Home

Register a new account  
Concerns with Sparring/Skillgains/'Realism'
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:26 am      Reply with quote

Deal with it IC. It's not rude OOC, because deal with it IC.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:31 am      Reply with quote

wirsindallein wrote:
You can't get past adroit without being in a live situation

Let's just boil this down to "you can't get past adroit,"(see: people who have hit Master in 4 months, also see: people who have hit heroic ever) so why should people be able to do it off squicks?

Seriously: Crayon, no, I don't much find that your 13-days experience is enough for me to 100% believe it when you say "you can only get to talented in the sewers." Given I've heard from multiple people who got to adroit via squicks, unless something's changed(nobody's said that yet), I'm not convinced.

Just as seriously: Personal attacks, people, c'mon. When I ask for a legitimate reason to have people hitting talented and/or adroit off five inch lizards, do you -really- want to be throwing personal attacks out? It's what crayon, irkallia, and wirs are living on right now, rather than actually addressing any sort of issue. Ad hominem elsewhere, please.

Less-seriously: So what way am I ruining the game for everyone this week D=?

Tepes wrote:

Sorry, but some things are rude OOCly. Just as some deaths suck OOCly, and some things are OOCly motivated(IE, tanking in general). You can deal with it IC, but it's an OOC problem out of an OOC culture.

ETA:
This is probably my final foray into this unless we're turning away from "lolumadbro" comments.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:39 am      Reply with quote

Then, take it up with an admin. I'm tired of seeing people explode into OOC in front of me every time they get aggro taken off them.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:56 am      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Seriously: Crayon, no, I don't much find that your 13-days experience is enough for me to 100% believe it when you say "you can only get to talented in the sewers." Given I've heard from multiple people who got to adroit via squicks, unless something's changed(nobody's said that yet), I'm not convinced.

It's been this way since ARPI. I was told it then, and have confirmed it as far as I personally require. If you don't believe me... well. Maybe it's better you ask if there IS a cap, as so many people have said there IS (reinforced by the scarcity of adroit+ combat skills) before trying to address an issue that isn't an issue?

If your issue isn't the existence of a cap, but rather that talented/adroit is too high, that's debatable. I think I made my opinion clear that I think it's entirely necessary to allow people to reach the same skills that can be obtained at creation, on their own.

grandpa wrote:
Just as seriously: Personal attacks, people, c'mon. When I ask for a legitimate reason to have people hitting talented and/or adroit off five inch lizards, do you -really- want to be throwing personal attacks out? It's what crayon, irkallia, and wirs are living on right now, rather than actually addressing any sort of issue. Ad hominem elsewhere, please.

To be entirely honest... this discussion was somewhat ad hominem to begin with, considering the original post came not five minutes after I was -asking- Aken about some of my skill gains. Moreover, it's boiled over IC to a large extent, which is incredibly irritating.

grandpa wrote:
Tepes wrote:

Sorry, but some things are rude OOCly. Just as some deaths suck OOCly, and some things are OOCly motivated(IE, tanking in general). You can deal with it IC, but it's an OOC problem out of an OOC culture.

Agreed, a thousand times over.

Tepes wrote:
Then, take it up with an admin. I'm tired of seeing people explode into OOC in front of me every time they get aggro taken off them.

I've seen you do this yourself, on at least one occasion. I've also seen you come out and start bad-mouthing me on OOC for something far less questionable. The only difference is that you're an established player with magical role authority and I've been playing here a month.

This is why I'm saying that there's a clear feeling of this being a 'entrenched oldbies' trying to OOCly -and- ICly crackdown on 'upstart newbies' because apparently grinding to high talented (which is where people who apped in with RPP role PCs from the get-go started) issue.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:03 am      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
To be entirely honest... this discussion was somewhat ad hominem to begin with, considering the original post came not five minutes after I was -asking- Aken about some of my skill gains. Moreover, it's boiled over IC to a large extent, which is incredibly irritating.

You can bring that up with Aken, but he hasn't posted in this thread at all--I brought it up because you two did over in the other thread.

Quote:
'entrenched oldbies' trying to OOCly -and- ICly crackdown on 'upstart newbies' because apparently grinding to high talented (which is where people who apped in with RPP role PCs from the get-go started) issue.

I'd love to discuss this entire thread further, Crayon, but you seem pretty hostile/focused on being aggressive, and I don't much care to 'til the attitude improves. Bowing out, as I said: recommending admins just lock the toxic thread before it gets out of hand, but do-as-thou-wilt.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:07 am      Reply with quote

Can feel free to discuss it with me via PM or on the chat, if you'd prefer, grandpa.

I'm not really -trying- to be too aggressive about it? But maybe it's coming off that way.

More trying to state things as factually as I can, based off of what I know or am relatively certain I know.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:23 am      Reply with quote

To be clear, when I talk about the 'entrenched oldbies' versus 'uppity newbies' thing, I'm not actually trying to imply that that's the entirety of the motivation going on here, least of all in grandpa's case.

What I am trying to say, is that's the kind of -effect- and -culture- that comes about -from- these sort of changes and discussions, in my experience MUDding as a whole.

Edited in: When I talk about the rescue/tanking issue, which I think grandpa and I seem to agree on being at least partly OOC-driven, I'm pointing out that limiting the amount of solo-skillgrinding that characters can achieve just makes that -worse-. Without sewers being there to allow people to get skills up to a reasonable level, the only people who can reasonably guard/tank for a better shot at upping skills are people who start with skill boosts. Which makes things more of a mess.

As recompense for coming off hostile and nasty, and as the responsible thing to do, maybe I can propose an improvement that would achieve -both- the ends Aken brought up in the other thread, and that grandpa raised here, AND fix another problem entirely, all in one go?

While code-intensive, it would seem reasonable to make it so that the 'cooldown' between skill gains that supposedly exists has a second requirement, after reaching familiar: RP. Have the game track emotes/says/tells/radios, and attribute points towards a target number that increases with the skill, based on the quantity of text. Then skillgaining past familiar would require BOTH time AND RP. It would still be -possible- to grind to talented or adroit in the sewers, but in the process we would: A) prevent people from grinding and ignoring RP, B) Encourage people to RP, C) slow down skill gains from sewer soloing.

edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:05 am      Reply with quote

Tepes wrote:

That doesn't really always work that well, because it's an inherently poor OOC practice. I've played a doctor in ARPI and people often got upset in OOC, including the oldbies, when I treated people without their consent. Although completely unintentional on my behalf, it is very much a justified criticism. Pushing individuals out of the way so that the lizard can bite you and your skill gets bumped is perhaps somewhat more imaginable mechanically, but it's -incredibly- bad character design.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:13 pm      Reply with quote

Sewers should just collapse. The mind set that you have to grind your skillz up before being useful etc etc on trips is annoying. Things are supposed to be dangerous.. and grinding up your combat skillz in the sewers is pretty meh. Not that I don't do it... have to stay competitive. I'd just rather it not be an option at all.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:22 am      Reply with quote

I'd very much like it if you pointed out the ad hominem in my one post, Grandpa.

Page 5 of 6   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic