Admin Appreciation Thread
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:44 pm      Reply with quote

Guys.

Seriously.

Is the knowledge that Snick = Wilde and a minor quirk of naming really that big of a deal? Is this information even relevant? To... well... anything?

Padweld expressed amusement that somebody didn't know. (Hell, I didn't know until I put two and two together!) And guess what? It IS a little amusing. Does this information MATTER significantly? In ANY way, WHATSOEVER? Really?

No? Then why are we all still being butthurt and talking about it. Padweld was just pointing out that he found it funny. There was no ill-intent. It was in fact funny. The confusion's been solved on Wilde's end.

Can we all at least pretend to be grown-ups and drop it, and get back to appreciating the admins like we're supposed to be doing?

Lost
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:55 pm      Reply with quote

Regardless of intent, it came across to be snobbish braggery over having a cooler OOC clique than others did.

That being one of ARPI (and PRPI's) bigger problems, it's simply being pointed out pretty freely and extensively that it's nothing to be proud of.

That said, sure, let's drop it.

Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:11 pm      Reply with quote

TL;DR: Almost certainly no harm was meant and some chilling out is in order. But maybe we should all think hard about the fact that the toxic nature of the forums (and chat) means you can't make a well-intentioned joke without someone legitimately worrying that you're being a huge asshole.

Btw, I think this applies to most people, to some extent or another, and is not targeted purely at Roadhawk, or even purely at the people who took issue with the comment:

Joshing and in-jokes actually have the potential to be team-building activities if handled well, and if that is the intent of both the josher and joshee. (See Snipe Hunt.) We're so insecure and hung up, generally, that being laughed at seems like the worst possible thing that could happen to us. But if it happens as part of a group activity, and the group embraces us all the more afterwards, it actually builds trust and group cohesiveness. (Note that the purpose of hazing, however atrociously it might be handled in practice, is to initiate someone into a group, not keep them out.)

But one has to be willing to laugh at oneself, too, and risk the possibility that someone on the internet thinks one is lame. It's kind of a fact of life (at least it is for me!) that someone, somewhere thinks you're lame. It's also completely okay and shouldn't prevent you from enjoying a game with a lot of people who aren't assholes who have it in for you.

It's scary out there, but not everybody is trying to stomp on your face all of the time. Sometimes people are jerks, and in that case they hardly deserve the satisfaction of making one feel insecure and left out of the special club all the cool kids belong to (how cool could that club really be if it's full of jerks?). Sometimes they don't mean any harm, and being willing to play along creates bonds of camaraderie.

If this conversation had happened a month ago I wouldn't have known what he was talking about, either.

<****** / ^^^^^^ / ||||||>
A wilde snick materializes before your eyes.

Now everyone does.

That said -- There IS and has been since ARPI a lot of jerky behavior on the forums. I go through the roof when I see people being condescending and dismissive toward new players in particular, which used to happen a lot when we actually had new players. I wonder about the relationship there. Razz

I don't remotely think this was that.

Unfortunately, the venomous nature of the forums makes everything anyone says potentially suspect. It's also scarred a lot of people into being unwilling to trust the good intentions of their fellow posters.

It makes it sort of hard to assure someone that no harm is meant in any particular instance (like now) when there is harm meant, all the time, all over the forums, about all kinds of things. And beyond it being totally unnecessary, it's terribly toxic and detrimental to the game, and leads to total derails of threads that are supposed to be about how AWESOME our AWESOME staff is.

Maybe we should, like, do something about that. Cool

*takes off Jimmy Carter hat*
</derail>

ETA: Have to note that a lot of people arguing that no harm was meant by the original comment have managed to do so in an unnecessarily aggressive and insulting way that is as much responsible for the derail of this thread as the complaints. Imo.

I realize we're all sick of this dynamic, but we're also ALL responsible for it.

It's a cliche by now, and yet still devastatingly relevant, but to paraphrase Gandhi, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."

I would prefer not to.
padweld999
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:13 pm      Reply with quote

please stop. stop talking about it, okay? please. I made a poor joke, literally one of amusement, not braggadocio, and I deleted it once I realized that it was offensive. So stop. stop defending me, stop pointing out how snobby I am. Just stop, and let's forget this ever happened, alright? You want to yell at me for it (and you are within your rights to do so), I can be PM'd.

I for one have no desire to log in during my day to gt away from my busy (and not so wonderful) normal life to see yet another post about how much I suck, or people getting angry and snappy at them for acting like that. So let's just stop, alright? I'm a big boy, I can take that abuse in private if you want to level it.

/derail for all time on my part at least, i promise.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:00 pm      Reply with quote

I petitioned to have something done and it was done in about 20 seconds.

Also thank you to the staff animating and npc.

Just going to repost this thanks to try and get people back on track...

kel
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:41 pm      Reply with quote

I've had repeated good dealings with Holmes. I've worked on a few projects with Wilde, and that's always been rewarding. Viking, Throttle, Hal and Watson are always quick to help with a question/problem when they're around. And some others.. I can never tell if they're new/part-time/name-changed staff members, but I can't say I've ever had a bad encounter with our staff.

Sometimes things get petitioned up and not responded to (I think the petition system only logs petitions if no staff at all are on, so if you petition when someone may be long idle, it may get missed and not logged.. is that right?) and some emails get sent in and not responded to. It happens. Staff have lives, and there's only a few of them for a lot of us. Things fall between the cracks. Or they may be busy for a bit. Usually just takes another petition/followup email or two, and some patience, and matters get resolved.

I think it's safe to say that they're not purposefully ignoring anyone. I know I've been quite a bit of a pain at times, and have made an absurd request or two. But given time, they've always gotten to me, even if it took a couple/few weeks and a nudge or two.

So let's thank our staff for the hours and hours of selfless time they dedicate to Parallel, and us. And remember that they're donating their free time to give us some entertainment. Though our player base is small, it's very diverse. A wide range of wants and needs, of play styles and expectations. And try as they might, the staff isn't going to be able to make everyone happy. Maybe not even most everyone. That's just the way MUDs work.

And let's all try to keep positive. Let's be thankful for our staff, and our fellow players. Things may not always go as planned. Everyone might not always get along. But that's not where we need to be focused. Let's focus on what does go well, and the enjoyment, stressful as it may be at times, that we draw from Parallel.

Lokilol
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:56 am      Reply with quote

So, as OP, everyone stop discussing this bullshit, please. This thread is to praise our holy admins and show them we are properly terrified and in awe of their power!

So, with that said!

Thank you to the admins or admin who animated those mobs and made me see the good part of the game again; the tense combat parts where you're worried about getting killed!

Thank you, I had a lot of fun tonight and loved what happened, and hope you do more of them, cause I was more interested in PRPI than my new PS3 and Borderlands!

Also, just a note, I am not being sarcastic what-so-ever, tonight was fucking bad***.

Silverhand96
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:04 am      Reply with quote

Echoing the others, but man. Tonight was so satisfying with all of the animations and whatnot, especially with some of the back and forth between NPCs and players both in and out of combat. Keep up the good work and even it's not a full scale RPT, remember that even the smallest of things here and there can do wonders!

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:39 am      Reply with quote

Man it was tense! Just enough to put us in danger, not to much to utterly wipe us all out.

Changing the npc targets so everyone felt involved instead of the crocs just having one tank was also awesome.. kept everyone on their toes!

Thank you. It was only a small thing, but it's the tiny things that make people feel warm fuzzy and loved. That little bit of interaction was enough to remind folks it doesn't always go to plan.

Rome
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:56 am      Reply with quote

I missed it :/

Page 5 of 6   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic