Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Bangbang
Registered

Sockpuppet

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:03 pm      Reply with quote

Or: I Have No Real Clue What I Should Capitalize In Titles

A plea posted on behalf of a nonspecific clanlead:

Let me preface this by saying I'm not complaining about anyone, or anything, I'm just trying to head off a few potential historical problems at the pass, especially as RPP are handed out more and more. It's not about IC things, but instead about OOC ones. It's about behavior as a player, before and after you make your brilliant PCs, rather than the wonderful, amazing, dumb, beautiful actions that PC's going to take.

All the clans are different; more different than I think someone having just played in one clan would know. Different enough that, unless you're joining IG, you should mudmail the clanlead with a heads-up/a few questions. I love when people do that, and I think it really helps you prepare for what's going to be an OOC culture shock in some ways.

"You have been a member of [the Family] your whole life, or near enough to make no matter. As a core member of the gang, you have proven your worth and loyalty several times over and can be trusted with difficult or secretive matters. You are likely authorized to lead hunting and scavenging trips or manage one of the Family's businesses, and the newer members might come to you with their problems, requests and suggestions."

This is what you read when you app in to a Corporal position in any Family. Your PC has coded power(access to specific locations/turfquests, like Privates), as well as an IC/OOC responsibility to the clan. Rather than go on from here, I'm just going to pause and ask people: what do you think about when you see a Corporal(or Privates, but mostly Corporal and up) RPP-apping into a clan? What do you(whatever your experience) expect from the lifelong member PCs? What do you expect when apping in as a Corporal(or Private) from already-established PCs within/without the clan?

I'm a shameless sockpuppet. Mudmail Bangbang anonymously, and I can post something for you. I reserve the right not to if it's dickish.
Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:23 pm      Reply with quote

I don't like it, unless all of leadership just died for some reason.

hobos
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:35 pm      Reply with quote

Probably this would be more of an issue in a family like the Red Company? As a relative newbie, for me, this post is very enlightening in terms of what is expected when applying in as a role.

starsignal
Registered

just a page in someone's book

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:07 pm      Reply with quote

Yeah, I find this sort of counterintuitive. Of course it's not difficult to believe that an individual could app into a clan as a lifelong member and trust them to roleplay that well, but trusting someone to hop into a leadership role and be responsible with it just based on RPP seems a little ishy to me.

Then again, maybe these things work themselves out IG without too much detriment?

I'm new, so I don't know things. Very Happy

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:28 pm      Reply with quote

It's a complicated and awkward situation, to be sure.

From the point of view of the clan lead, people apping into Full Member roles could be seen as a very good thing, allowing you to spread the work and responsibility around to another pair of hands. Even if you're unsure about the player's level of skill or commitment (purely because you don't know them), at least you know that the PC's backstory almost certainly provides strong ties of loyalty to the Family. From my personal (and pretty limited so far) experience, I haven't seen anyone app into a Corporal role and then behave inappropriately. Sometimes badly, ICly, but not inappropriately. Cool

Bangbang wrote:
All the clans are different; more different than I think someone having just played in one clan would know.

This is very true and makes it pretty tough to generalize about the impact of the roles, since it's likely to be different for each Family. In the Niners, for instance, simply being a loyal and trusted member doesn't immediately give a PC any sort of balance-disturbing authority, whereas the same might not be true for the Reds, who function according to a ranked hierarchy.

Bangbang wrote:
what do you think about when you see a Corporal(or Privates, but mostly Corporal and up) RPP-apping into a clan? What do you(whatever your experience) expect from the lifelong member PCs? What do you expect when apping in as a Corporal(or Private) from already-established PCs within/without the clan?

I tend to give new Corporals (and to a lesser extent Privates) the benefit of the doubt. If they want to jump in there with their shiny new concept and take initiative, as far as I'm concerned they're doing it right, and may only need to be nudged about IC particulars they may not be aware of. If they want to hang back and avoid taking a lot of responsibility before they've seen the lay of the land, that's fine too. Genuine trust is something that has to be RP'd into, to a certain extent, since a PC's actions will carry more weight than their stated backstory if the two don't seem to match up. But if people ultimately betray the trust their backstory engendered in you, you can always demote them.

It would be great if everyone were really proactive about informing everyone else about their history in the Family and their relationship to it, but it's sort of the same logistical difficulty that has existed from the beginning. They could mudmail the clan lead, and that's certainly welcome, but ultimately the clan lead is only one of numerous PCs who probably should know most of that information. And the new PCs probably should know a significant amount of information about the PCs who are already established in similar roles (whether RP'd into, or bought at chargen).

I think I've sort of changed my stance from when the matter came up months ago on the forums -- more and more lately I've been feeling like it might help a lot (especially in times of high turnover) to have an IC board reserved exclusively for people to elaborate on the should-be-well-known parts of their backstories. Yes, the existing Family boards could be used for that, but in my experience people are pretty brief in their introductory messages, and even if they weren't, those messages get lost in a deluge of mundanities that I wouldn't expect anyone to sit there and sort through. It could also be periodically updated, with new information that would likely be common knowledge about any given PC, based on their development IG.

I would prefer not to.
edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:12 am      Reply with quote

Tepes wrote:
I don't like it, unless all of leadership just died for some reason.

Pretty much this. Basically it's very obvious OOC shoved into the clan ladder and OOC hardly helps anything aside from helping completely new players. Not to mention the fact--and we've had this issue in ARPI--that people might be bringing their OOC grudges along with their new character. Remember that indie you shot in the face ten days ago? Well, he's your new boss. Enjoy!

Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:55 pm      Reply with quote

Honestly, if you let ooc quarrels affect your IC performance, you really shouldn't be receiving positions of leadership like this.

Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:32 pm      Reply with quote

Ironically, that happened to me, Edgeworth. It's shit like that that makes me dislike this.

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:39 pm      Reply with quote

Tepes wrote:
Ironically, that happened to me, Edgeworth. It's shit like that that makes me dislike this.

(two and a half years ago)

Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:42 pm      Reply with quote

Anyways, the point is here: You should be taking a role because it fits your character's background. If your character has been a lifelong member of a family, he should be expected to hold some sway and be doing things that benefit the family.

If you're not willing to do this you should review how your character gained this trusted status in the Family, and whether or not you're only taking this role for the phat boosts.

Page 1 of 4   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic