Home

Register a new account  
Think/Feel
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:23 pm      Reply with quote

One thing not many people seem to know is you can use parentheses like in talk, with thinks.

think (looking at ~joe) What a wanker.

And, regardless of what I said above, if you want to think- just do it. You'll never get bitched at for thinking too much, the worst that'll happen is no one reads it.

Foxtrot
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:38 pm      Reply with quote

Love using Think.

Mostly, I use it a lot to set the general internal mood of my characters and to flesh out their motivations and needs. For me, it helps evolve my character concept.

When exploring, I use it tons. I've always liked and appreciated room descriptions. So I'll usually toss in a comment or two from my characters pov about what I run across in a room description. Sometimes just that thought or observation sticks with my character and evolves into a short term plan.

I use Journal for memories that my character would retain. Significant thoughts, observations, life events, dreams and secret wishes.

Chrjo12
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:28 pm      Reply with quote

I always wondered: do admins get spammed out of events by think/feels?

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:44 pm      Reply with quote

I love think and feel and actually tend to use feel more, these days and often use a mix of explanation and then my character's direct thoughts. If I'm using think, it's almost always bracketed, with the brackets giving context, unless it's some rapid fire response to something.

I'm also a big journal fan- I tend to write mini short stories, dreams, explore present events that I want to get down in more details, or things that happened in the past.

From my perspective as an admin, I personally prefer to read thinks with some context as if I'm not directly watching something, it makes it easier to get an instant feel of what's going on if you've missed a bit.

I don't mind trivial thoughts, but if it's literally 'X thinks, "Hmm,"' I'm likely to switch off a bit.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:58 pm      Reply with quote

I personally have never felt spammed out.

MunEmperor
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:14 pm      Reply with quote

Being able to use brackets in thinks is preeeetty damn cool. Shame you can't use them in feels.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:53 pm      Reply with quote

^ can still use parentheses in feels.

Kou
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:34 am      Reply with quote

I am still adjusting to here, leaning all the commands and getting fully integrated...I totally did not even know!

This will change.

Blondie
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:23 pm      Reply with quote

I don't use think as it doesn't run congruent to the way that I roleplay in MUDs. I feel that since regular characters can only see and interpret my character through my actions that all my efforts should go towards fleshing them out through that medium. I don't codedly -think- because in my head I've got a good idea already of how my character sees a situation.

Since I don't have any vested interest in RPP, and simply want my character to be integrated within the gameworld as much as possible, I haven't felt the need to use it. It feels like I'm roleplaying with myself and that is a strange, out of place sensation that I reserve for actually writing stories.

This is just my personal view on the matter. I'm in no way trying to advocate a "zero-think" mentality.

starsignal
Registered

just a page in someone's book

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:41 pm      Reply with quote

Blondie wrote:
I feel that since regular characters can only see and interpret my character through my actions that all my efforts should go towards fleshing them out through that medium. I don't codedly -think- because in my head I've got a good idea already of how my character sees a situation.

I think you've voiced really well my frustration with the commands. Right now I'm trying a tack in which, when faced with a situation IG and it occurs to me that my character might think something she wouldn't say out loud, I use the command. I feel like it sort of bridges the gap between "thinking is awkward" and "I should use ALL THE THINKS".

Page 2 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic