Home

Register a new account  
The Conflict Thread
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:24 pm      Reply with quote

People seem to have revived this conversation topic in the Graveyard thread. Let's move it here, and be civil, and try not to get things locked?

Here are my problems with 'bandit PCs' for starting conflict RP:

1) They don't actually instigate much true RP. They instigate five minutes of combat during their mugging and then maybe five minutes when they get brought down (or alternatively just retire because they're tired of dodging the consequences of their actions).

2) These are tantamount to throwaway PCs. The proper response for any family to take against somebody who takes violent action against its members is to kill them (at least/especially, when one of their members has been killed). Knowing this, why would you make a character with the INTENTION FOR THEM to do something, basically, suicidal?

3) Given that they're performing an action that's likely to end in one way and one way only, why in the hell would they ICly be motivated to do this? Desperate starving people prey on people weak enough to take advantage of. They don't prey on people who are liable to put them down, or who are liable to have friends that will put them down when it's over. You know, like families. We're talking about the three most powerful entities in Rust. Do starving thieves steal from organized crime? Mug police officers? It literally makes ZERO sense.

For all the above reasons, I find the concept jarring and more often than not horrendously poorly played.

If you want to play a bandit/mugger pick on Indies and other bandits and muggers. Don't make conflict for conflict's sake. Because it'll make you look silly. Make conflict for good reason. Think it out. Go about it in a clever way that ISN'T suicide. Be creative. Don't be a turd and don't be code-happy with it.

I think a fair part of the problem with conflict as-is is that a) people aren't putting effort into making it in a RP-conducive manner, b) every time people discuss the matter, we forget what we're talking about, because there's a small subset within the discussion that doesn't actually care about conflict or RP, and are really just looking for PK.

Basically, my problem with 'bandit PCs' is the same as my problem with 'psychotic PCs'. People just use it as an excuse to lolpk and fail miserably at the RP portion. They fail miserably at the character motivations portion. They just kind of generally fail. At least, in my experience. I've seen some people manage to do it well, but that's far and above the exception, moreso than the rule.

If you're too lazy to come up with a better reason to engage in PK than "I ICly need stuff because I'm poor" or "I'm just totally crazy lol" then I probably don't want to have my time wasted and immersion broken trying to RP with somebody who thinks that it would make sense for muggers to attack armed and armored people that are members of powerful organizations that make a habit of lynching people that do just that.

Edit: Now, as far as independent PCs developing hostile relationships with families and acting on a vendetta towards them? That would work differently ICly and would probably be much more fitting with the game. OOCly, however, they'd probably be borderline crippling, with how scarce the pbase in some families has gotten. Gang issues work slightly differently as well. This is mostly in regards to strictly lone mugger types.

Terminobber
RPA

Elfin Slavemaster and Santa double

Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:28 pm      Reply with quote

Thank you crayon, and good post as well

Yoink
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:52 am      Reply with quote

Yer, thanks Crayon- I haven't been around much lately, so I didn't see the whole argument in my thread until it had already wound down.

Don't really have much input on the topic myself, though, not having played in a long while. Pretty sure one of my favourite PCs back then was one of these "bandit" fellows, though.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:50 pm      Reply with quote

Yeah. I'm not trying to say it's unilaterally bad or anything, it's just usually, well, pretty bad, in my experience.

It's one of those character concepts that really has to be done more carefully than you would think at a glance, just because of the sort of interaction it has with the game. And, well, the whole throwaway part. 'Getting food/stuff to survive/enrich yourself' is not, in my opinion (and that's all it is), a motivation that somebody sane is going to have for performing a violent action that will almost certainly end in death, especially given that there are other ways to come by things like food than, you know, jacking it from somebody else.

Page 7 of 7   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic