Home

Register a new account  
On Leadership, and Applying into Clans
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Silver
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:19 pm      Reply with quote

I generally don't read super-long posts. But only when they're circuitous and badly-written. I always read Bartleby's.

Back on topic though:
Quote:
You have proven your worth and loyalty several times over and can be trusted with difficult or secretive matters. You are likely authorized to lead hunting and scavenging trips or manage one of the Family's businesses, and the newer members might come to you with their problems, requests and suggestions.

Or they may be the unlikely ones that can't lead. They might not be trustworthy or likeable for the newer members. No one said the Corporal rank means you should be loveable, leaders or loveable leaders (that's what clanleads are though). What I expect from people that take 2RPP roles is 'be interesting' and engaging with their RP.

With all the recent talk of wanting conflict and fears of stagnancy, I'm surprised anyone would complain about having these new guys coming in and shaking things up.

ETA:
I haven't played a Red yet, so I don't know the situation with your corporals. I dunno much army stuff either, but isn't it sergeants that order privates around? Corporals are just the hall-monitor kids.

WorkerDrone
Registered

Duke Attitude

Post Posted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:01 pm      Reply with quote

As to how things work in the Reds...

The clanlead says what needs to be done and the Sergeants mostly follow through, getting the Corporals to herd the recruits and Privates around like cats. Being a Corporal is basically--you're trusted enough to be told to go off with some men to do a task, but not trusted enough to make the calls. You carry out calls for people that make the calls.

Sergeant is like, if more than one decides something needs to be done or is worth doing, that'll end up being sort of a call, unless the clanlead over rules it.

That's basically how it works in the Reds, at least, it varies in other Families. New Guard I imagine, one or two people other than the clan lead can say something, and it's basically true, but the leader keeps most of the hold on his power by not handing out any official ranks. As far as I can tell at least.

Niners--totally in the dark about them. Seems there's some people who can make business calls and some people who can make "military" or armed force calls. In the Reds, business and violence can sometimes go hand in hand, so you generally see Sergeants strutting around making deals and ordering shots fired all in the same cycle.

irkallia
Guide

f--- you that's my fish and i'm having sex with it

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:00 am      Reply with quote

+1 to having public and private backgrounds, whether that be in code or on a separate family board or a forum or WHATEVER. It's so awkward to be like, "Hey, person I've never seen before!" with my PC who's been in Clan X for her whole life and for person to respond with, "Yo, I've been here all my life and everyone should know me and you don't so you're clearly new." *facepalm*

- 1 to anyone who says they don't read Bartleby's posts. They're well-written and have lots to offer - they're not just demented rambles as so often long posts are (*cough mine cough*).

Niners, from what I saw, seemed to go very much along with canon, in that there isn't a real organization to it anything like a military-esque clan like the Reds. There's The Boss, whose word is law, and then there are a few trusted ones who are given sergeant rank and deputized to have say over stuff when he says so, but everybody -gets- a say if they want one and they shout it loud enough, if they disagree with a decision. Military leaders don't necessarily have the highest ranks, but they have trust and go-ahead from The Boss. It's all very non-ranky.

(On that note, anyone in the Niners who ever makes reference to being "promoted" or "demoted" ICly is dumb and should be shot. THERE ARE NO RANKS. YOU DID NOT GET PROMOTED/DEMOTED, ALL YOU DID WAS GAIN OR LOSE ACCESS TO SOMETHING LIKE TURFQUESTS.)

(P.P.S. - HAL, that was 4 paragraphs. Do I get to be in the tl;dr club? Wink)

09:08:36 ‹Holmes› FUCKdgkljald
09:08:38 ‹Holmes› Irkallia
09:08:39 ‹Holmes› YOU GOD AMLDJALgkasdf
09:08:41 ‹Holmes› I WILL KILL YOU
09:08:43 ‹Holmes› WITH MY FACE
09:08:47 * Holmes quit
HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:10 am      Reply with quote

Irk, you are more than welcome to be my reader. You can have access to all my forums, emails, and boards that I get noticed on as an IMM, and can give me tm;cr summaries. (too many, can't read)

Keep up the good posts, though. I hope some of our clan-leads ask us to implement, or we just implement anyways.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:26 am      Reply with quote

I'll take my -1 proudly, thank you!

(In all seriousness, I don't dislike the content of the posts, just the presentation.)

Rome
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:55 am      Reply with quote

Hyriana wrote:
I'll take my -1 proudly, thank you!

(In all seriousness, I don't dislike the content of the posts, just the presentation.)

I plus 1 this -1

thorongil
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:03 am      Reply with quote

lol at people playing a MUD complaining about too much reading. Very Happy

I find myself agreeing primarily with Bartleby. The rank apped in with should represent the Family-orientedness of a player. Someone who apps in as a Corporal-rank Family members should probably be someone who puts the needs of the Family before their own needs. Think of it like any company out there: promotions are given to the people who appear to do the best for the company. It's pretty jarring to see people app in as a corporal but talk negatively about their Family or something of the sort. I'm not saying those PCs aren't interesting; they're just unlikely to be able to explain a good reason for why they earned enough trust of their higher-ups to be made a Corporal.

In some clans, rank matters a lot less. The Niners, for instance. All Corporal really means in the Niners is, "You've been here a really long time and pretty much know what's going on." It's more representative of a level of respect than an actual "rank". That's a lot different than the Reds, though, who have a defined leadership structure.

I think if a clanlead is concerned about the people apping into their clan with high ranks, they can probably email the staff and ask them to change the roles around a bit. Maybe change the 2RPP role to give private clanning still, with the same boosts, and let the promoting happen through roleplay.

hobos
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:16 pm      Reply with quote

I like that idea of yours, thorongil Smile

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:19 pm      Reply with quote

We would be happy to implement such things if requested by leads!

Page 4 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic