Home

Register a new account  
What decides which clan you apply into?
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:00 pm      Reply with quote

There's quite an imbalance in clan sizes, both in terms of 'raw' numbers, and people that are seen in-game that I suppose we could term 'doers'. I can't put a finger on why. It just is. Given that a majority of characters enter clans via chargen rather than by being recruited in-game, there is, presumably, a deliberate decision on the part of the player.

While I thought it may have equalized somewhat as the game progressed, we're now two months in, and a similar situation to that which existed at the game's opening apparently persists: one clan doesn't appear to appeal to many would-be 'doers' at all, while another, in terms of raw numbers, tends to cap out at two thirds the size of the other two.

So, I'm curious, what prompts people to app into one clan over another? Is it solely based on the character concept, with no particular bias either way? Or are you looking to get something out of a clan, and do certain clans seem to offer these things more than others?

No IC details or remarks regarding characters recruited in-game, please. I'm solely curious about players' thoughts when they're picking a clan in chargen.

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:08 pm      Reply with quote

Just putting my two cents into the thread, but if we're not counting launch, I currently app into families based on the characters within them. Sad, but true. The rest of it is solely theme. The Red Company doesn't interest me in any way OOCly, why make a character based around them? That's how I see it. Maybe I don't get the OP's post, doe. Doesn't seem that complicated.

Silver
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:16 pm      Reply with quote

Attracting PCs to become 'doers' in a clan requires a clanlead that appreciates having 'doers', especially if he/she is one himself, leading by example and all.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:30 pm      Reply with quote

Not really sure what's meant by 'doer', or why they're particularly important/desirable/worth mentioning here. Is this a Stuff thing? Cool

Whatever it means, I can't help feeling like it's pretty evident canonically that each Family has its own area of emphasis. You've been so vague that I have no idea whether the clan you think has so many 'doer's (whatever they are) is the one that makes the most canonical 'doing' sense, or vice versa, though. Erm?

As for the question -- theme matters a lot to me, for more or less the reasons Zerrero said. If a Family theme doesn't interest me, I'm unlikely to app into it, unless I have an idea for a character concept that would allow for not fitting in with everyone else or the environment to still be fun (which can happen).

But playstyles of the players who predominate in a clan almost matter more, to be honest. If a clan appears to be hugely dominated by a completely different type of activity than what I enjoy, if my style of play doesn't seem to be welcomed/valued, etc, I'm probably not going to app into that clan. I tend to gravitate toward a place where it appears that I could have fun doing what I like to do.

ETA:

For myself, personally, I like to RP. I don't care all that much about skills, or crafting, or scavving, or leet gear. If a clan seems very skills/crafting/scavving/leet gear oriented OOCly, I'm unlikely to app into it.

And I like to explore certain aspects of the universe, certain niches of the gameworld, so if a clan is thematically bound to emphasize other things, I'm unlikely to app into it.

Somehow I feel like answers as vague as the question probably aren't going to be that useful, though. I am as loath as you are to risk triggering any of the million shades of flame war that might ensue from anything too specific, but at the same time, I can't help wondering what can really be said under the circumstances.

I would prefer not to.
Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:40 pm      Reply with quote

'Doers' could be any number of things, in my opinion. It could mean someone who's out and about constantly, or someone who leads others in activities, or someone who just stirs things up every once and a while through their actions.

As for clans and such, I'm as likely to app into one clan as any other, depending on whatever idea suddenly pops into my head. If need be, I could alter a char-idea to place them anywhere, tweaking them so they'd stay the same, just be a what-if born elsewhere or joined elsewhere kind of thing. And I have little to no contact with anyone OOCly, so I'll pretty much rp with whoever shows interest

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:41 pm      Reply with quote

I haven't been playing the game for the past couple weeks, so I'm not sure which clans have more than others. I guess it depends on the clans' images.

Just because of the sheer number of movies that have it so, I think the Reds are the biggest attraction for new players because they would be seen as the "good guys" just because they oppose a government. And even then, they can be seen as a military force that's coming in to establish order and rescue people from gangs.

The New Guard on the other hand, I believe, are seen more as the mafia group. So, they'd appeal to new players aiming to be somewhat evil or at most neutral. Some movies show mafias in a post-apocalyptic setting as helpful as long as you don't double-cross them, but even more movies show them as loansharks that'll hunt you down and out your cybernetic eye if you miss one payment.

The Niners are bunch of biker gang-esque punks on paper, and we know how those people are in most movies. Evil doesn't appear as much as good to the majority of people, in my opinion. Chaotic evil, even less so. Don't get me wrong, anything chaotic evil does appeal to A LOT of new people, but most of those same type of people probably wouldn't make it past application either. I think it's more for experienced players that join it solely for the rare character concept that calls for it.

Aken
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:47 pm      Reply with quote

Starmonger wrote:
'Doers' could be any number of things, in my opinion. It could mean someone who's out and about constantly, or someone who leads others in activities, or someone who just stirs things up every once and a while through their actions.

Pretty much what I meant.

Seer
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:06 pm      Reply with quote

Bartleby wrote:
But playstyles of the players who predominate in a clan almost matter more, to be honest. If a clan appears to be hugely dominated by a completely different type of activity than what I enjoy, if my style of play doesn't seem to be welcomed/valued, etc, I'm probably not going to app into that clan. I tend to gravitate toward a place where it appears that I could have fun doing what I like to do.

This. As much as I'd like to make a concept based entirely on fitting into thematic elements I'm attracted to in each family, I would never let that be the defining point of where I go. It's so much more linked to leaderstyles, playgroups, apparent goals and how they're enacted IG... just because of the pure admin supported permanence of being in a family, I wouldn't want to make a character only to find I just couldn't find an avenue/people to buy in where I put them.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:09 pm      Reply with quote

Aken wrote:
Starmonger wrote:

Pretty much what I meant.

Ahh, well, in that case, I think it's pretty complicated, and rather hard to judge, and always kind of in flux.

At different times over the course of the game so far, I've seen different characters, and different numbers of characters, from different clans out and about more often than others, stirring up trouble more often than others, and so on. I also have a feeling that all it takes is a couple of apps here and there, a couple of PC deaths, and it will shift again.

There's also a bit of a split among what sorts of doing are more encouraged by the canon in different Families, as well as IC circumstances (and OOC ones) that may at various times put a bit of a damper on leading activities and stirring up trouble. It still seems very early on in the game to be judging this, to me.

Things may variously be lacking in various areas, in various clans, according to whomever is concerned about one thing or another. I'm not really sure, though, that these constitute objective Issues with how the game is progressing. That said, if they are of concern to someone, then it would be ideal that the concerns be addressed -- only it's a bit hard to address specific concerns without more specifics than are probably a good idea here.

I would prefer not to.
Casper
Registered

Moon Ghost

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:50 pm      Reply with quote

Yes, the theme of the family plays a great role in whether or not I choose it, and yes, the activity level and impressiveness of the players who fill the ranks influences me.

However, I also like to seek challenges. I may write a character who is out of place in a Family, and put them there to see what happens, how people interact, and what my character gets to do. If I know a Family does a lot of one activity, I'll make a character that does a completely set of tasks entirely. One, it'll make me more useful if I fill a niche that has been ignored, but two, it makes the healthy transition in the clan to more diverse activities, which then attracts more players.

If a Family just loves to scavenge all day long, everyday, maybe I'll make a quartermaster, or a chef, or a repair man, and maybe that character is terrified to go outside. I could host and perform other activities that those who feel peer-pressured to go outside can opt into.

In the same breath, however, I'm less interested in the Family's character make-up, and more interested in the Family's opportunities, resources, and lore. Characters come and go. Long-standing background stories, expensive machinery, and specialized products stick around.

Page 1 of 4   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic