Home

Register a new account  
RE: Throwing
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:53 pm      Reply with quote

Said I'd drop it. Still want to, but dang, it's hard to stay quiet after that. And yes, it is comparable to bludgeon, long-blade, and polearm; why wouldn't it be? What it is not comparable to, is brawling. The reason we can't punch a lagato to death is because it ridiculous. We're not talking about someone using their fists, we're talking about someone using a big spear that's been used throughout history to kill horses and mammoths.

Lost
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:57 pm      Reply with quote

I agree with Nedinu actually.

It'd be comparable to guns or other weapons not being usable against wildlife - why wouldn't they be?

Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:30 pm      Reply with quote

I had a weird thought this morning. In a dream world, combat spam would take every ten seconds or so between a character and their target and average it out to give a sentence like:

A lightly-built Ruster poorly fights with a horned lizard, seeming outmatched.
A well-armored black-scarf-masked person efficiently fights with a little lizard, devastating their defenses.

The 'poorly fights' or 'efficiently fights' would be a measure of how many hits out of the five seconds or whatever they successfully land. The 'seeming outmatched' or 'devastating their defenses' would be a measure of how much damage output either party is doing. Could program it like two sliders, X, Y, having the opponents damage output on X and one's own on Y. The message would shift depending which quadrant it was on, ie: one having an advantage, one being at a disadvantage, both being ineffective, both tearing each other apart. There could be thresholds when the rating passes a certain number from 0,0, making them 'extremely inefficient' or 'extremely outmatched' when the rating veers towards the higher limit.

So you'd get these occasional summaries of other fighting parties, while still getting your own personal spam if you're fighting. If someone threw a bunch of knives, you could summarize that as:

Throwing a sharp knife with a padded rag hilt, lightly-built Ruster strikes a horned lizard thrice, barely grazing it.

Variables: number of times during timeframe (10 seconds?), how much (or little) it did averaging the damage on the landed strikes.

Stuff like critical hits could still be shown to the room, making them actually cinematic rather than lost.

... I don't expect any of that to go anywhere, or anyone to have to program it! Just dreaming up anti-combat spammage. Also, it would be a togglable SET so that people could do 'set melee' or normal or this summarizing system.

ETA: The summary updates could modify the ldesc of the characters, like a pmote, replacing the 'is fighting X!'. Because people would reasonably be able to see how a fight's going from another room, or whatever.

EEETA: Is it the spam that makes this something that isn't viable? That's why I thought this up. If it's for making sense, does it make sense that only four people can fight a giant lizard at once? Or a tiny one for that matter? We can't really use standards of 'this makes logical sense' when the basic combat system isn't based on logic.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:32 pm      Reply with quote

I suggest you propose that to the futuremud guys. Would be a nifty feature.

Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:35 pm      Reply with quote

I will! I didn't realize they were still running. Awesome.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:34 pm      Reply with quote

Not quite throwing and not quite shooting, but do slingshots do much damage at all? Are they worse than throwing knives?

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:35 pm      Reply with quote

Slingshots do nada ATM.

Staff need to discuss this topside, clearly.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:47 pm      Reply with quote

As a semi-random aside, while I have no idea if it will horrifically break the game, I did actually find where in the code the throwing line is and maybe it could be made less annoying.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:15 pm      Reply with quote

Nada? Sad
At least help with training aim?

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:23 pm      Reply with quote

slyviolin wrote:
Nada? Sad
At least help with training aim?

Yeah, they raise aim. And do weird things to armor.

Page 2 of 3   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic