Register a new account  
Throwing
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:25 pm      Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but let's just leave it there.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:13 pm      Reply with quote

It seems to be that the only two problems people have with throwing is that, one, it's spammy and, two, it breaks immersion:

1) Just edit the output text. Something as simple as 'A tall, black scarf-masked man throws a javelin at a large, horned lizard, striking it in the left thigh.' works.

2) There is nothing immersive about mass melee, period. The only thing immersive about pretty much any combat event is the dialogue between people and the situations that come from it. The combat itself is a big mess of people trying to use the code to minimize risk.

---2.1)Firstly, a gun is the most logical choice of any weapon in the entire game. It kills stuff fast, and keeps people out of harms way unless a person is just a REALLY bad shot. But no, because the code has bullets straying off so much as to hit someone standing behind you instead of the target, people don't use it.

---2.2)Secondly, the whole system that groups have come up with of calling when you need an out is one of the most immersion-breaking things I've seen. I get it, I really do, people do not want other people to die, and that's how people would try to go about things in theory. But, how many people realistically stick to the plan when a giant lizard's trying to chomp their head off? It just makes the combat monotonous. (How boring would a movie be if all the hard-trained soldiers with years of experience actually did what they were trained to do?) The only immersion people are getting from mass melee is an illusion; the only 'immersion' coming from the fight is the thought that your character may die then and there, when in reality it's highly unlikely they actually will die, even if they go unconscious.

---2.3) Onto a possible solution for the immersion problem now that I've said my word. I'M BOLDING THIS PART TO MAKE IT STAND OUT FROM THE WALL OF TEXT: DO NOT MAKE THROWN WEAPONS ACT LIKE GUNS ALL THE TIME AND MIGHT HIT SOMEONE. Intead, make thrown weapons do more damage. Then, make the time that people are off-balance afterwards longer. THEN make it so if someone tries to throw something while off-balance, it has a chance of hitting an ally... Makes it a viable way to fight, prevents spamming, and still keeps the risk of hitting someone else intact.

-Editted to correct some general typos and to remove a potentially-offensive remark-

Chrjo12
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:01 pm      Reply with quote

Agreed with Nedinu on everything. Surely it's not that difficult to at least find two \n (or w/e) in the code and delete them, reducing the throw to a two line attack which puts it on par with other attacks.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:44 pm      Reply with quote

Chrjo/Nedinu:
I've seen enough ill-considered, unbalanced changes to the game/code and watched them destabilize the economy(gold-scavenging leading to a gold-and-chip explosion leading to the removal of haggle leading to an explosion of hides/armor in PRPI) entirely without wanting to see such changes tossed into combat, making it even harder to balance.

Honestly, we're close to a decent balance for wildlife in fun vs. bleh: we just need to cut the lagatos down to a quarter and make a butt-ton of beetles running around to make combat fun for everyone and fix the armor situation.

RE: BUT I DID SO MUCH DAMAGE WITH THROWN WEAPONS TO SALLYCOLE AND PCS, well--PCs don't have natural armor. So when you hit them in the eye and crit and do four times as much damage, or when you deal a small or a minor to an unarmored location, realize that's not throwing shit at a lagato with a hugeass amount of con and natural armor. Sally Cole wasn't invincible due to natural armor: he was invincible due being unable to hit in a melee(other than four times, IIRC).

RE: Immersion, that's -your- immersion. Mine's ruined by the idea of handful of people fighting while a dozen stand around and throw javelins into the melee, killing the thing with volleys of chucked spears without ever hitting an ally. "But there's only four javelins in game," you cry--which won't be true if spears become equal to or even CLOSE to equal to how you can damage a PC.

RE: Code, you can always email staff about joining up and coding.

Chrjo12
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:22 pm      Reply with quote

Of all the combat oriented tactics employed on scav trips, that's what breaks your immersion?

Re: caps/cry/ill-considered/code-it-yourself: Can you be any more condescending?

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:30 pm      Reply with quote

Locking this thread.

Throwing at wildlife is pointless and ineffective. If PC leaders discourage it on trips, they do it with Admin blessing.

Page 4 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic