Home

Register a new account  
Motivational Factors
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:00 am      Reply with quote

I've been talking a while about how there is a lack of things that motivate a player/pc to log in frequently and enjoy playing the game. These factors come down to plot, resources, town development, and exploration.

1. Plot:
Why we need it: Some players play for the story. Some like to create their own. Plots are the key to the games success.
-Admin generated plots or occasionally player generated plots can keep the game fresh. However we've been lacking gripping plots for a while. The cannibals was a good plot because it allowed us to fight a new style of enemy and we could do it for the sake of the town. But I want to talk about the current over-arching plot, Hyperion.

What isn't working:
-Hyperion at the moment is a really terrible plot device. On an OOC level we know we are eventually suppose to either get inside hyperion or something will come out of it, and therefore we run rpts and such to try and seek access. But the fundamental flaw with this is that there is no reason to get into Hyperion. The town is not struggling, we don't need anything from Hyperion to survive, we have food, metal,plastic, etc in huge supply. There are no threats that are forcing us to emigrate from Rust and on top of that we don't actually want to leave Rust where we sink time and effort into town development.

2. Resources: Resources have been a problem from day one and I'll break it down into categories.
Food:
What we need it for: Life
Why it isn't motivating us: Tubs and tubs of food comes from each scav, rats are easy to get if things are desperate, green houses also supply food. No one in Rust could possibly starve. This is a problem because no effort has to be put into food. In atonement and other RPIs occasionally you would have to for a group for the sole purpose of food gathering just to make overhead. Therefore food was a motivation factor to force people to act.

Metals, hides:
Why we need it: Crafting , armor and weapons.
Why it isn't working: Metals are relatively easy to get over time from the sewers, and you can still get decent quantities from the easier to reach scav locations. Hides come easily from each suicidal lagato that charges a scav team. There is no motivation factor to gather hides and metals are not an important scav resource. In fact most scav leaders will pass over large scrap locations as it isn't worth the time to forage. This problem is two-fold, hides allow armorers to practice and dish out higher quality armor in a short time frame making armor easy to get removes it as a motivation factor. Also since metals are easy to get only individuals who are willing to slave into the sewers for materials are being motivated by them. Indies could not throw together a bar of magnon and put in on auction for 5-10 chips and expect it to sell, therefore lack of motivation to do it.

Town Development:
-Rust: The town is suppose to be our home, its our sandbox. Pc's lead the major factions and every square inch of turf is available for us as players to use. In fact we can even use the outside wilderness to further develop the town. The only area we are restricted on is the market which is fair.
-By development I mean a few things. Building, families or even independents should be wanting to build build build. We have the system for it. We can build, player homes, gates, crows nest, shops, tunnels, possibly new roads, on the inside plus anything else you can imagine. On the outside you can build towers and bunkers. I even bet that admins would let you garrison towers and bunkers with one or two npc's that will shoot wildlife so you can protect the area around the structure giving it a real purpose.
[
Politics: Are big, they control the game dynamic and for prpi the players have the most control over the politics..Therefore this point deserves its own thread which I will do later.

Exploration:
Why it is good: Curiousity is an important driving force for all the players. When the metro opened we had to explore every inch, when the wilderness opened in atonement we had to explore explore explore. This lead to many nights of fun and rp.
Why it isn't working: We reused the atonement grunge town map which is fine. We all wanted the game back regardless of whether the map was original. There have been some new places to explore thanks to admins. Unfortunately the administration is strapped for time and can't pump out new areas to keep the mud motivated and fresh based on exploration alone.

Final note: I didn't actually put any solutions to any of these problems in this post because it was too long. Instead I would rather other players who have a solution to make a headline such as 'Food:' followed by their solution. I'd like a discussion.

Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:47 pm      Reply with quote

M'kay. Like the post and what you're saying, but I feel maybe this post a bit jaded from lack of being in-game? Because I know that last few items near the bottom have reared their heads either separately or all at once.

Food, metal, and town development all were implemented by at least one of the Families for sure. Which also ended up incorporating politics, which like any kind of politics turned shitty as you can see in the threads pertaining to recent happenings. But still, it happened. And the materials that when into it made the family conscious about what they were doing with their other items, less they go completely metal bankrupt. If it had gone any further, other items likely would have gone into it, what didn't go towards turf work, which was all happening, if a bit slowly. I can't really speak for the other families, don't really know what they do to be honest for anyone but themselves. Can always try to get projects that change Rust like this if you want.[/b]

And then they kissed. They kissed like like lovers, like friends, like rivals, like enemies. They kissed... like soul mates.
HAL
Administrator

Senior RPA

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:22 pm      Reply with quote

We have the first stage of one of the fixes pending currently; it's been finished and is just awaiting a final spit-shine.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:03 pm      Reply with quote

HAL wrote:
We have the first stage of one of the fixes pending currently; it's been finished and is just awaiting a final spit-shine.

Soon TM.

(I'm excited.)

starsignal
Registered

just a page in someone's book

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:53 pm      Reply with quote

Not to derail, but I wonder if the playerbase wouldn't benefit from more transparent communication coming from the staff regarding pending developments and changes. I realize some people may feel this would take the surprise out of things -- I'm not saying the updates need to be explicit, but I think if the staff posted periodically to say "we're working on solutions to X, Y, and Z problems," it might make for a more content playerbase.

Soon(tm) will never be eradicated, of course, but as long as said solutions are visible it shouldn't matter too much!

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:09 pm      Reply with quote

2 more weeks.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:18 pm      Reply with quote

I know from my perspective that somefamilies are working towards mutating andshiftingthe city of rust and running plot themed RPTs. Sure some can get messy, and others not so much. But I do see work in making sandcastles in the sandbox!

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:23 pm      Reply with quote

starsignal wrote:
Not to derail, but I wonder if the playerbase wouldn't benefit from more transparent communication coming from the staff regarding pending developments and changes. I realize some people may feel this would take the surprise out of things -- I'm not saying the updates need to be explicit, but I think if the staff posted periodically to say "we're working on solutions to X, Y, and Z problems," it might make for a more content playerbase.

Soon(tm) will never be eradicated, of course, but as long as said solutions are visible it shouldn't matter too much!

1000x this its like pulling teeth getting any information on when things are coming, whats in the works, and what the details of said changes might be. Having feedback from players before something goes in would like benefit the whole process. AND you will probably get volunteers for descriptions.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:34 pm      Reply with quote

^ Third this

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:02 pm      Reply with quote

We're all moving to a spaceship and going to Mars.

Page 1 of 2   Θ   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic