Home

Register a new account  
What decides which clan you apply into?
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
hobos
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:39 pm      Reply with quote

It depends on the character concept i have. Since usually I like to play characters with higher purposes, it's normally the Red Company that appeals to me the most on an OOC level.

However, I've thought up characters that would be in other Families, too. It depends on the background and goal of the individual character. A character can have a long-standing purpose to do something that doesn't involve cracking Hyperion... that's just the simplest possibility to notice in the provided environment.

Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:18 pm      Reply with quote

Who I want to avoid and who I don't want to be associated with.

Angrboda
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:43 pm      Reply with quote

Because the one under-represented clan has yet to get a leader. It's as simple as that. I'm not naysaying any of their current or past clanleads, or saying anything bad about them. Hell, I'm not even specifically talking -about- the clanleads. It could be anyone who's willing to shoulder the burden of being active, being neutral, and spending WAY too much of their time ensuring that people outside of their clan know that they're active.

And yes, I mean that 'being neutral' thing. Leaders have to get along. Leaders have to be the center of calm that keeps the whole clan on track. They have to be effectively neutral, to a degree. Why? Cause if they aren't, the whole clan is constantly in conflict, and that's exhausting for players. And they leave.

Shit-stirrers make good RP, but they can't be leading. They have to have an active public face, they have to have people that get out there and RP and intrigue and engage with people in other clans. Otherwise, when you die, why the heck would you want to roll into their clan?

The only other way I've found for a clan to get re-hauled is when four or five people all roll in together and make those leadership roles by supporting one another, effectively cutting out that conflict and bringing with them that calm that's needed.

Administrators are necessary as well, the people that keep the clan running from within, who usually -don't- go out in public much, and make a public face...but they don't bring in new blood. They maintain blood that's already there. But you need both, and honestly...when someone tries to do both parts, they either fail miserably, or burn out and go insane.

Edit:
(I totally just realised I didn't answer the question)

I roll into a clan I haven't been in lately. That's how I decide, I don't like to rehash. But if there's obvious conflict, I will avoid going into the clan, hence that long-winded rant up there.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:56 pm      Reply with quote

I usually pick the one I think I can take over.

Casper
Registered

Moon Ghost

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:08 pm      Reply with quote

Angrboda wrote:
Administrators are necessary as well, the people that keep the clan running from within, who usually -don't- go out in public much, and make a public face...but they don't bring in new blood. They maintain blood that's already there. But you need both, and honestly...when someone tries to do both parts, they either fail miserably, or burn out and go insane.
I completely agree with this, from my experience with RPIs in general. You need the stable figurehead, who is dependable, solid, and has leadership skills. You need the shit-stirrers to keep things interesting. But you really need the administrators, the silent keepers that make sure the entire thing works and operates. They organize, delegate tasks, and keep the clan moving up. Seeing these roles in a clan is appealing to me because I know the clan is more like to be stable and be able to foster fun.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:17 pm      Reply with quote

Zerero wrote:
Just putting my two cents into the thread, but if we're not counting launch, I currently app into families based on the characters within them. Sad, but true. The rest of it is solely theme. The Red Company doesn't interest me in any way OOCly, why make a character based around them? That's how I see it. Maybe I don't get the OP's post, doe. Doesn't seem that complicated.

This is basically how I make the decision, save that I view the lore as window dressing and even if it doesn't appeal to me I may be willing to come up with something just to get the chance to play with its members.

Other things I usually take into consideration are: How do the people in that clan play? What were my past experiences in or with that clan like? And how large is the clan? I won't be apping into the largest clan any time soon. I don't like to be just another cog in the machine.

bananahammock
Registered

sexy mothaf***a

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:13 am      Reply with quote

When a game is brand-new: based on the theme of the clan.

When I've been playing: based on the focus of the clan, its leaders, and how many interesting people seem to be in it. If a clan does nothing but scav all day erry day, I am not interested. If all the people I've met from a certain clan are boring, not interested. I'm here for RP. You know, that thing in the name of this MUD.

cruelcore
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:31 am      Reply with quote

I'd like to think I play based on whichever theme strikes me as being a good-fit (or bad, if I'm trying to make a black sheep) for my character as I'm writing up an application.

I really do try to not judge what other people do as being good or bad - but if there's something I feel could be improved on, I'll try to change it IGLY and welcome any conflict that brings with open arms.

Tracer
Registered

Heir of the Sword of Damocles

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:43 am      Reply with quote

I rolled a 4 sided dice. Three families or indy.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:01 am      Reply with quote

It's pretty much just dependant on what ever concept I have going and if I haven't been in a particular one for a while. Don't think I've ever apped into the same clan twice in a row except for about two times when I first started on Atonement.

I also sometimes go indie but try to get into a certain family anyways so I don't have to worry why my guy being noticed all of a sudden, or deal with making my self known to a clan that I'm apparently supposed to have been in for years and is trusted.

Page 2 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic