Register a new account  
Group Scavenging and You
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:13 pm      Reply with quote

I'd like to re-open something for discussion/give a guide as to how I see scavenging/group combat out in the wastes works, and why groups (sometimes) behave the way they do.

First: sometimes we just go out to cull wildlife, really. That's the primary goal. Because if we don't(Staff can pipe in here or not), the wildlife gets even worse. Sometimes our primary goal is just to kill the roaming packs of lagatos, beetles, or shredders. Otherwise it gets out of hand. As time goes on, we have more armor/better skills, this'll need to be done less.

Second: Sometimes we're aiming for incredibly rare things out in the wilderness that are only available in 3-4 rooms. Datasticks are a big one of these things. While it might not be incredibly valuable to individuals, it is what makes clans run. They survive off of these things.

Third: Scav runs sometimes go overlong. Sometimes you only get to the place after an incredible delay. The medics(who deserve a chance to play with their skills/shine) take too long. Nobody skins. People idle. People won't pick up the corpses. People are delayed in scavenging. People decide to break apart machinery which takes even longer. People argue over scav. Things run overllong sometimes, and that means you don't get as much of X activity (combat/scavenging/medical work/roleplay) as you might've liked.

Just remember: scav runs aren't only about you, and they aren't only about scavenging. More than anything they're about Indie/Inter-Family roleplay. If things don't go the way/aren't run the way you like to, maybe consider the IC/OOC reasons that they went the way they did.

Now--I know this is maybe a little risky/flamebaiting, given the last thread that opened up on this subject. But I'm open for discussion.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
caellyndria
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:39 pm      Reply with quote

My semi-helpful advice!

For all: Please pay attention. I know it gets long and boring, but when people stop paying attention, it takes even longer. If you're only half paying attention to a constantly moving screen, yeah, the requests for medics are gonna get lost and the calls for patients are too. The mend-up times literally give me the twitches because its a bunch of people not saying HEAL ME or medics missing people saying HEAL ME or people arguing over which medic does what.

Try to do what makes things run smooth. Yeah, I totally want medics emoting being a medic, but at the same time, there's a balance to keep things moving and playable while out in the wilds. Don't hang back and be shy about requesting or giving treatment. Try to organize with other medics and call out a treat order, that way you know who has who. Make RP that isn't only good role portrayal, but something that makes the whole operation run smoothly from a gameplay standpoint.

RE Machines: Your machine has the same potential to give the shit that other person's machine does. Pay ATTENTION to the checks that tell you how many gears and wires and scrap you're getting, then take only those. That way, everyone can tear down efficiently and quickly.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:42 pm      Reply with quote

caellyndria wrote:

RE Machines: Your machine has the same potential to give the shit that other person's machine does. Pay ATTENTION to the checks that tell you how many gears and wires and scrap you're getting, then take only those. That way, everyone can tear down efficiently and quickly.

Before anyone goes 'HOW DO YOU KNOW', I'd like to confirm this.

Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:51 pm      Reply with quote

Regarding medical roleplay:

If you're playing a medic, always assume that the other player is going to be so slow about responding to you that it becomes an OOC issue and delay. Do your treatment, do your emotes. Just go on and do it. I did this with Bet sometimes, when people in fighting groups weren't really paying attention, and have never received a complaint. The onus is on the other player to react to you, and if they're delaying a group of 30 people by taking three minutes to "emote pulls up his coat", that's an issue. Just treat them.

N.B. staff may disagree pretty vehemently with the above. I don't know.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:57 pm      Reply with quote

I think the entire spam treating of every little injury after every fight to be kind of ridiculous, to be honest.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 am      Reply with quote

Amg my stubbed toe fix it Holmes fix it D:

Yeah, I'd like to...really underline that. It kinda bugs me how people react to wounds - any chance we could get that post from the Atonement forums about what each injury was comparable to? I've seen people limping with minors and coughing up blood from a mod to the torso- and while I don't mind RPing above and beyond the coded impact of the injury, if a minor is making you limp bad, what would you do with a severe or terrible?

Nemuri
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:34 am      Reply with quote

kog wrote:
Amg my stubbed toe fix it Holmes fix it D:

Yeah, I'd like to...really underline that. It kinda bugs me how people react to wounds - any chance we could get that post from the Atonement forums about what each injury was comparable to? I've seen people limping with minors and coughing up blood from a mod to the torso- and while I don't mind RPing above and beyond the coded impact of the injury, if a minor is making you limp bad, what would you do with a severe or terrible?

This, a thousand times over. It makes me feel badly when I have to talk shit to people ICly who overdo moderates and under as life-threatening/altering injuries, or people who treat severes as if they were minors, and are bouncing around like normal the second it's downgraded to moderate.

Please drag that old wound guide post out.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:18 am      Reply with quote

RP policing Godwin's Law go.

That aside: minors and above ought to be treated/bandaged, generally, especially when it comes to lagato-wounds. Their mouths have been described as similiar to komodo dragons, a species with a mouth so full of infectious bacteria that people thought they were venomous.

Not treating/cleaning them, and generally quickly, could--until that fact is retconned away--be considered pretty stupid.

ETA:
Seriously, though, can we not run in to every thread with "People suck at RPing"? This wasn't and isn't about that.

Rome
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:47 am      Reply with quote

This last run took over two hours to organize, and two hours and counting to do. I admire the people who have this much dedication to do this every day. Also, the amount of attention it takes to do lead something like this is another point of admiration. But as a daily thing, it's only possible for me as I am on break.

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:48 am      Reply with quote

My rules of thumb that I follow during the times when I would lead forage runs:

1.Gather, organize and distribute the weight evenly among the crowd. no sense in having one combatant out of the fight with 300 lbs of scav when you can divvy it up among six other people.

2.Don't fuck with anything until AFTER you get back. Unless it falls into two categories: its too big to haul back as is or its mostly junk with one good thing to get out of it. Otherwise stuff it in your pack and keep going.

3.Know what you're looking for and have your best foragers target those items via the forage survey command.

4.Make sure everyone has a role to play and that they know exactly what that role is. Easily the most problematic scenario when you have three different gangs in on a run with three different ideas on how things should be done. Ideally this should be taken care of before you even leave Rust.

You synchronise a resilient, pink handheld control with a
rubbery screen to a vaguely-humanoid mountain of machinery
Page 1 of 4   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic