Home

Register a new account  
The art of solo scavenging.
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:14 pm      Reply with quote

Ive noticed a growing aversion to the idea of using hide and sneak to go into dangerous areas for the purpose of solo scavenging. I decided to make a small guide to help players who dont like large scav teams or simply dont have the right playtimes to go on a scav team.

What you need:
You cannot be encumbered.
You must have the hide skill.
And you preferably need the sneak skill.
You also should have scavenge to make your trips worthwhile.

How it works:
If you have the hide skill you are now sneaky enough to also use the sneak command without the skill itself. The way sneaking works is that if there is no NPC or PC in a room with you or the room you are entering then you will 100% stay (hidden) when sneaking from one room to the next

Therefore if you use Scan and Watch you can move around (hidden) indefinately as long as you dont move into rooms with npcs in the waste. You wait for them to move then you go. Obviously it is possible to land in an empty room moments after an enemy moves into the room too, thereby revealing you. This is just a nasty risk.

You never want to go further from a safe spot than you can run without running out of energy. Generally it isnt the wounds that kill you when you get revealed by a lagato, its the fact you run out of energy before reaching safety, then are stuck in a room with the lagato munching on you. That will kill you. Ex. I lost a character who went to the north factories, got revealed, ran all the way across the waste only to run out of energy one room from the gate. I could see the gate but couldnt move. The lagatos chased me and ate me right there.

Tips:
-Carry your pack in your hand, drop it if you have to run, being lightly encumbered will cut back on how far you can run, you can always sneak back for the pack.
-NPCS track, if a lagato or shredder pack walks across the path you have taken it will immediatly follow that path, and quickly to the end where you are. Then the npc will stay in the room with you for about 5 minutes before wandering away.
-Scan scan scan watch, always be ready to type stop if something ends up in the room you were on the way too.
-Have high strength and dont carry much. You will find lots of goods at various safe scav zones, but you cant carry back what makes you encumbered to the point of not being able to hdie.
-Dont go to any location that has spiders, you cant see them and they will reveal and kill you. That means the apartments, and hospital is off limits, so is any location that requires a light source. You cant hide with a light in hand.
-you will get caught. Dont panic, immediatly flee and be well aware of how to get back to a closable door or the gates of rust.
-Lastly lagato are very easy to flee from, shredders however can rip you to shreds before you can successfully flee. These are the true killers.

Tyrael
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:56 pm      Reply with quote

Go out alone, and you will die. There is a reason there is an aversion to it. Unless you're playing as a character who has no concern for their own life, don't do it.
Also, coyotes move about, totally hidden, they will reveal you and kill you without you having any warning or way to detect them.
The rest of the advice, like carrying a pack in hand, have high-strength, etc etc sounds a bit twinky. And anyone without sneak as a skill will almost always be revealed as soon as they enter a room with someone else.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:10 pm      Reply with quote

Coyotes have very poor sneaking abilities, if they move into you they will get revealed, then you wait for them to leave and go the opposite way. Tracking helps to figure out what is around you.

Also I went all the way out west to the helicoptor settlement in the mountains and didnt die.

You are not guareenteed to die if you sneaky scav.

Dropping your pack is not twinky. I would drop a 50 pound bag if I was running for my life in RL.

EXPERT TIP: You can create your own safe spots to run to if you have tripwires. Two trip wires can delay a chasing lagato for long enough to re-hide. This means you can extend how far you can leave rust by blocking off a room with traps as an escape route.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:52 pm      Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with solo-scaving... also it's not a guaranteed death. It's an incredibly high chance of death yes. But high risk high reward lifestyles would be relatively common in Rust.

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:06 pm      Reply with quote

solo scavving is easy. Can scout the whole map without too much of a problem

good way to get armor and ammo/guns if you're lucky

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:40 pm      Reply with quote

To be noted:

Spiders are everywhere. They're most abundant in the apartments and hospital, but:

When they flee, they flee. All over the place. There are several scattered across the wastes, with broken AI. Many of those scattered hid before they stopped doing anything. These pose as much of a risk to popping your hide as anything else. Unless staff has cleared them out. Eventually, if people keep clearing spiders, they'll repopulate, littered around.

The danger to coyotes is when you move into them, not when they move into you.

Otherwise this is all pretty valid.

Solo-scavving is perfectly legitimate, and can be done exceptionally reliably, barring flukes. Hide/sneak is a tremendously valuable skill for this purpose.

However: Is it worth it?

Let's say you have a one-in-thirty chance of dying solo-scavving. That's to be compared with... a one-in-honestly-probably-a-few-hundred chance of dying in a groupscav, if you work with leaders you trust.

Just how badly do you need the things you're scavving?

If you're in a family. Probably not nearly badly enough.

If you're an independent, however... maybe. It really comes to personal choice.

However, some people love the thrill of doing something that has an actual and significant risk of death. I'll never argue that solo-scavving isn't -fun-.

But it's not something I'd recommend, because there are a rather tremendous number of variables that come into play, and I'd really rather not risk a meaningless death for a character through some fluke means, for something I could get just as easily in a group. With RP to boot.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:40 am      Reply with quote

Ive discovered that NPCS are not in fact persistant. Ive noticed lagatos that vanish when you try to hunt them. Or you will have a pack of shredders and 3 lagatos all in one little area one hour then the next hour they have vanished too.

I believe that all exsisting npcs including spiders have despawn timers and will reset quite freqently.

However there is at least one room I know of along the west wall that you will get revealed sneaking into 9/10 times, even though you cant search out any npcs there. I just avoid that room entirely.

On the rewards side of things..well you can get alot of nice things going to the factories once a day..how much nice things can you get going 3-5 times a day? The wealth is immense, espically if you can scavenge specific items that are valuble.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:00 am      Reply with quote

The wall you're talking about was a spider. Might still be there. Might not.

But the despawn DEFINITELY doesn't apply to spiders.

I've seen it apply to lizards, for sure.

But there are broken spiders that have been in certain places (not hidden) for months. And some that have been in other places (like the west wall one) for months, hidden. Unless it got zapped or killed.

But yeah, I know what you mean, dude.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:24 am      Reply with quote

A few suggestions, if I may, to add to your list, Flincher?

Strength is great. So's con(how much stamina you have for running) and agi(how fast you run/flee, and how much stamina you use per room).

Armor: what to wear. Leathers or nothing, not plate. You're not trying to fight, you're trying to _MOVE_. Hence you want to see this:
"By virtue of your equipment, you are unarmoured and your movement not at all hindered."
And not this:
"By virtue of your equipment, you are well armoured and your movement noticeably hindered."

wilde
Administrator

Over Emote-tional

Post Posted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:28 am      Reply with quote

While all the advice about armour and skills is helpful, I'd actually rather we avoid OOC talk of locations of NPCs and locations where X happens.

If you want to solo-scav, find out information like this in game. I don't want to see it on the forums.

Page 1 of 2   Θ   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic