Register a new account  
Nobody is voting
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:56 am      Reply with quote

Tyrael wrote:
Umm...I think he was just saying people don't commonly try and kill eachother so it's not a big hassle if your skills aren't up to par with other people's skills.
He never said this was GrandpaMUD or anything. Just like...chillax, Roadhawk.

What dis guy said.

Also, I'm not sure what your point is, RH, but perhaps you could elaborate.

You see, I'm from a school that believes that if you criticize something, you should offer a solution for your criticism. Something that, in your opinion, would solve the problem, or at least ameliorate it.

How would you propose the issue of people that are active and logged in accumulating skills where those that do neither don't be resolved? Should we uh... Just remove skillgains entirely? Set everybody to Adroit across the board and call it a day? Make skillgains work by just existing, rather than actually doing anything IG? I don't see how this is a problem, so much as the way things probably -SHOULD- be?

Not trying to be rude about it, or nasty, or snarky. I think this is a very valid concern with your statement. Could you elaborate on what you mean? Because I feel like I have to be missing the point.

If your concern is more with perceived 'twinking' I'll repeat what I've said before, and suggest that there are a large number of people that treat activities around skill increasing as an IC activity, with IC motivation. ICly, it would make no sense for the people who ICly put effort into getting better at things by practicing them to not surpass those that don't. It's an admittedly arbitrary and flawed way of determining merit for skillgaining, but there has to be -some- system, nonetheless. If you'd like to discuss ways to make the 'twinking' process more RP-oriented or require more RP, again, I'd be game to hear out ideas, and have a few of my own. But it's unlikely that any of them would be a change we could see in an immediate or even short-to-medium term, due to the resources and time available to an already exceptionally busy and hardworking staff.

As for the second concern, I think that's perhaps valid. But also kind of illogical at the same time? If a person likely is cognizant that if they took a break they would be unlikely to return at all, why would they then continue playing? Isn't that kind of cutting off the nose to spite the face?

Though, with steady improvements and changes in climate for, hopefully, the better, maybe there will be less people who feel inclined to leave, or like they need to take a break, overall? If we're talking proactively about improvements, I'm sure everybody's on board to discuss it. But we all have to keep in mind that there's a limit as to what can be done, in what sort of timeframe.

Kuromushi
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:37 pm      Reply with quote

I vote every now and then, it's mainly that I don't play enough or it's not on my brain when i finish work at 9pm. Sure, I know that there havne't been many updates, I know that the admin are understaffed, overworked, have rl responsibilities, are volunteers etc. But here's something to consider.

This mud has been the only one that has shown some real true promise at being decent for roleplay than any other mud I've played. I love this game, I really do. It has the sci-fi element and the grunge feel that I've been looking for for years in a game that no other mud, let alone rpi can offer.

But why the hell is it up to the admin to keep things exciting? New Items? new areas? new loot? To be honest, I couldn't care less about that sort of stuff. The fact of the matter is, we're all playing a high death rate, survival game with cutthroat families controlling turf and independants trying to make an honest (or dishonest) scrip in a town that's surrounded by dangerous wildlife.

Yet, the only reason people complain is because they like their characters and want them to survive as long as they can, all on the premise that they've done it all before in ARPI and know that when drek hits the fan, they need to have the most OP skills so that they can carry the group out of a sticky situation. The fact of the matter is, most players are scared, so scared that the families have teamed up together, I don't see turf wars except the fantastic session that was conspired by players when the reds decided bam! We're gonna take these three streets and put up a wall.

So before people can go judging the admins who I'm sure are doing a top job when they can. How about you think about just how much you're doing this out of self comfort?

As for Grandpa, which I've noticed that some of you loath. You accuse him of dictating yet the dictating comes from the small group of players that constantly complain. I've seen Grandpa step up to the plate when needed and step down when it's not necessary. If everyone stepped up and took initiative, we'd see more interesting things in Parallel.

Now there is one thing that i have constructive criticism for. Since for the most part, people tend to be overly clingy with their characters. Perhaps putting restriction on the races isn't such a great idea for RPP. If we're going to prize ourselves on diversity, then more races could be an option. So far if a new person joins up they see terran but there's like maybe 12 other races invisible. For a roleplay intensive game, where people are scared to die, maybe having them more available would incite more players to the game due to having a bit more option.

Then again... Everyone would pick calistan due to night vision... maybe throw some half breeds in there. With all the mudsexing, birthrates should be high Razz

love and peace. This game will have my vote.

Page 4 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic