Register a new account  
Short Questions
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
starsignal
Registered

just a page in someone's book

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:41 pm      Reply with quote

A thread for quick questions that don't require their own separate threads.

starsignal
Registered

just a page in someone's book

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:41 pm      Reply with quote

Why does formulating dye require a design stencil?

Darkblade
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:59 pm      Reply with quote

starsignal wrote:
Why does formulating dye require a design stencil?
Think I can answer this one. In the craft, you use the stencil to test the dye likely for color/consistency, opposed to simply throwing a splotch on whatever is present.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:09 am      Reply with quote

SHINE evidently doesn't work for flashlights.

Will it ever?

Does it work for head lamps?

I would prefer not to.
Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:11 am      Reply with quote

Bartleby wrote:
SHINE evidently doesn't work for flashlights.

Will it ever?

Does it work for head lamps?

It /did/ work for head lamps, when I had one. Not sure about now.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:55 am      Reply with quote

Shine was removed 'cause it let you see through doors and was silly or something.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:03 am      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Shine was removed 'cause it let you see through doors and was silly or something.

It's less a question of "Can we please see through doors again?" and more a question of "Is there maybe another way to do this without letting us see through doors?"

Mainly because I think one way of combating glowstick litter would be to be able to see if the next room was safe to walk into without having to throw one, and realistically a flashlight would allow you to do this. As it is, you have to give up a hand to be able to only see the room you're standing in. It sort of makes flashlights hardly worth the bother, considering the prevalence of glowsticks. And head lamps have a similar problem, since you have to give up head armor to wear them. If they're just a glowstick that lasts longer, they're hardly worth giving up a worn or held spot, imo.

ETA: And for what it's worth, I personally just find the idea of shining a flashlight down a hallway about a thousand times more immersive than chucking a glowstick every 25 feet. Particularly given that there are flashlights.

And perhaps you can light a flashlight and hang it on your belt and see the room, thus meaning you don't need to give up a hand, but on the immersion scale that rates pretty dismally as well. A flashlight facing the ground is realistically not very helpful.

I tend to just not use the glowsticks when exploring because I just find the idea so unimmersive. And if flashlights are just glowsticks that work on batteries, I don't really see why they exist. Except that it wouldn't make sense if they didn't, because flashlights are useful RL objects that aren't more complicated than computers.

I would prefer not to.
Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:03 am      Reply with quote

Ooh, my turn. What does the 'perform experimental-research' biology craft /do/? It doesn't have any produced object listed. Is it another holdover from Attonement?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:19 am      Reply with quote

Bartleby:
Yes to everything, but you -can- wear a flashlight on your hip. It still works, too.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Kristina
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:43 am      Reply with quote

Hyriana wrote:
Ooh, my turn. What does the 'perform experimental-research' biology craft /do/? It doesn't have any produced object listed. Is it another holdover from Attonement?

Ups your skill! That's about it. No idea if it's a holdover (though back on the ship, it didn't do anything either, you were just cutting into stuff), but it's nice for those of us with little to no other useful biology crafts available to up the skill.

Page 1 of 9   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic