Concerns with Sparring/Skillgains/'Realism'
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:44 pm      Reply with quote

Go.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Holmes
Dictator in Absentia

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:58 pm      Reply with quote

Sparring doesn't get your skills above talented anymore. Actually, it hasn't for like, a month, but I found it funny to watch people do it and hurt themselves for no point.

Chazz
Cute and Cuddly Coder

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:34 pm      Reply with quote

I would say that's a fairly reasonable cap on skill gains. It wouldn't really be fair to be able to get extremely high level skills without actually putting yourself in a risky, or potentially risky situation.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:39 pm      Reply with quote

I don't think there's a problem with combat skills getting where they're able to presently, from my experience, through sewers.

HOWEVER, some skills don't seem to cap out effectively to require risky situations. Notably, scavenge. Butchery. Perhaps hide and sneak? And you know... all crafting skills.

This -could- need a look. In some places. But also maybe not, since it's not a requirement for MOST (or all) noncombat skills to require danger.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:59 pm      Reply with quote

Want adroit chemistry? Mix some chems while wrestling a gator.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:03 pm      Reply with quote

There was actually a long joke on innovative and highly amusing ways to codedly make intentionally lifting skills dangerous. Loony tunes style. Like...

Make it so that failing a sneak-hide causes people to draw and trigger autofire.

Fail a smithing and the anvil falls on you.

Exploding chems.

Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:23 pm      Reply with quote

Is it true that trash-level items or sparring items can't raise your skills above talented? Pretty sure this goes with the no sparring above talented, but then I don't really spar. And yet I have adroit

Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:26 pm      Reply with quote

Also. Crafting skills get to the point where you -can't- level them past a certain point because it's impossible due to the lack of crafts that can send you over the top. So I believe Master tends to be the end of that. And then you're just stuck at the top

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:41 pm      Reply with quote

Just want to point out that barring a scav overhaul (is that still in the works?) not everybody has equal access to "outside."

Also, in my experience "outside" seems to involve a lot of people climbing over each other to quick-draw their way into combat, with the same 3 people winning every time and getting to raise their combat skills while everybody else stands around watching. Plus, it seems to create a lot of totally unrealistic situations in which people just want to mow down any wildlife they come across in the vague hope that they might get a swing in.

Is that really what you want to be the required method of skill mastery? Not that I'm saying sparring should be. Like, at all. Nor am I really in favor of 1000 dead squicks littering the sewers because somebody was using them for target practice.

I just think "that character isn't old enough to have better skills than me after I put in hours and hours of grinding gatos on group scavs" isn't necessarily a valid argument for further gimping people who don't have hours and hours to grind gatos on group scavs. Particularly if you're only speculating about what their skills are and how they got there.

Not that there might not be one. I just don't think that's it.

ETA: The furthest limits of skill gain are almost always going to be the result of somebody considering how to gain skill over what's "realistic." All the people who gain their skills "outside" are playing the same game.

And yes, it doesn't seem fair to gain "too much" skill without having to be in real danger. But "outside" scavs haven't really been all that dangerous for a while, apart from some messy hiccups, (thanks to the work of the scav leaders who pretty much know what they're doing). The fact that ostensibly there should be danger because of zomg gatos doesn't always mean there is, when 9 (or 12 or 15 or 20) people are all competing to see who will be one of the lucky ones who gets to actually swing their sword this time.

*twiddles thumbs and waits for scav overhaul* Cool

I would prefer not to.
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:06 pm      Reply with quote

Very eloquently put, Bartleby.

Page 1 of 6   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic