Home

Register a new account  
Trauma
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:45 pm      Reply with quote

This is the thing in the prompt represented by ^^^^^^, for anybody unaware.

It represents your character's mental fortitude, and how well they can keep on going despite stress endured or injuries received. If it drops to zero, they collapse to the ground, much as we see many animals do, but rarely ever PCs, outside of brawls.

It strikes me that trauma is much too forgiving to PCs. I think it's in a good place where gunfire is concerned. Melee, however, is a different matter. I've never seen a PC collapse in a melee, outside of a brawl, except for Audrin on the day that she died, and she was overwhelmed with nobody to rescue her. Nobody else, that I can recall, though my memory may be fuzzy.

Unfortunately, if it's even really a problem, it's not one where any particularly obvious solutions present themselves. I guessed I'd comment for commenting's sake, and to see what people's thoughts are.

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:06 pm      Reply with quote

Can't remember exactly what my willpower was with Hiver, but it was low, probably poor, but I definitely remember her dropping in melee and more than once.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:10 pm      Reply with quote

Toz had Wil[poor] and he died because he got trauma'd out at low 3 stars - you don't see trauma as much because most mobs aren't doing blunt damage, I think. I know bludgeons/brawling do more trauma damage, whereas swords get their boost/glory in bleeding. I think it's fine where it is, too - even with poor wil, these are people who (presumably) have had a fairly rough life - the mental image of someone who drops because they got a few ouchies and are thus unable to continue fighting for their lives seems kind of off.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:17 pm      Reply with quote

Aken: PCs drop before unconsciousness kicks in about 50% of the time, from my experience. It's just usually once they drop, then they proceed to go uncon from the next hit. Or die.

I think it's fine where it's at, personally.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:34 pm      Reply with quote

my current PC has average willpower, and I've seen him drop to 3 ^'s a couple times due to barker and spider swarms piling on him (not to mention brawling, but we covered that), and I think that's appropriate. I mean, a sword slash to the arm, even a bad one, isn't going to make you drop, whereas a GIANT F-ING HAMMER to the gut, powered by, say a Titan on a bender, likely will, so I would say that I think it's pretty good where it is.

Edit: Well, the sword slash won't make THESE people, who are used to getting shanked every so often, drop.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:36 pm      Reply with quote

Trauma isn't supposed to be a significant factor for melee combat, but if you have a high enough con and a low enough willpower, you'll definitely run into it.

Trauma's meant to represent your character taking a beating and no longer being able to stand, given how quickly real fights tend to end, this point is almost never reached, because you're either dead or unconscious by the time trauma would matter. This is the system working as intended.

padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:42 pm      Reply with quote

yeah, getting run through with a blade to the stomach or eye tends to end the fight in a rather final fashion.

kog
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:47 pm      Reply with quote

Tell that to Tryndamere..

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:03 pm      Reply with quote

kog wrote:
Tell that to Tryndamere..

He prefers to die to being set on fire several seconds later.

Page 1 of 1   Θ  
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic