Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:20 pm      Reply with quote

Quote:
Holmes:
Locking this thread.

Throwing at wildlife is pointless and ineffective. If PC leaders discourage it on trips, they do it with Admin blessing.

We still haven't talked about what to do with the throwing skill; you can't just leave a method of fighting nerfed like that. People still talk about the dual-wield and sole-wield differences for pete's sake. Would you close a discussion if blunts barely did any damage and people brought up concerns about it?

Anyways, there either needs to be a solution made to make it a thing you can actually use, or it just needs to be taken out. If throwing is like this, why even have the aim skill? Why have throwing weapons?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:43 pm      Reply with quote

Throwing isn't a skill, Nedinu. Aim is used in guncombat. As to why have throwing weapons...fair point.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:48 pm      Reply with quote

I recognize throwing isn't a skill, but still, it's a way of doing combat, albeit a really bad one at the moment. And why not put the skillcheck for guncombat entirely on the actual skill for it and cut out aim entirely?

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:52 pm      Reply with quote

Totally removing throwing weapons seems a bit unrealistic from a 'things you should be able to do' standpoint. I'd imagine just giving it the same chance to hit someone in melee as guns would work fine, if the damage was bumped a bit or changed so that only throwing weapons could effectively do damage since they're specially balanced to be thrown. Or I guess extremely heavy things. Str should play into it somewhere.

Edit: If you want to play really fast and dirty, simply add to the helpfile something like, "While throwing weapons is possible and may extremely rarely inflict noticeable damage, the natural predators of Luna have evolved skin thick enough to shrug off all but the most grievous, and lucky, injuries from thrown weapons." That assumes that throwing weapons do actually do damage properly to squishy things like rats and unarmored humans. Maybe another use for kevlar, there?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:24 pm      Reply with quote

Nedinu wrote:
I recognize throwing isn't a skill, but still, it's a way of doing combat, albeit a really bad one at the moment. And why not put the skillcheck for guncombat entirely on the actual skill for it and cut out aim entirely?

Because you can't say say "if this was about blunt, would you close the thread?" and be taken seriously when throwing isn't a skill.

And because guncombat has no 'prowess' skill, so having aim means if you become good with guns over time, your skill isn't 100% tied to one kind of gun.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:36 am      Reply with quote

I think maybe I was caught up in the moment yesterday or something, but I can see your point; there's other things that are broken in the game that we just learn to live with, so why not this also? I do have to say (since you brought up game balance in the other thread) if the game balance depends on one of the pieces not to be used, then it is not balanced; you either make the piece fit or get rid of it, in my opinion.

As for throwing not being a skill, it's not important in this context if something is a skill or not; throwing is a way to go about doing combat, but is useless. Now, in a lot of ways, the weapon a character chooses to use is just as much a part of their identity as their personality, like their choice of clothes.

Now, bear with me, what if blunts were taken away? I know blunts is a skill and throwing isn't, but does the difference really matter; you still invest in the aim skill to even do throwing well. Plus, in this scenario, blunts are taken and whatever skill you had in it is transferred to longblades, so you are just as good in combat in before. Nothing's changed, but now some character concepts are never the same again. What if the hammer twins all of sudden had to use swords? The sword twins?
-----------

Sorry, Nedinu, rules are rules and you're not allowed to reveal who you play before 30 days are up. I've removed this section of your post because of that, I don't see any reason why you won't be able to say what you want a month from now. I'll post it in the staff section of the forum so the rest of the team can see it - wilde

--------------------

Anyways, I'm going to drop this for now, but before I do, I propose that the help file be changed to say that throwing is only effective against vermin, and that throwing weapons be removed.

Drifter
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:42 am      Reply with quote

Buff damage to thrown weapons (e.g. javelins, not knives) when used on targets that are in different rooms, and keep damage crappy when used on something in the same room as you.

That way, thrown weapons would fill their (presumably intended) utility as pulling mobs and attacking fleeing targets, but still deter sperging out with "throw weapon baddy" "get weapon" repeatedly.

Is it fixed? Am I cool yet?

Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:54 am      Reply with quote

Drifter wrote:
Buff damage to thrown weapons (e.g. javelins, not knives) when used on targets that are in different rooms, and keep damage crappy when used on something in the same room as you.

That way, thrown weapons would fill their (presumably intended) utility as pulling mobs and attacking fleeing targets, but still deter sperging out with "throw weapon baddy" "get weapon" repeatedly.

Dunno. Then you'd have a whole scav group running off to retrieve one or two javelins, which is almost just as annoying as waiting for a handful of people to shoot at a gato (which some may see as the more efficient method of handling it, anyways) to varying degrees of success.

As for the damage buff...I'm never one for buffing damage, and I find it understandable that throwing weapons against something with super-thick skin would do negligible damage.

And then they kissed. They kissed like like lovers, like friends, like rivals, like enemies. They kissed... like soul mates.
Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:20 pm      Reply with quote

Nedinu, your argument is not comparable to bludgeon, long-blade, or even polearm (which a lot of people do say is underpowered).

It's comparable to someone complaining that they made a brawler and he can't punch lagatos to death, so can we please buff brawling.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:42 pm      Reply with quote

Holmes wrote:
Nedinu, your argument is not comparable to bludgeon, long-blade, or even polearm (which a lot of people do say is underpowered).

It's comparable to someone complaining that they made a brawler and he can't punch lagatos to death, so can we please buff brawling.

If that. Brawling's a skill you could take as a newbie--there's no throwing skill for a newer player to take and then feel gimped about.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Page 1 of 3   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic