Navigation

Home

Register a new account  
A Short Poll on Answering Notify
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic

Poll Question and Results: I respond to notifies too...
Just let people know I'm on 18 votes, 46%
Let someone know they should be able to find me at my regular haunts 17 votes, 43%
I don't respond to notifies/Nobody notifies me 4 votes, 10%
Total Votes : 39
wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:14 am      Reply with quote

So, it occurs to me that there is no hard and fast ettiquette to notify.
So here's a quick poll. Options ought to be self explanatory-- Feel free to discuss here how you prefer it to be used.

For the record: Assuming polls can be restarted and set to allow multiple answers, I'll be starting another one later asking: "Why do you notify?" as well.
This is stuff that interests me.

Bogre
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:48 am      Reply with quote

I'll respond to notifies just to let people know I'm on and generally around. If it's a direct notify or clan notify I usually respond.

I sometimes ping my clan and sometimes the Grunge with it.

One thing I always see though, is when people see notifies they jump to, "Oh, notify! I should totally send one and find people!" However, then the first person gets no notifications.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:54 am      Reply with quote

^ especially that last bit. Please don't do that, it's a touch annoying.

Mannfreid
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:37 am      Reply with quote

I notify sometimes just to tell people I'm around.

There have been more then a few times I notify when I've been looking for someone, and it's when they are usualy on, and I can't find them. Like " Huh, is this a waste of my time"

Dunno if that's cool or not.

Aesuna
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:43 am      Reply with quote

This is generally how it goes for me:

If it's a direct notify, I notify if I'm online and not in the middle of a scene I can't soon wrap up. Then I usually go to where I usually hang out.
If I am actively looking for them, say we pre-arranged meeting in the future ICly, I directly notify them back when I get to my usual haunts or where we agreed to meet before.

If it's a clan notify, and the notifier is my clanlead or superior, I notify if I am available for some kind of group outing or I am more or less free.
If it's not my clanlead, I notify if I am available in my usual haunts and looking for RP.

If it's a general game-side notify, I notify back if I am actively looking for RP and/or I really like RPing with that character and am available.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

When I'm on a PC, I only respond to notifies if I plan to be available to roleplay, and am somewhere that whoever's notifying can probably find me.

When I'm on my admin, I only respond to notifies if I'm about to murder you.

padweld999
Registered

no, that's part of the reason it exists. I notify specific people as a way of saying "Hey, I'm looking for you for an IC reason, please come around if you have the time." Its just a nudge to promote roleplay, completely a good use of it.

Sabrelon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:58 am      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
When I'm on a PC, I only respond to notifies if I plan to be available to roleplay, and am somewhere that whoever's notifying can probably find me.

When I'm on my admin, I only respond to notifies if I'm about to murder you.

Especially the admin part. 'cause that totally applies.

eltanimras
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:14 am      Reply with quote

I used to reply to notifies just to let people know I was online and generally fond of them: "If your PC can't find mine, it's for IC reasons, not OOC ones." Unfortunately, this turned out to be a source of frustration and all-around headache for players who were inquiring about my RP availability rather than my online status ... and possibly forgoing other opportunities on the basis of my reply. Sad

Now I reply when I'm either available and findable or about to be so.

If my PC's really somewhere odd, or if I'm busy but I know the player notifying has been trying to catch me for a while, I'll answer by mudmail or PM:
"I'm on, but my character hasn't shown up for work today."
"I'm on, but a bit caught up in things. Will you still be around in an hour or so?"

But, really, the days when people notified me are long gone. Razz

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:34 am      Reply with quote

Please stop notifying with a mesh on. Or I am going to have to start putting a scarf on to notify back. Sad

Page 1 of 2   Θ   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic