Regarding group activities, from pof James
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Bangbang
Registered

Sockpuppet

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:22 am      Reply with quote

On behalf of pof James (Morrow):

There are a lot of player-characters made with combat and scavenging in mind. A majority of the characters in-game, I'd wager, considering that any given run I see go out, excluding metro runs, tends to have between two-thirds and three-quarters of the online PCs in tow, and metro runs are popular at all hours.

You all show up to this stuff. Then you go into automaton mode. It would be fine, really, if it was just one or two people having an off-day, or whatever; everyone does that, me included. But I'm talking a majority of people, here. If you're doing anything but 'forage' and 'hit lagato', it's sometimes hard to see. It leaves the same few PCs chatting about the same old stuff, all the time, and a vicious circle of sorts ensues, I suppose.

I know scavenging runs are boring as hell. And I try my damnedest to mix them up a bit, or add in extra things to do. But, please, guys, at least try to show a spark of life? Some interest in what's going on? It came to a point earlier where it got so bad that my character even brought it up IC as everyone being lifeless. On an OOC level, that event, such as it was, was amongst others, just some attempt on my part to mix things up somewhat and try to offer something more than 'scav the metro' or 'scav the factories' (undoubtedly the two most time-efficient endeavours one can undertake where getting stuff is concerned). But I just get the impression that nobody particularly cares.

What do you want, guys? I'm grasping at straws here, and nothing I can come up with for big groups to do seems to be particularly enjoyable to anyone. I'm at a loss. I'm frustrated. I'm quite honestly past the point of bothering to go do anything but scav the factories, because why? Certainly not for any gain of 'stuff', and where entertainment factor is involved? I don't think anyone cares.

I'm a shameless sockpuppet. Mudmail Bangbang anonymously, and I can post something for you. I reserve the right not to if it's dickish.
Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:47 am      Reply with quote

One of my biggest problems with scav runs is the spam of messages and sheer number of people makes it hard for me to keep up if I'm trying to RP with someone. I don't know if that's the same problem everyone else has, though. The other one is that when I'm with 10-20 odd people, my character doesn't really want to start talking about anything important and character developy that would drive more RP. So that leaves the same old jokes, mostly.

WorkerDrone
Registered

Duke Attitude

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:55 am      Reply with quote

The IC/OOC sentiments are weird and mixed up, because we're all obviously personally frustrated with the lack of direction the game has. It is literally one big sand box, disrupted by an admin deciding--like, not arbitrarily--

Like--we all do nothing but the same shit, have the same banter, get upset because of the same things, and I get the feeling that the lines between being frustrated ICly and OOCly are blurred all the time, to the point where someone would rather shut down than give some effort to something that's completely unrewarding like the 100th Metro run or 1000th factory run.

It's boring as shit. That isn't our fault, it isn't the admin team's fault, no way!

But things only liven up when direction is given to the player base, and admittedly, in recent history of the RPI scene, it's draining to direct a playerbase. Admins do it and then they run out of shit for you to do, so they let you run around for months on end to give themselves time to prepare, or time to relax from a near burnout. Doing, big surprise, the same shit you've been doing for a while.

Now--some of this can be solved by player initiative, having some imagination--and a big thing.

LESS "STUFF" FOCUS.

The only problem with that, I guess, is there's so much less THINGS to do in a "Survival" genre, except thatit's plainly true there's nothing else to do except hunt, grow, forage and craft, and sometimes roleplay.

Except what basis do you go from to make roleplay interesting?

Conflict, would be a quick answer, but I'm just gonna come out and say it, no one wants to take a shot at eachother and it's utterly boring not having an outside threat to unite against.

Someone has to be the badguy, or both people need to be the bad guy, or no one's going to give a shit because there's no meaning behind gathering 100 bars of plastic used to build 10 robots to HAUL IN MORE SCRAP AND SALVAGE.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:06 am      Reply with quote

Hyriana wrote:
So that leaves the same old jokes, mostly.

I'm pretty sanguine about our chances on Mars.

Rome
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:09 am      Reply with quote

I was having an off day. ICly.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:22 am      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Hyriana wrote:
So that leaves the same old jokes, mostly.

I'm pretty sanguine about our chances on Mars.

Sounds like some people are getting livid about our chances on the moon.

Throttle
Administrator

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:27 am      Reply with quote

A big part of it is the sheer size of these groups. As mentioned, it's often 20+ people in a huge blob just rolling over the landscape and the spam is so bad people simply can't roleplay to any appreciable extent.

That's largely a consequence of the fact that the entire population of Rust has decided to be allies and hastily stamp out any sign of conflict or unrest. Things weren't this way back in ARPI's heyday, clans didn't usually go out together as a unit and peacefully share things.

This in turn is a byproduct of the fact that there's no disadvantage at all to just bringing every swinging dick you can dredge up, and we're employing a solution to that in the foreseeable future. I won't spoil the surprise, but there are some significant changes on the horizon.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:29 am      Reply with quote

I was new. But as a general rule:

I feel less interested in actually RPing the more people there are, in excess of five to ten. Things get too spammy. It's hard to keep track of the conversations. Etc.

If you want everybody to be fairly active and into it, I would suggest splitting into smaller groups, if that's even efficient. Otherwise... I dunno.

irkallia
Guide

f--- you that's my fish and i'm having sex with it

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:29 am      Reply with quote

WorkerDrone wrote:
Now--some of this can be solved by player initiative, having some imagination--and a big thing.

LESS "STUFF" FOCUS.

... there's no meaning behind gathering 100 bars of plastic used to build 10 robots to HAUL IN MORE SCRAP AND SALVAGE.

I'm selectively quoting here (and I apologize to WD if I'm distorting his full meaning too much), but I think this is the heart of it. As Bartleby said similarly somewhere, it gets to a point where it's like: Why do we need to scavenge? To get mats to craft. Why do we need to craft? To make stuff to go scavenging with. It's this circular, stuff-centered mindset that I think a lot of players get caught up with-- and justifiably so, because that seems to be the focus of the code (of which there is a lot).

I don't necessarily agree with WD that pure conflict is the primary answer here; personally, I'm very hopeful for the results of the scav overhaul, because the scav system as it is, well... where do I start? It's dangerous to go out. It's difficult to lead effectively, and people are risk-averse. This leads to an insane concentration of power and authority and responsibility in the few individuals who are trusted by the playerbase to lead runs, because anyone else might make a mistake in leading, and that mistake might easily be fatal to some or all of the group. This isn't a knock against those individuals at all, but I'd love to see the ability for there to be more than one group going out at once, without the very real fear of dying if there are less than 20 people in the group.

This will (in my rosy-colored dreams) vastly cut down on the spam, increase the potential for meaningful RP on runs, and allow other players a chance to get out there and do something, rather than waiting on a very small pool of leader PCs to rouse them. By turn, that will hopefully decrease the immense pressure on those few leader PCs to constantly entertain and protect and organize and keep track of all of their clan members. (Ever been a clanlead? It ain't all rainbows and butterflies.)

In the meantime, if spam is a huge problem, investigate ways to gag output through your client, and/or to redirect it to another window. I know with my client (cmud) I can do this very easily for foraging messages. Personally, I don't bother, because spam isn't something that worries me. But if it is for you, there are ways to cut it down some.

Other than that, well, I can only suggest y'all either quit being lazy (because that's what it is, let's be honest) and be proactive (my usual strategy is to pick someone in the group, perhaps at random, and pester them until they RP with me), or just don't go on those 6-hour runs. Seriously. I rarely go on the big massive 20-man 6-hour runs because I get tired and I can't keep up the RP for that long.

If you feel like you -have- to go on every single run, or else your clan members will shun you for not being hardworking enough? Then that's a problem with your clan culture, and I'd suggest mudmailing your clanlead to see if there's a way to work with them to try and alleviate the problem. This should not be the case, because this is first and foremost a game, and secondly it's a roleplaying game, not a scavenge-for-the-entire-time-you're-online-and-hate-it game. Your character can virtually go scavenging when they're a vNPC while you're offline sometimes, and should not be written off as lazy or not worthwhile as a clan member for not going on every single run.

... Anyway, that's me done being long-winded. tl;dr: play this game for the people, not for the stuff, please.

09:08:36 ‹Holmes› FUCKdgkljald
09:08:38 ‹Holmes› Irkallia
09:08:39 ‹Holmes› YOU GOD AMLDJALgkasdf
09:08:41 ‹Holmes› I WILL KILL YOU
09:08:43 ‹Holmes› WITH MY FACE
09:08:47 * Holmes quit
Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:30 am      Reply with quote

Throttle wrote:
This in turn is a byproduct of the fact that there's no disadvantage at all to just bringing every swinging dick you can dredge up, and we're employing a solution to that in the foreseeable future. I won't spoil the surprise, but there are some significant changes on the horizon.

The question is, is it a monster turtle or a sand worm?

Page 1 of 13   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic