Register a new account  
OOC Grudges and Considerations
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
tempest
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:36 am      Reply with quote

thorongil wrote:

You're making what I feel is an unfair assumption here. You're assuming it's an OOC clinginess, when in fact it's quite possible that it's because of IC motivations, not OOC.

While I think that your concerns are absolutely valid, and a working solution should probably be sought, I think that you have a rather poor attitude about things.

...duh. I can easily come up with a list of reasons why a leader would ICly not want to give up leadership. I could idle my Clan Lead for a year and still have a great IC reason to not ICly give it up, "I don't wanna! I'm the boss! I appointed X and Y to handle stuff while I vacay!" The mind boggling thing is that the Niners have had this problem with every single Clan Lead. Seeing it for the third time..sure, maybe my attitude is bad, sorry.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:05 am      Reply with quote

thorongil wrote:
tempest wrote:
The thing is, the person in question has never been active really, even prior to being CL, and now seems to be even less so.

That's actually not true.

Quote:
It's just dumb to see someone OOCly clinging to 'omgz I am the leaderz' especially after seeing it a billion times in mudding.

You're making what I feel is an unfair assumption here. You're assuming it's an OOC clinginess, when in fact it's quite possible that it's because of IC motivations, not OOC.

While I think that your concerns are absolutely valid, and a working solution should probably be sought, I think that you have a rather poor attitude about things.

It doesn't matter, Thorongil.

Somebody who doesn't OOCly put time and effort into doing the job of a clanlead, is, it's fair to assume, ICly being incompetent. It doesn't matter how 'ICly clingy' they are to their position. If they're not doing their job, they would have been replaced by now. ICly. By the dozens of people likely sitting and waiting for a chance to do something better with the position.

This makes it VERY MUCH an OOC issue and not an IC one. Because the only reason, ICly, that they're still IN that position is because the mechanisms for replacing inactive or incompetent clanleads ICly don't exist IG.

Keep in mind. I'm not saying 'SHAME ON THE PLAYER FOR DOING THIS'. I'm saying that well... regardless of 'IC motivations', keeping an entire family, a fourth of the playerbase, hostage to one's absentee leaderism is a selfish thing to do, OOCly. Because at the end of the day (and grandpa will probably come vouch for this) being a clanlead is as much an OOC job as it is an IC job. I understand it might not -seem- like they're doing anything wrong, as they're just... playing their character. But come on. If you don't have the OOC time or motivation to lead, it's not hard to just... NOT LEAD.

But at the same time, there's a careful balance of... not holding OOC circumstances against people ICly. Real tricky issue.

Edit: On a side note, this line of discussion has little or nothing to do with the thread's original intent, and is probably something better handled either in private PMs, or in discussion with the staff. Because it's a contentious and unpleasant discussion, and it's prone to erupting into hostility rather than actual suggestions for improvement or reasoned debate. Hell, I'm probably sounding rude myself. Not the intention.

Second edit: While I agree with thorongil that the specific mention of a character with regards to this complaint was out of line, at the same time, I doubt there's a reasonably active player who wouldn't know exactly the situation to which tempest is referring, at present. However. Let's keep in mind that Pof TheCharacterInvolved is far from the only person that has, will, or is part of this kind of situation. Let's steer clear and away from anything devolving into personal attacks?

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:37 am      Reply with quote

Get your clan together and decide a new leader. Said leader doesn't like it... shoot them in the face when they log in.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:51 am      Reply with quote

A problem is, in a clan like the Niners where leadership isn't a big deal to its members, what motivation does someone have to kick a current lead out of power (even an absent one) without being power-hungry?

irkallia
Guide

f--- you that's my fish and i'm having sex with it

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:32 am      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
keeping an entire family, a fourth of the playerbase, hostage to one's absentee leaderism is a selfish thing to do, OOCly.

You really can't characterize the situation as such, because that's pretty much entirely untrue of what is actually going on.

Further, being a member of said clan and having asked around, there has been zero mention of unhappiness with the current clan leadership arrangements directed toward anyone who might be in a position to actually -change- said arrangements.

Poor form, folks. This entire thread, really. Making vague accusations of 'everyone' and making personal attacks on situations you obviously don't understand (and seemingly have no reason to be bitchy about? I somehow doubt that having said leader booted would result in you having a shot at it, tempest) both fall under the category of things that don't really need to be on the forums.

09:08:36 ‹Holmes› FUCKdgkljald
09:08:38 ‹Holmes› Irkallia
09:08:39 ‹Holmes› YOU GOD AMLDJALgkasdf
09:08:41 ‹Holmes› I WILL KILL YOU
09:08:43 ‹Holmes› WITH MY FACE
09:08:47 * Holmes quit
tempest
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:36 am      Reply with quote

...lol, I have no desire to be clan lead, I'm still a newbie, but thanks for taking that potshot.

Also, nobody cares ICly, you're right. However, OOCly, the Clan Lead should be playing, or one of the people currently running stuff should get the spot (hint : I'm not one of those people) and doing stuff to keep the Family fun, not dropping in once every other month to remind people he's the boss.

Not sure how pointing that out makes me a terrible person. Seeming vaguely like a '"that guy is my buddy ooc!" thing. You can't exactly argue with the fact that he's not playing.

Making personal attacks on situations we don't understand..

A) Guy with leader spot is not playing

Leads to

B) Maybe that guy should either give up or be stripped of his spot.

And then

C) Noooo, you don't understand what is going on, you're so mean and selfish!!!

What.

Tepes
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:30 am      Reply with quote

Wow.

Chazz
Cute and Cuddly Coder

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:01 pm      Reply with quote

See, normally I would be all for a conversation like this. But it seems like this has went past 'Hey x clanlead isn't playing as much as I think a clanlead should.' And it's sort of devolved into a lot of angst, complaining, and misdirected OOC tension and emotion.

And that being said, it isn't a problem, because said clanlead isn't cornering or cutting down on what the family can or can't do.

It's a legitimate concern, sure, but in general, this comes off in the same grudging fashion as noted earlier in the thread.

Starmonger
Registered

Void Dreamer

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:19 pm      Reply with quote

I'd say go to the old tradition of starting a new thread, but a subject like this is bound to erupt even when it's the main focus of a thread and not a side areguement because of a pointed comment about leadership. I really don't know what to say becasue I haven't been a part of the Niners since Daz's unfortounate death, so I won't pretend I know what's going on. But constantly complaining about the player in question instead of trying to settle it however you see fit in a calm and mature manner isn't going to solve anything. I really don't know what to say and I hate the division we keep having in this community of ours. For one, it's really exhausting and also kinda of sad <Inser sappy Wonderful World video>

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:08 pm      Reply with quote

What Matt said. If you have problems with a clan lead. Gun them down.

You synchronise a resilient, pink handheld control with a
rubbery screen to a vaguely-humanoid mountain of machinery
Page 4 of 5   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic