Navigation

Home

Register a new account  
Putting lagato Ai back in.
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic

Poll Question and Results: Should Wildlife Suicidally Attack Large Groups?
Yes 5 votes, 23%
No 13 votes, 61%
Alternate Suggestion (replied in thread) 3 votes, 14%
Total Votes : 21
Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:53 pm      Reply with quote

When we opened lagatos would avoid sizeable groups letting us scav freely, admins removed this AI so we would get our asses kicked by swarms of lagato. Which was fun and I agree'd with the choice at the time.

This had a serious side effect of flooding the economy with hides and food. Armor creep is really heavy and since there is so many hides to practice with many armor crafters are nearly maxed out on skills.

I'd like to see lagatos once again avoid groups for multiple reasons:

1. Cut back on the insane amount of food and hides avalible.

2. Encourage smaller group sizes if you want to practice fighting lagatos.

3. Since pc's are now well armed and have better skills, lagatos are barely a threat anymore, initially the Ai was removed so they would batter scav groups down really easy but now they barely scratch a scav team so that point is moot.

4. Once lagato hides and food becomes harder to get it will encourage hunting, and will encourage 5-7 man groups to wander around outside with the purposes of fighting lagato.

5. Demand for food/hides will go up which is a good thing.

Drifter
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:26 pm      Reply with quote

Lagatos just see a bigger, nummy buffet. The ones alive generally go throughout their life without much opposition to their reign as one of the biggest baddies on the moonscape.

But, if just rounding up about 10 people (never mind if they even know how to fight) eliminates the danger of them, the moonscape starts to feel too tame. So, how do you react to the game balance without sacrificing what sliver of danger there is left?

In my mediocre opinion, lagatos should be more uncommon, with a few spawns replaced with packs of something still dangerous to unqualified groups, which doesn't give as strong a reward for dispatching them, like shredders.

That or just, y'know, nerf skin and butcher gains from lagatos, but who likes nerfs?

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:28 pm      Reply with quote

They are not a threat to groups anymore. At most they give someone a severe or grievous so the medic can have some work to do. But usually the most tanky pc's in plate will tank the lagato and hardly get scratched, nullifying the danger.

Drifter
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:57 pm      Reply with quote

That's why I didn't suggest something like those big tanky groups attracting even more lagatos to make up for it. It's just more meat for the breather.

The most that can be done for the wilderness is keeping it dangerous for groups that don't have top shelf damage soakers and vet combatants, since at this point, that's the only group where the wilderness is a threat. Beasts keeping away from a group of people, whether or not said group has good fighters, makes it not dangerous to anyone except solo sneak scavvers.

That's why I suggested there be fewer lagatos, and more of something else that doesn't have as much of a bountiful yield. Some way to help curb the gains without pacifying the outlands.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:03 pm      Reply with quote

Drifter wrote:
That's why I didn't suggest something like those big tanky groups attracting even more lagatos to make up for it. It's just more meat for the breather.

The most that can be done for the wilderness is keeping it dangerous for groups that don't have top shelf damage soakers and vet combatants, since at this point, that's the only group where the wilderness is a threat. Beasts keeping away from a group of people, whether or not said group has good fighters, makes it not dangerous to anyone except solo sneak scavvers.

That's why I suggested there be fewer lagatos, and more of something else that doesn't have as much of a bountiful yield. Some way to help curb the gains without pacifying the outlands.

Less lagato, more shredder/beetlepacks? Could work, but that--especially shredders--makes it worse for solos. Because solos can outrun Lagato. Can't outrun shredders, pretty much.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:24 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Drifter wrote:

Less lagato, more shredder/beetlepacks? Could work, but that--especially shredders--makes it worse for solos. Because solos can outrun Lagato. Can't outrun shredders, pretty much.

I don't want to see soloing get shafted even more. I suggested this before but I'll say it again. I'd like to see a larger more dangerous creature that only shows interest in 10+ groups and can really kick some ass. By showing interest I mean this new baddie wont charge 2 rooms to kill a smaller group or solo person but it will charge down larger groups and will attack smaller groups if you don't avoid it.

That way you can have something really strong to give a challenge to bigger groups and in fact it would encourage smaller groups to go out so said baddie can be avoided. Now the actual form this baddie would take is up for brainstorm.

I'd suggest something like like barker packs that only want to kill larger groups but that doesn't make sense because dog/wolf packs tend to prey on small easy prey. Also barker hides are apparently just as good as lagato hides so that wouldn't solve the hide problem.

If you simply wanted to up the challenge without adding a new creature or foe you could add to the lagato Ai so when it sees a large group it runs away and seeks other lagatos to form a pack, once that first lagato collects 4-5 lagatos it will return to the room it last saw the group, pick up the tracks of the group with the same tracking code it already uses then that pack could go give that group some pain. If the lagato pack doesn't catch up to said group the after 20-30 minutes you could have it disband and return to normal so it doesn't accidentally wipe out a smaller group that goes out later. (If you do this you'd still have to nerf lagato hides and food or hides/food will still be flooding the economy.)

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:32 pm      Reply with quote

[quote=Flincher14]I don't want to see soloing get shafted even more. I suggested this before but I'll say it again. I'd like to see a larger more dangerous creature that only shows interest in 10+ groups and can really kick some ass. By showing interest I mean this new baddie wont charge 2 rooms to kill a smaller group or solo person but it will charge down larger groups and will attack smaller groups if you don't avoid it. [/quote]

I throw in my support for that suggestion. I can't really imagine something tougher than a giant lizard off the top of my head though that wouldn't be poisonous or attack in swarms, except for maybe some kind of giant burrowing worm like off Tremors. Or a large snapping turtle that knows it can't catch individuals so it tries to attack packs in hopes of catching one; would be hella-tough to kill too.

Editted to add: Adding onto that turtle idea, it could've been a closely related species of lagato that evolved to use less energy and survive a long time without food.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:36 pm      Reply with quote

Actually, I rather like the "giant burrowing worm" idea. Maybe it stays hidden until it finds a large group: attracted by the tremors caused by such a large group's movement, it then emerges to attack.
Soloscavvers and smaller groups don't even need to worry about it paying any attention to them, because unless they move around by setting off explosive charges and launching themselves into the air, they just don't create enough of a disturbance to draw its attention.

It doesn't have to be a worm. Hell, it doesn't even need to be hidden. It could be a giant bat or a species of space bear that has no eyes or something.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:51 pm      Reply with quote

I like ^ this. But it means my cyborg sneaker with rocket-launcher feet won't be viable any more, so that's sad. Sad

Tyrael
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:56 pm      Reply with quote

The only reason lagato are being effeciently handled right now, is because the group tactics are being effectively used. Make a lagato run off to find friends, group up, then pack charge you will just result in a heap of people getting killed, not to mention it sounds a bit iffy to code in anyways. I don't really see the hide 'creep' or food 'creep' as being an issue. Once people have the base needs of food covered, it gives us time we need for the fun stuff of RPI, namely the RP. It sounds more like the OP doesn't like big scav runs, and wants the code to change to allow smaller groups to be more effective hunters, since they wouldn't have to chase down a fleeing gato halfway across the moonscape. Resulting problem of that, is people specifically only taking out 5-10 people, all of whom would be fighters, leaving everyone else at home and missing out on the fun of wilderness time.

Page 1 of 3   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic