Register a new account  
Sparring Weapons
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:44 pm      Reply with quote

I'm talking about the people grinding their skillz up to adroit in the back of their gang HQs.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:04 pm      Reply with quote

^ ok, let's step back for a second and realize something here: THIS IS A GAME. and I don't mean that in a condescending way, since I am addicted to it, just like all of you. But what that means is that people are going to horribly abuse the system if we put in lots of sparring weapons, twink all day, and rock the house when they go outside -far- more than people who go out every single day for the real combat and don't have time to spar. it's not a good system and is very twinky, honestly.

what IF we put it in so that people could only train to familiar with sparring weapons, and then it would not let them crank it out anymore?

Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:05 pm      Reply with quote

I wouldn't be at all sad to see plastic weapons, trash bludgeons and trash small blades gone entirely, personally.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:07 pm      Reply with quote

There are some people who are interested in being combatants but are only able to go out every once in awhile. There are people who have characters who are determined to be good fighters, no matter the cost - the trouble with 'only fight when you go on runs' means the lazy chemist who has amateur sblade and boosted d-wield can get theoretically the same skill level as the guy who only fights, short of twinking in the sewers- there's no perfect solution, certainly. But I think sparring, when used 'sparingly' isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Guts
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:07 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
I'm talking about the people grinding their skillz up to adroit in the back of their gang HQs.

^This is something I am worried about

*edit

I remember in the SOI days i had a char that I was able to grind up to master dualwield, med edge and high adriot small pierce all from sparring (granted they had sparring npcs) but I only left the confines of the city a handful of times and was the deadliest guy in the town

imany
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:14 pm      Reply with quote

Could cap skill gain at talented from the 'hit' command and only learn from fighting to the death and teaching after that. Though, there was a period when I thought you could not stop fighting once using the kill command? But can now. I don't know. I like sparring and wouldn't change my habits in any case since sparring is one of the things that I can just do while standing around HQ.

Though. I'd like to see sparring equate a teaching moment when accompanied with proper RP. I'm not sure it does right now.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:27 pm      Reply with quote

imany wrote:
Could cap skill gain at talented from the 'hit' command and only learn from fighting to the death and teaching after that.

This would be a bad idea, because most people utilize "hit" against aggro npcs.

Yoink
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:30 pm      Reply with quote

Yeah, that sort of distinction between hit and kill really shouldn't be a thing...

As for sparring, I like Padweld's 'only-to-familiar' idea. Seems like a good compromise to me- we keep sparring in for realism, but prevent people from twink-maxing their skills with it.
Sounds good to me!

Tiamat
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:17 pm      Reply with quote

Depends on if anybody has the coding know-how to implement that kind of thing. MUD coders are always in short supply, and the code-base is held on duct-tape and prayers. Without any real coder, I think the only real application is to make a prop sparring weapon that has a practice craft that can get you up to Familiar or whatever. If you want to spar, you'll have to do it with real weapons.

Throttle
Administrator

Post Posted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:38 pm      Reply with quote

Kithrater joined us, but he's on vacation just now.

Page 4 of 8   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic