Concerns with Sparring/Skillgains/'Realism'
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:12 pm      Reply with quote

irkallia wrote:
No one has ever nor will ever gain master skills from fighting squicks. It's part of the code. Already. You have to do progressively more difficult tasks to get to those levels. Already. Get Holmes to dig up the number of characters who -ever- achieved a heroic combat skill in ARPI beta. It's not a long list.

This boils down to "there's nothing wrong in the system," to me...

Quote:
I really don't see what the problem is here, other than "so and so leveled up too fast." Well, if you log in for 18 hours a day and have decent int and do nothing but grind... that's what happens. And if that gets rewarded in this game, that's what people are going to do. How about rewarding RP?

While this boils down to "the system if flawed." You aren't answering the question/dealing with the core concern, which is that a 0-danger situation can lead to people hitting talented/adroit. What problem is there in making a change that actually requires those difficult tasks for talented-to-adroit, rather than just for master-to-legendary.

Quote:
Get Holmes to dig up the number of characters who -ever- achieved a heroic combat skill in ARPI beta. It's not a long list.

To me this is an argument against you: Let's look at -adroit-. Let's look at -master-. Theeeen we can look at heroic(much less legendary). When we bring up master-to-legendary, we're discussing stuff that rarely happens in play.

" This little lizard is, perhaps, five inches long. This lizard is covered
tip-to-tail in green scales The animal has pronounced brow ridges. The little
creatures eyes are a beady black in color and complete with a nictitating eye
membrane. About the only spots of color on the animal, aside from dullish
grays, is its red, forked tongue and equally red inner mouth. "

Forget heroic, forget master. Forget -adroit-. Five inches long. You're at -least- ten times its length, and absolutely outclassing it in every manner. I didn't start this(I just made a home for it rather than in Holmes's 'you promised thread), but I can't actually see any reason for you to be able to get -talented- from fighting this guy.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:43 pm      Reply with quote

irkallia wrote:
I am 400% done with this game.

"Realism?" GTFO.

Y'all make my head asplode. This game is already the grindiest f***ing thing I have ever played in my life (no offense to Malk & co., that's the code they were given), and you all somehow think the way to curb twinkiness is to... make it MORE grindy?

Does it not register on anyone that this might be counterproductive? When you make getting "uber" more difficult, it only motivates people to work harder for it. Which means they're going to be spending more time grinding and twinking, and less roleplaying. If that's what we want, I'm out.

Edit: And seriously, guys, could this come off as any more butthurt? "Zomg somebody played less time than me and got better skills! This is an outrage! We must change the code!"

YES I AM GRUMPY. GO AWAY.

My thoughts exactly, doe I've already been with done with this game.

I miss the old pbase.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:28 pm      Reply with quote

Sadly lots of people have up and left the game. Ihave noticed a stark contrast to players and a lot of them still play cause the have so much time sunk into it. I am close to not playing myself, and I play for a few other people myself.

Rome
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:09 pm      Reply with quote

Lowdy wrote:
Sadly lots of people have up and left the game. Ihave noticed a stark contrast to players and a lot of them still play cause the have so much time sunk into it. I am close to not playing myself, and I play for a few other people myself.

I think that finding the right characters to RP with makes a difference.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:35 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:

Quote:
I really don't see what the problem is here, other than "so and so leveled up too fast." Well, if you log in for 18 hours a day and have decent int and do nothing but grind... that's what happens. And if that gets rewarded in this game, that's what people are going to do. How about rewarding RP?

While this boils down to "the system if flawed." You aren't answering the question/dealing with the core concern, which is that a 0-danger situation can lead to people hitting talented/adroit. What problem is there in making a change that actually requires those difficult tasks for talented-to-adroit, rather than just for master-to-legendary.

You can start the game with high talented, and hit adroit not long after. This is also a zero danger situation. Honestly. HONESTLY. Maybe I'm a bit biased here, because I'm probably the -source- of some of the complaints... that just sounds like a lot of 'Wah, new guy skilled up to being as good as I was when I started'.

The sewer cap is talented, at least for style. Maybe but probably not adroit for other things. This is the same you can get when you start the game if you're an RPP role or whatever.

Basically all the existing sewers mean, is that people can grind them, if they really want to, to catch up to where RPP characters are more quickly. Going adroit - master STILL requires fighting serious shit. Your point is really kind of moot.

I run into this kind of situation -all the time- on MUDs. It follows a pretty standard pattern. People show up. People buff their characters up. New people show up. New people buff their characters up. Old people get mad that new people are buff too. Old people whine for changes to make it harder for new people to buff up. It's all part of some perceived status quo maintenance, rather than anything to do with effort. And it ALWAYS leads to things becoming stagnant.

TL;DR grandpa, please stop yelling at me to get off your lawn. I like it. It's green and cozy. Sad

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:04 pm      Reply with quote

Keep calm and carry on you silly people. It's a game.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:35 pm      Reply with quote

We should have some super violent rugby-style sport. Twink aim, deflect, dodge, and weapon and style skills all with a reason!

Edit: I also just want to add that I agree with Irk here. The game is already way too grindy and code-based as it is. To an extent, I also have to agree with Crayon. It really feels, at least from some of the comments in here, like people are trying to maintain coded superiority. Sometimes, anyways. (Especially this "sparring is unrealistic" tripe. Uh. No, actually. No more unrealistic than a group of dudes competing to see who gets to be eaten by a giant lizard. Less, even. If you have a place of safety, and you live in a harsh and violent world why wouldn't you train there?)
It's a roleplaying game first. The skills back that up. Who cares if someone can grind? You can't get past adroit without being in a live situation, and after a point you even need to be outnumbered AND injured-- if I recall. Besides, given the present direction of the game, I highly doubt any of you need to worry about getting PKed.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:55 pm      Reply with quote

Moreover, I'm seeing this 'maintaining coded superiority' thing color the way people play.

Particularly vis a vis aliasing or triggering to be the first into every fight, and rescuing people out when they don't need it, during group runs. Which makes being able to solo grind to a certain level, at a minimum, absolutely necessary.

Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:07 am      Reply with quote

Well, if people are wearing shitty armor, and supposedly have shitty skills.. Expect to get rescued a lot.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:18 am      Reply with quote

I believe this conversation's been had NUMEROUS times, and the consensus has always been that rescuing or guarding combat characters out of combat when they aren't getting hit is -rude- on both an IC and OOC level.

Edit: I'm not even going to comment on the shitty skills/armor because the former is hysterical and the latter is a whole 'nother thing.

Page 4 of 6   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic