Register a new account  
Nobody is voting
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:31 am      Reply with quote

Flincher14 wrote:
Why not just add a mild inscentive to voting. Nothing big, just like..redeemable vote points that you can redeem in a special newbie shop after character creation.

Nothing game breaking but just neat stuff, like guitars, good clothes, etc. Im sure people would be encouraged to vote.

100 vote points = good quality flavor item like a neat instrument.

No.

A) IC rewards for OOC activity = BAD
B) The above
C) Again
D) Also, the voting sites disqualify you if you do that

Edited: We also don't seem to have anybody voting on TMC? Which is an infinitely more oft-used site than TMS? Highly recommend we get on that. Or maybe think about putting voting button links somewhere on the main page? Like... with the number of people we have active, the shortage of voting is actually kind of silly. On a MUD that averaged 10-15 at peak and 1-5 off-peak, we managed to hit 8th on TMC at one point. There's no reason we can't break the top 20 with the kind of numbers we've got on PRPI.

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:55 am      Reply with quote

Just to clarify, we don't and never will offer IC incentives for OOC actions such as voting, donations etc.

I've stickied a voting thread here with links to TMS and TMC, in lieu of adding voting buttons but will have a look into it.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:28 pm      Reply with quote

It's one thing to say 'staff are working, staff are volunteers'. I understand that. It's great the work you're putting in... except no one can /see/ any of that work. I've had a question/requests out for two weeks that I haven't gotten any response to.

At the moment, I can honestly say that I'm not voting because I don't feel inspired to. The game feels stagnant and I don't feel much motivation to play. Which is probably a very bad place for someone in my position to be in. I'm not really sure what can be done to change it at the moment, as the only options I see are some fairly pointless DRAMA and... nothing.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:18 pm      Reply with quote

Honestly, the staff are busting their asses. The fact that bugs get addressed, the game comes back up from hard crashes, petitions get responded to, character applications get accepted and rooms get built is all evidence of that. None of that happens automagically.

It's true that we can't see them working behind the scenes to address some of the larger issues the game suffers from, but it actually wouldn't make any sense for them not to be -- they, as much as any player, want the game to fly. Otherwise all their hard work goes down the toilet. In fact perhaps they're working so hard at addressing the current situation that they don't have as much time for other things as they did and will.

This game is, and was always described as, an experiment. It was opened before it was finished, they made no bones about that, ever. They opened it so we would have an opportunity to play before the months and months (years and years?) of work it takes to polish a game like this. And probably also so that we could be part of the experiment and provide data they would use to figure out how to make this format work.

It's a new and untested format, I hope everyone realizes. It's going to take vision, dedication, patience and hard work from players as well as staff. I think it would help if we all focused more on the completion/improvement of the game and less on whether or not we personally are receiving the high quality of service we desire from an RPI. If there IS a problem with service, perhaps we could consider ourselves why that might be and what could be done to improve the situation, rather than simply demanding that the staff fix it for us at any cost.

A lot of us are burnt out. But at least we as players aren't responsible for the good time of every single person playing the game, with all the hours and hours and hours of labor that entails. It's an exhausting and thankless job, and I wouldn't touch it again with a ten foot pole. I don't know how anyone does it, honestly, but the last thing I want is for them all to decide it isn't worth doing, because then I don't have a game to play at all.

Vinegar hasn't really been improving a whole lot, that I can see. Maybe honey deserves a chance?

ETA:
For clarity:

One example of what we could do might be stating our (legitimate) desire for more transparency in a compassionate way that doesn't automatically force the staff into a defensive/adversarial position. They're just people, after all. Sometimes our needs might conflict, and it isn't easy to negotiate that situation, but assuming battle stance from the outset actually decreases the likelihood of a favorable outcome.

I would prefer not to.
Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:40 pm      Reply with quote

If you think that was an 'attack post', you probably don't want to see me really make one. That was just my probably overly brutal but honest assessment of what I feel the current situation in game is. I'm not going to delve any further into it because I don't have any real solutions to present at the moment.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53 pm      Reply with quote

I honestly have felt the same way. I have sent emails (repeatedly) for over 2 months ago. The only thing that stopped me from reminding them about it is that my PC died and is no longer valid anymore. About 40% of my emails are ignored which usually are things like construction, bugs and the like. So, I too get frustrated. The only thing that keeps me going off on a tirade of anger is what BArtleby said. They are low manned, and are overworked for something they are asking to do! So, I am patient and I hope they get to me when my number is called. They have my appreciation in that department. So I ask, do keep up the good work! ^_^

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:33 pm      Reply with quote

Transparecny is a big thing, we want to know what the staff is doing and what it means to us. We dont need full on patch notes on every little number change and adjustment but an update log would let us know things are happening and keep us interested.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:37 pm      Reply with quote

Atonement, and by extension Parallel, has always been full of overpromises. It's the Peter Molyneux of RPIs, really.

I'm friends with the Staff. I've seen them be fair, and I've seen points where they're unfair. They're _human_. They're talented and intelligent and also undermanned and overworked.

If the game is going to be 'fixed,' players will be the primary source of that.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:43 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
Atonement, and by extension Parallel, has always been full of overpromises. It's the Peter Molyneux of RPIs, really.

I agree with everything else you said, but I don't think this is a valid (or fair) comparison at all. To ARPI, maybe. But nobody ever said PRPI was finished, or wouldn't be an on-going project.

And, to be honest, I also think that an assumption that PRPI was just ARPI 2.0 is a huge part of the expectation gap that has caused people to anticipate what they weren't promised and then be disappointed when they didn't get it.

I would prefer not to.
Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:53 pm      Reply with quote

I keep seeing it come up that players need to bring about the change to 'fix' the game. And I respect the difficulty that goes into running a game. I spent like six months "running" (and I'm using the air quotes there recklessly) a MUD starting from scratch, building rooms and running plots. It's hard. Even if I was just doing it for like 5-6 of my friends.

That said, I'm at a point where I just don't know what to do anymore. There's only so much 'stuff' to be gathered, so many things that can be built. It just feels to me like we're at a point where some sort of outside input is needed to shake things up.

Maybe I'm not just cut out for a pure sandbox type game. Maybe there are some systems that need to be put in place in game so the world is more interactive. If a lot of the action in the game is supposed to come from the Families fighting and bickering with each other, I don't know how to handle that without it being a) stressful and b) resorting to PK.

Edit: Just as an addendum, I always have and probably always will be a PvE type player. PvP has never 'done' it for me.

Page 2 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic