Navigation

Home

Register a new account  
Gold. Should it be for sale?
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic

Poll Question and Results: Should Gold Be For Sale?
Yes 20 votes, 83%
No (but should still be available via scav and plots) 4 votes, 16%
Total Votes : 24
kel
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:05 pm      Reply with quote

Disclaimer: This isn't about removing ammo/guns from the game. The staff like em, so they're gonna stick. It's more about regulation. The pros and cons. A topic open for (hopefully non flaming) discussion.

I'll toss in a few (fairly substantiated though still personal) observations.

1) Gold is for sale.

2) Gold is rather costly. This is presumably done to help regulate the supply.

3) People, in the indie and family community both, are still able to put together enough ships to keep a fair amount of ammo around in the game. (To back the "fair amount in game" notion, there's a shop with dozens of rounds for sale)

4) Hundreds of chips are being sunk into an npc shop, removing a substantial amount of wealth from the PC economy, that may or may not hurt the ebb and flow of the game, including the indie and family interactions.

5) There have already been several gun-based-deaths in the last month, that may or may not be related to the fact that gold is up for sale.

6) More readily available ammo helps to assist with certain functions (shooting a gato from a distance to make it bleed, shootouts with cannibandits, executing people you don't like, mugging, random hate crimes, etc) that may, or may not, be as easy to do without the firearms.

So we know the gold is being bought, rounds being pressed. The question is, does having it up for sale to anyone who can cough up a black chip and find someone to make the rounds, allow -too- much ammo into the game? Should it be limited to scav, and rewards for solving "quests"?

Please vote and discuss.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:15 pm      Reply with quote

Making it available via scav(It already is) means that the rate is pretty much uncontrollable. Plotloading has serious disadvantages(Oh, you didn't log in to this one scav? NO GOLD FOR YOU).

Chips -need- to leave the economy, because chips are entering it nonstop. If you don't have a chipsink to remove the chips from the economy, then there's inflation. You'll see that we have this same problem with hides right now, because the main hidesink(haggle) has been removed. If we remove the main chipsink(gold), that'll be removed.

Everything IG except gold, molds, and cleaning kits can be earned/made elsewhere. The economy is balanced(precariously) around buying gold.

ETA:

A shop having dozens of gold bullets isn't much--you make 100+ a pop for .20s, and 37 a pop for .35s. The requirements for a Family to full arm their dozens+ members is enough that that dozen bullets isn't going to even make a dent.

Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:23 pm      Reply with quote

The player characters that have died to gunfire (executions excluded) have been killed by other player characters who have purchased large quantities of ammunition from the chargen shop, without exception, that I've seen so far. So point 5 is a bit iffy.

kel
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:23 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Everything IG except gold, molds, and cleaning kits can be earned/made elsewhere. The economy is balanced(precariously) around buying gold.

I agree. Chip sinks are needed to keep the economy balanced. But, the gold is a rather costly sink, at a minimum of 100 chips a pop.

There are also tool kits (which aren't always so easy to scav up to put together, given the current game state). Cleaning kits, as you mentioned. Molds, patterns, instructions, etc, which may be one-time-purchased for families, but often aren't so to independent crafters. There are, of course, rent-able shanties, which are costly. And yes, a luxury. Though I'd say no more or less a luxury than gold. There's factory passes, and dye and paint and camo spray. Very expensive metal plating rings, and a number of other things. To the point I wouldn't say that buying gold is the balance point of a fair economy.

kel
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:24 pm      Reply with quote

Aken wrote:
The player characters that have died to gunfire (executions excluded) have been killed by other player characters who have purchased large quantities of ammunition from the chargen shop, without exception, that I've seen so far. So point 5 is a bit iffy.

Which is why I said may or may not be. There's really no way to prove it who's been shot with chargen rounds, and who's been shot with PC crafted rounds. I'm listing it as a possible "thing". .25 pistol rounds are being crafted in game, so I don't really see how it's possible to make a claim such as "without exception".

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:32 pm      Reply with quote

kel wrote:
Aken wrote:

Which is why I said may or may not be. There's really no way to prove it who's been shot with chargen rounds, and who's been shot with PC crafted rounds. I'm listing it as a possible "thing". .25 pistol rounds are being crafted in game, so I don't really see how it's possible to make a claim such as "without exception".

Jacketed rounds from chargen (150 gold a block) vs. armorpiercing rounds (100 gold a block). Players aren't buying 150 gold blocks.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
kel
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:35 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Jacketed rounds from chargen (150 gold a block) vs. armorpiercing rounds (100 gold a block). Players aren't buying 150 gold blocks.

Without seeing them physically loading their guns, is there a way to tell what kind of round is being fired?

(honest question, I'm not very familiar with the gun code)

Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:43 pm      Reply with quote

kel wrote:
grandpa wrote:

Without seeing them physically loading their guns, is there a way to tell what kind of round is being fired?

(honest question, I'm not very familiar with the gun code)

Yeah, looting their corpses.

Fairly sure Holmes has already increased the price of chargen ammunition, since I spoke to him about it, though I wouldn't mind seeing PCs be limited to maybe 12 rounds total out of chargen, even then.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit. I just wanted to address that point.

kel
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:46 pm      Reply with quote

Aken wrote:
Sorry to derail the thread a bit. I just wanted to address that point.

Oh no, it's fine. My opinion is my opinion. But I freely admit that I'm not in a position to know every aspect of it. Thus, figured an open discussion would be good.

Fujikoma
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:55 pm      Reply with quote

Guns don't kill people, *aims revolver* I do. Shocked

Page 1 of 4   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic