Home

Register a new account  
a relatively strange idea I thought about for roleplay
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Kuromushi
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:19 pm      Reply with quote

I am probably going to get flamed for this, but I was thinking about roleplay and ic situations and how it can somewhat be improved. Most of my roleplay came from MUSH's and tabletop games so I have a huge background, even if my roleplaying skills have diminished over time from working and distractions. But still, there's a lot of conflict with code and the way players seem to handle things.

From my experience, most people handle death badly, especially if they think that code was abused without any realy form of ic communication. This is basically because most people oocly know what's going on, when it's going to happen, who to target and realize the opportunity that awaits in gaining an edge.

All this is practically unavoidable thanks to instant messaging and a slew of contacts people keep together so that in the time of need, they can gather a group and play their hand. So I thought to myself, how would I take control of the situation?

I know it's more of a singular thing, and it would be too messy in a gang fight, but say you got into a knife fight with someone. Would you consider rather than hit/kill person, rolling your skill and roleplaying the situation? If people are worried about death, this could be an interesting way of starting and finishing a conflict without the need of abusing code. Just a thought and probably not a very good one, but I'm at some stage wanting to give it a go.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm      Reply with quote

I'm sorry.

I'm a hardcore roleplayer.

I agree that coded combat isn't the -best- tool for RP. In fact in many ways it diminishes RP.

But I despise using rolls or pure RP for combat as a standard, outside of cases like... RP'd sparring or whatnot with people you trust.

Causes more problems than it solves.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm      Reply with quote

I have thought about bringing up an idea for a while now, but figured I needed to think more on it first. Originally, I had only thought about it for those instances where you want to punch someone and actually have it show up but without actually going completely code. But why not let it be an option for all combat skills?

What about a request/accept command, like when joining a clan, that does a single attack against a targetable location? I'll give the syntax to save time explaining:

You/Joe: sattack smallblade Bob rleg

Bob: Joe would like to make a single attack on your right leg using his smallblade. Do you accept?

Two things of note: If you do not have a smallblade wielded, the request will not go through and it will echo to you saying so. And the room echo should be easily distinguishable from regular combat to avoid people panicking into a full-blown fight.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:48 pm      Reply with quote

I was just about to come in here and make a similar suggestion to Nedinu's, though not so detailed. The ability to make a single attack that doesn't put you into 'full blown combat' would be great for RPing out fights. Otherwise, rolling in general doesn't help as much as you might think since it won't take into account comparative weapon or armor quality, just raw skill and stats.

Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I always feel really dodgy trying to RP out wounds that don't actually exist codedly. I still do sometimes, and acknowledge when others do, but it feels a bit odd anyway. Maybe there could be a command to /give/ yourself a wound in times when this might make sense? Probably would need a hefty timer to keep people from spamming first aid skillups, I'd assume.

Kuromushi
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:34 pm      Reply with quote

well that's an even better suggestion than mine, just you know, personally i don't mind coded combat, or dying for that matter. If I die, I'll just reroll. I probably won't become as good as say, a character that plays it safe, but knowing the way the game icly works out that's not a problem for me. However, I was just considering that kind of option for those who want to do things with a bit more... flair? Something like that.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:28 pm      Reply with quote

That would be fantastic, Nedinu.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:41 pm      Reply with quote

The only thing is, I know I had a reason why I never posted about it before, but I can't for the life of me remember it. I think it might've been that if it allowed the recipient to dodge automitically, it might lead to weird situations where a person couldn't realistically dodge but does anyways; like a sneak attack that both players agree to?

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:57 pm      Reply with quote

I guess you could keep trying until it works, though that might look odd. It is a workaround, though?

This is something I would personally love since I personally find the concept of RP during combat basically impossible with how fast it moves. I type something up and I've been hit five more times since then or missed, or fallen down, etc.

hobos
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:24 pm      Reply with quote

Why roleplay wounds for longer than they codedly last? I guess it's weird to be like horribly wounded one day and totally fine the next, but maybe the problem is more with 4x speed... I feel like people giving themselves wounds would be more immersion breaking, though, maybe that's just me...

I like the idea about single attacks being accepted, maybe there could be a few responses, you could try to dodge it and the game would do the rolls hidden, or you could take it and the game will still roll for damage.

Rolling OOC gets on my nerves for those roleplayed-through fights... it's immersion breaking and people invariably disagree about what should have happened with this roll or that roll and end up arguing in OOC as if it's a D&D game. I'd either rather just make emotes in a realistic, non-power-emoting way and let people decide what to emote back, or have a code fight and write emotes during it.

I think precisely because we have code to fight with, it can be kind of odd fighting in emotes alone, especially when people roleplay being hurt afterward and they're actually fine. It's one thing to roleplay a chronic sort of injury (maybe someone's hip never healed right and so they limp a little, or something like that) and another to be like 'o blah gave me a concussion when he emoted delivering a haymaker to the head and I will roleplay this through several days while other people get gutted by lagato in the waste and recover'.

What I mean is, there should be some reliable standard for this. It doesn't bug me too much, honestly, I play along with whatever, it's just incongruous and requires more suspension-of-disbelief that the game normally does.

Right now the code is generally the "reliable standard" we have.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:38 pm      Reply with quote

hobos wrote:
Why roleplay wounds for longer than they codedly last? I guess it's weird to be like horribly wounded one day and totally fine the next, but maybe the problem is more with 4x speed... I feel like people giving themselves wounds would be more immersion breaking, though, maybe that's just me...

Part of it is the 4x speed thing, since I've seen points where someone with hyper con gets as down to 3-4 stars and then, without any treatment is somehow back up at 5 in like thirty minutes. As far as giving wounds, it would likely be rare. But say, if you were doing something that should injure you like sifting through broken glass with bare hands and then you want treatment for having lacerated hands but you have no real code wounds? Kind of odd feeling.

Page 1 of 3   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic