning those tubs into packets. I'm talking like a lagato can net 50-60 packets of food when processed but if you butcher it you get 5-10 packets worth of eating.

One of my biggest suggestions for a food sink is some sort of power generation device or mechanic device that requires food paste to work and provides benefits to a clan if they keep it fueled.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:49 am      Reply with quote

^ awesome news on the rat carcasses, love the idea. Also, I personally have no issue with the smaller game and the meat it provides, which is most of what I have seen. If anybody could comment on Lagatos and other large predator butchery, would be cool.

As for clans feeding themselves, I know that my clan is doing quite well in that regard, in that I never hear about anybody going hungry, and we always have a fairly decent stockpile of food laying about, whether roasted or food packets.

Throttle
Administrator

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:58 am      Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that lagatos now yield somewhat more meat on average than they did before.

Sphinx
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:02 pm      Reply with quote

Flincher14 wrote:
One of my biggest suggestions for a food sink is some sort of power generation device or mechanic device that requires food paste to work and provides benefits to a clan if they keep it fueled.

This sort of exists, in that a lot of the maintenance crafts for things like water, power, and food units, require grease. Grease is made from hydrocarbons, which is made from food paste. Hydrocarbons are also used for a couple of other crafts.

Or did you mean in addition to this?

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:19 pm      Reply with quote

Sphinx wrote:
Flincher14 wrote:

This sort of exists, in that a lot of the maintenance crafts for things like water, power, and food units, require grease. Grease is made from hydrocarbons, which is made from food paste. Hydrocarbons are also used for a couple of other crafts.

Or did you mean in addition to this?

In addition too, something low tech that provides a broader benefit to everyone. Grease and hydrocarbons are great and useful for some crafters and crafts but perhaps no everyone gets motivated to get food for those crafts.

If on the other hand you had a paste run generator that powered something more tangible you'd have more people going out into the wilderness for the sole purpose of getting extra food. Because right now food is a by product of getting attacked by waves and waves of enemies while you are scavenging. I said food was balanced before but perhaps we need to make it so groups and hunters go out for the sole purpose of filling a food deficit because at this point food just comes easily without extra effort.

As to what benefits..you'd have to throw out ideas, maybe make it so mechanics can build a handcart with a motor that runs off paste and that will let you haul around more scav on trips like a low tech robot. (Very niche but its just an idea) If we didn't have all our electricity provided by neutron generators it would be cool if there was a paste generator that provided the electricity instead.

A personal favorite of mine is an oil lamp that runs on scooped paste from a tub as a low tech solution to not having a flashlight or glow stick.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:21 pm      Reply with quote

Better then regular leathers isn't a good enough motivater?

Nemuri
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:57 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
Better then regular leathers isn't a good enough motivater?

Plenty of motivation for me.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:46 pm      Reply with quote

you all need motivation to go kill demon-lizards?! Pssh, as long as we have enough people, I'd do it four times a day if I could.

Sabrelon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:00 pm      Reply with quote

This may just be my perspective on the matter, but it appears to me the roasted croc-meat produced when cooked doesn't fill up nearly as much as I'd expect it to. I couldn't say how much they breathe for, but it seems they have less value than a reconstituted packet. Is this intentional?

Page 1 of 2   Θ   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic