Home

Register a new account  
Group Scavenging and You
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Mannfreid
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 pm      Reply with quote

I like the current way we scav, system wise.

Kalopsios
Registered

Summer Intern

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 pm      Reply with quote

Reading this thread brought to mind an idea most people don't consider, don't realize they've considered it, or disregard entirely: You are not your character and your character does not define how you as a player interact with the game ( I'll mention why I say that here, but full elaboration on that should be saved for another post, I think). Essentially, even if you play an introverted or reactionary character, you as a player don't have to be introverted and reactionary.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that players who are proactive in role playing (that is, generating role play for themselves and others in some way or another) tend to have more fun than players who are purely reactive because they have a larger hand in their own fate and aren't as reliant on variables out of their control.

You can be proactive on scav runs in quite a few ways, many mentioned in the thread already. Thinks are great for admins up top but don't show for other players, but because other players are who you'll be interacting with the most, they're probably not the best way to generate fun unless there's someone up there watching.

Instead, use emotes and says which involve other people and allow them to react (see my post in the role playing tips thread). If you're playing an introvert, you may have to put a little thought into just how you can do so while still staying true to your concept of your character. And notice how I said your concept: You define it. Otherwise I'd have said "the character you're playing," as if it defines how you play.

Some ways that come quickly to mind for me:
    - You accidentally bump into that huge creepy dude you've never talked to. Will a fight start? Will he end up the best friend you've ever had?
    - Maybe you've talked to that other guy before, you know, at the place? With the stuff? Maybe there's no way to figure out unless you ask him, and maybe it'll bother you all cycle unless you figure out.
    - Your higher-up looks like he's struggling with that heavy pack, doesn't he? You could win some merit points maybe if you offer to carry it for him.
    - That song's been stuck in your head all fucking day so it's no wonder you can't help but sing it, and maybe you're a little louder than you thought.

None of those require anyone's input but your own to initiate and most of them can be done by anyone. And if you don't like any of them, all you've got to do is get a little clever about it and take the legato by its reptilian nuts and take action as a player.

And maybe the spam is too much to role play through or other players just won't role play. Both are unfortunate and something we're looking into. But if you shut down, there's absolutely no chance of having fun, and that's even more unfortunate because that's the ultimate goal of a game, isn't it? And yes, despite how some people treat it, PRPI is a game and exists for the people involved to have fun.

Which brings me to another point: If it's not fun for you, don't do it. If you hate going on scav runs, don't go on scav runs. And then if a problem arises from no one ever going on scav runs, we as admins will see that hey, something ought to be fixed because no one's having fun with the current system.

Note - I'm not trying to place all the blame for the grindfest that is scav runs onto the players; I'm only trying to point out a way to have fun regardless of the situation or whether or not an admin is actively interacting with the group.

Chrjo12
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:31 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
I think everyone took one example I put and thought it was the only thing they could ever emote. Scenesetting is about way more than that D=.

Neg. It was a provided, easy example. I'm aware there's more to it than that.

@Kal: I get all that. I suppose half of my problem is the definition of my character, lol. I guess I'll try to figure out new things to do.

Yoink
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:53 am      Reply with quote

padweld999 wrote:
also keep in mind that these people have been born on the moon, and grown up in this hostile environment. Looking out at the landscape probably doesn't freak them out to a huge amount.

Although at the same time, according to lore actually venturing out of the gates is viewed as incredibly dangerous, most often fatal and often tantamount to madness.
I'm sure people could summon up a little nervousness at that. Smile

@Kal's post: I agree with pretty much everything, there.
The scav runs I've been on have been, whilst spammy, quite enjoyable. A lot of this is because I'm happy to throw out plenty of meaningless little emotes- and on the runs I've joined, others have done that, too.
I also like your ideas of off-the-wall hooks for interaction- I don't often do those sort of things, but when I do it's generally quite rewarding. Even if the other PC doesn't happen to frequent the place you thought you recognized them from, those kinds of mistakes are things that happen all the time IRL- it can add a sense of believability to a scene.

I kinda rambled there, but I liked that post. Razz

Shy
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:16 am      Reply with quote

Okay - about being a medic on a scav trip.

As a brand new player here, I've encountered two issues.

1. I'm not healing people up fast enough for some

2. I'm healing people up too fast for some

Heheheh! Not trying to ruin anyone's scav rp, but dang it !

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:29 am      Reply with quote

@Shy: At that point, you really have either two options.
A) Do your thing, don't care what people say. You're not gonna make the whole trip happy.
B) Look to what the people you consider to be the best at RPing are saying, and follow that as a guideline for how fast/slow to do things.

Usually? It's a little of both. Some people don't know what they want, some people just aren't worth listening to, and sometimes it's just not possible to acquiesce to their requests. So do what works for you.

caellyndria
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:05 pm      Reply with quote

Shy: It's a tricky balance to be a medic. It's not an easy role if you want to play one well. If you ever need help beyond this bit, feel free to PM me because I've played a few from just medic to full surgeon.

Here's the thing, though-- You have to emote and keep pretty good tabs OOCly on what's going on with the people. Sometimes it's infuriating. People won't speak up, or they speak up over and over, or things get lost in the spam in the middle of you diagnosing over and over. You have to know what to use on which kind of wound given which circumstances and supply allotment. My personal guidelines and things to consider based on things I've seen from multiple presumably learning medics on some of these runs.

-- You have to pay a lot of attention. Sometimes during boring runs, that kind of sucks and sometimes when the screen is moving fast, it's hard. It's important, though, not to accidentally haste-treat someone who's emoted being treated by someone else or in a position where they aren't ready/willing to be treated at all.

-- Use medicine to keep people alive on major trips if you have the supplies for it.It doesn't matter if that wound is minor, you have to think long term-- Using medicine can sometimes take a small wound away entirely and give that PC more HP to fight with on the next round. Medicine is replaceable. PCs aren't.

-- Try to call out a treat order, especially if you're working with other medics. It not only helps organize and cut down on cross-treats and confusion, but it helps both you and the people waiting to be treated. If you have twenty people waiting to be healed, call out three at a time in an order, then work on them that way with small emoted approaches/work things. It not only helps you keep things going, it helps the person know they aren't lost in the spam, it helps the other medics, and it gives people a chance to speak up if they -don't- want/need treatment.

-- Make sure and check people for bullets when there's been firefights. You shouldn't treat over bulletwounds with medicine and things because that's gonna cause a bit of RP issue when it's time for someone with real medical skew to remove that bullet. Remember-- extracting bullets isn't something that checks the first aid skill, it checks the actual medical skill, so try to defer that to real doctors if at all possible to avoid more damage on removal.

-- Don't spam treat. I know it's tempting when it's busy and hectic. There's gotta be a balance though, between people having to tell a medic to heal every time and getting treat ambushed. Emote approach, let the person respond favorably, then go to town with RP that combines what you're doing all in one for minors or more depth for bigger wounds.

For everyone else that isn't a medic? Understand it can get overly hectic for the player. Don't waste time by bouncing them all around to this person and this person first before doing you, if they come to you and you need it, take the treatment. It's faster than arguing over who needs it more. Don't be hateful on OOC if a medic is playing things the way you wouldn't-- be constructive and helpful if the need arises or send the player a MUDmail.

Page 4 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic