Register a new account  
Distraction
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
starsignal
Registered

just a page in someone's book

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:53 pm      Reply with quote

I guess I'm just looking for the community standard here, because I've seen a lot of this and I'm not really sure how to react to it.

Where do people stand on the issue of multitasking while playing? I'm not talking about small things, like checking Facebook or reading a webcomic or quickly switching back and forth between windows. I'm talking about people who are playing LoL in another window, or are in class, or are doing something equally immersive that results in RP partners waiting (I'm not exaggerating) ten minutes for a simple emote, during which time other emotes may or may not be missed.

I understand that it's just a game and that sometimes things happen that prevent us from being as attentive as we'd like, but I feel like I'm noticing a lot of perpetually distracted people with no explanation as to what the holdup is. As someone who is placing my primary focus on the game whenever I'm playing, I get really frustrated when I'm trying to RP with someone and I get the sense that they're not.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it just something you expect and take in stride? Does it really matter? Do you just blow it off and find fun somewhere else? Do you say something OOCly? Curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:57 pm      Reply with quote

I try it sometimes and then immediately feel guilty, but I'm not offended if someone else seems to be doing it.

Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:02 pm      Reply with quote

I have a lot of stuff going on at home; if I'm playing usually shit comes up and is pretty unavoidable. I feel bad, but since it's a perpetual state I wouldn't be able to play at all if it weren't the case. Still, I try to keep my diversions at a minimum when I know someone is waiting on my responses.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:28 pm      Reply with quote

With the exception of people who cannot avoid distractions at any cost (RL work, children, etc) , it is usually very, very bad form to be playing other intensive games and such and making other people wait for you to tab back in.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:42 pm      Reply with quote

Only Bogre can be Bogre, okay?

caellyndria
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:48 pm      Reply with quote

If it becomes a habit with someone that you pay with regularly, maybe drop them a line in game mail. I know someone I used to play pretty closely with and didn't talk to OOCly had a particular time of day where things were just distracting and I had no idea... so I just took it as them being a dick instead of just slow.

Generally, though, people that are superslow as a habit tend to drive me nuts, but all you can try to do is make an excuse IG and disengage RP if it's really bothering you. I understand wanting someone's effort and time pointed your way when you're doing the same, after all!

Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:08 pm      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
Only Bogre can be Bogre, okay?

Not fair. I'd love to take a nap and come back to things.

And then they kissed. They kissed like like lovers, like friends, like rivals, like enemies. They kissed... like soul mates.
Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:36 pm      Reply with quote

I tend to multitask if we're on some sort of run, because I tend to get real bored real fast. I try to keep the window in a spot I can see, so I can fight when needed.

Rome
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:35 pm      Reply with quote

Personally, I can't multitask, so I don't do it. If I am multi tasking, I'm just shopping for clothes in another window.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:25 am      Reply with quote

If my character is standing there drooling on itself, it usually means my connection broke.

Page 1 of 2   Θ   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic