Register a new account  
Think/Feel
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:57 pm      Reply with quote

Blue wrote:
Bad decisions are my favorite kind, and sometimes they are made because a character is pointedly *not* thinking about what they are doing.

But it's so much fun to come up with the silly (and telling) rationalizations that allow a character to avoid the obvious issues.

A short, red-hooded person thinks, "Surely this strange man who popped out of the woods and offered to show me a short-cut to Grandma's house has my best interests at heart. After all, he's clearly of caucasian descent and his manner of speech implies he comes from a good family!"

Blue wrote:
Using feel would probably help in those situations, and make the reasons for my character’s behavior a little less opaque.

You know, or that. Cool

I would prefer not to.
slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:42 pm      Reply with quote

I have a HUGE problem when it comes to thinks, mostly because I don't think in words. I think in pictures and I can't seem to convey things properly using the think or feel commands.

Also as a character who's divided themselves internal into distinct mental personas thinks become quite awkward to use think in still be coherent. I'm way, way open to suggestion on how to adequaetely prtray these things without the staff thinking I'm thinking jibberish.

hobos
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:17 pm      Reply with quote

I tend to use think for "word-thinking" and feel for emotions or imagined scenes. That way I can use words that aren't necessarily in my character's vocabulary to describe the emotion or the imagined "picture".

I'm still working on it, though, as a newb of course.

Also I haven't done this, but maybe...

think (as the left side) you have to be rational here, this is dangerous.
think (as the right side) c'mon, this is exciting, just do it!

That could be a legible way to describe a person with multiple personalities, maybe you could name the personalities, etc.

Tyrael
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:53 am      Reply with quote

Watching the smooth-talking dude wander off, all cool-like.
You think: Asshole.

irkallia
Guide

f--- you that's my fish and i'm having sex with it

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:30 am      Reply with quote

Next to pmote (and emote, I suppose), think and feel are my favorite commands. Smile

Most of what I would say has been said (thank you, Bartleby and Blue), but I want to add: there are NO rules about how you should use thinks. I no longer even bother to recognize the "sentence structure" of the echo I get from thinks; I just put in stuff like an internal emote half the time. For example:

You thought: She's alone now, and all the sounds are loud in the darkness. That prickling, uncomfortable awareness of vulnerability creeps in, makes her shiver. Come back, she pleads silently. Please, come back.

This has the unfortunate tendency of making me ignore the use of normal emotes when I'm solo-rp'ing, because I often (accidentally or just out of laziness) put all the actions my PC is doing into the thought, so if there were anyone around they'd just see my PC standing still without going idle for hours on end. Razz Bad habit, that. But anyway - my point is, don't think that you have to use think "in words." I have used it as a narrative voice, as a way to paint mental pictures, as a conscience, as a warring set of inner voices in conflict... the possibilities are many. Try stuff! See if it fits. Different thinking styles fit different characters, I find. It's fun to figute out your character's inner 'voice." Smile

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:00 am      Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I've taken the ideas and found something I was comfortable with.

Page 4 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic