Register a new account  
Please consider that...
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:34 am      Reply with quote

I'm on the fence.

On the one hand, I think a certain amount of sneakiness is totally in bounds, and it's obviously hard to be sneaky if you have to broadcast everything a week in advance to make sure everyone can be logged in. And you never quite know how things are going to escalate, so it's not unusual for things to reach a sudden and unexpected flash point.

On the other hand, people have jobs and real lives and so on that makes it hard to organize them and get everyone informed and involved fast enough to keep up with events in game. It's also the case that sometimes advance notice allows you to shuffle things around to participate in situations you otherwise wouldn't have been able to. Or, alternatively, lack of such prevents you from doing so.

For the future, I think what matters most is a general, mutual climate of consideration toward one's fellow players. You can't always control IG events, you don't always make what turns out to be the most advantageous call. But I think the unpredictability of the game and the possibility of being left out of major incidents might be a lot easier to weather if everybody was pretty sure they as players had been taken into account as much as was possible.

I would prefer not to.
Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:41 am      Reply with quote

Wait, for a PRPT escpecially a Clan's PRPT, there is no requirement for it. That is like saying that we are going to warn someone (as a county) That we are going to target and strike such and such resource cause we know that it is hidden HERE. Then they move the resource? Huh, who would have expected them to hide their resource? Hmmmmmm. Who would have known that?

I am just saying that a forum post would have been too OOC and that any information leaved ICLY should have been it.

WorkerDrone
Registered

Duke Attitude

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:47 am      Reply with quote

I think mainly, when a group takes advantage of another group, who with some warning of a RPT taking place, would have turned out in higher numbers, players that would have wanted to be there, because it would have made IC sense?

Yeah it's kinda suckish to not include -players- when not including players in things that totally change the map happen, but well.

I dunno. I wouldn't fight hard for it either.

HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:12 pm      Reply with quote

We usually don't give notice to the entire playerbase of clan pRPTs, unless they are requested to be announced for the entire playerbase.

We could of course change that policy. But - keep in mind that certain game changing events are certainly things that can be affected ICly.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:07 pm      Reply with quote

I'm kind of a waffler on this. Because yes, requiring a big ol' OOC post informing people that maybe they want to be around at this or that time is kind of a handicap, in the sense that it would cripple the ability to run any clan-oriented PRPTs that involve some measure of surprise.

On the other hand, this leaves a variety of holes open through which one could theoretically exploit the OOC knowledge of one's playtimes or absences to push through IC agendas that other absent players would ordinarily be around to prevent.

As such, I think it's fairly clear that a firm rule one way or the other would create more problems than it prevents.

This sort of situation is best covered under Wheaton's Law. Don't be a dick, guys. It's a game. The end.

Bangbang
Registered

Sockpuppet

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:10 pm      Reply with quote

On behalf of pof Bastian:

WorkerDrone wrote:
Hey, so, I can comment that people it MIGHT relate to were made aware of it ICly. Some of the event itself only on the day it happened, and the day after when it was all said and done. Others as much as a week in advance. Not everyone was made aware of this (certain clan away from two others) because, aptly, they probably wouldn't know about what was going on the entire way across Rust, much.

padweld999 wrote:
I think people's concerns were that for such a MASSIVE project, it didn't really disseminate properly IC. At least, that is my impression. Yes, people -knew- (at least a few outside of that clan) but there wasn't a ton of preparation time. Again, this is just what I hear, not necessarily a persona opinion of the matter.

*ho-hums*
I'm on the fence about this as well, for multiple reasons:

One, ICly attempts were made to keep it secret. These attempts were met with varying degrees of success, culminating in(it seems) an entire clan being aware of it, for, as was noted, RL days of time. The Niners even had eyes on us building it for a pretty significant period of time, and there was a fresh building built in a strategic location for ~24 hours ahead of time that people could've asked about.

Two, OOCly I'm not sure what people would've preferred to see: an OOC post about there being -something- happening? Or another Red Company building project? I'm asking this seriously/earnestly.

Three, I'm not sure how IC dissemination on this sortof thing should work(and it's still not clear whether people are dissatisfied with how it worked or not, or just that it wasn't announced OOCly). The only thing I can say is that if you're terribly concerned, e-mail Staff. I've been in contact with them for over two weeks for this, and they didn't see fit to put out IC rumors, so keep that in mind.

HAL wrote:
But - keep in mind that certain game changing events are certainly things that can be affected ICly.

Four, let me soothe some worries(hopefully): I've been assured that there will be a tug-of-war system, and that these gates are going to be a long-term thing that every person in Rust can affect. Quoting Holmes here, and though this isn't in yet, "these gates [will] require a fairly persistent upkeep...and the potential to be attacked and dismantled."

So. Maybe that fixes things a little? I don't know. More questions than answers.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:31 pm      Reply with quote

Personally, I don't see any particular issues with what happened? I wasn't there, so maybe I -should-. But I don't think so. Overall it sounds like what happened was pretty cool, and productive for the purposes of creating an infrastructure for conflict, and an incentive for it, besides 'lol pk'. Kudoes to Pof Bastian for doing something that, I think, is probably going to be great for the game. And taking the flak for it in manly fashion.

thorongil
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:41 pm      Reply with quote

Posted on behalf of pof Mertz:

I don't really have a problem with how it went down, or with the outcome, and it was sort of a trial run so it's predictable that there would be some rough edges. You wanted conflict, you got it! And kudos to everyone for keeping it non-lethal so far. Seriously.

For the future: It should be noted that due to various absences, RL situations and bad luck within the Niners, there just wasn't enough time to discuss and settle on a response, let alone attempt to make it before the point was moot. This had partly to do with how ambiguous the information was early on -- which I liked, but it required more research than there was really time for.

Had things been moving along like a well-oiled machine OOCly, it probably would have been plenty of time, but then how often is that true? RL takes a while, as it turns out.

Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:11 pm      Reply with quote

I think this is something everyone would have ended up knowing about, plenty of time prior. That's the issue.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:17 pm      Reply with quote

Tepes wrote:
I think this is something everyone would have ended up knowing about, plenty of time prior. That's the issue.

Yes and no. There was pretty considerable effort made to keep it a secret within the clan. People who did the building didn't wear markings and were masked and such. The Gates weren't built on site, they were moved there after. There was a gatehouse up prior, but I'm not sure it really would have been clear what the building /was/ other than just some strange looking building.

Page 2 of 3   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic