Home

Register a new account  
A Gentle Reminder
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Bartleby
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:12 pm      Reply with quote

There are fewer players around on the map these days, and a lot of PCs have retired/disappeared, which is difficult to play through because there's not REALLY anywhere for anyone to go, and a lot of characters disappear without any hint of why they're not occupying their usual haunts.

I realize this can make things feel pretty lonely, especially at off-peak times. I feel it, too.

But I would just like to point out that this is not an IC circumstance. ICly, there are not fewer people in Rust than there used to be. I personally find it very difficult to deal with ICly when questions are raised about where everyone "went" or why Rust is a "ghost town," because the answer is they didn't go anywhere and it isn't now anymore than it was when our numbers were highest.

Yes, it's extremely difficult to explain the absence of a former buddy. We're all together in that boat. But Rust is full of virtual people going about their virtual lives without any awareness of things like player attrition and TMS ranking.

In fact I think it might help some to feel less lonely (and bored) if this teeming virtual life were taken more into account. Considering what types of (virtual) people live in Rust, what they might be doing and what they might want can provide something for a PC to respond to, form opinions about, take action on.

Whereas dwelling on the recent "emptiness" of Rust creates a paradox that threatens to swallow up any hope of being immersed in a lively and dynamic virtual world.

I would prefer not to.
Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:39 pm      Reply with quote

It does feel pretty bleak when you type who and get 5 people Sad

Tyrael
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:15 pm      Reply with quote

They're all playing GTA V.

edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:34 pm      Reply with quote

I find emptiness exciting, RPing emptiness exciting and being in an otherwise emptier world with people who are still there. More so than pretending to do something with VNPCs. Maybe it's just an individual thing.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:37 pm      Reply with quote

Tyrael wrote:
They're all playing GTA V.

No its school everyone will come back after.

No its the holidays everyone will come back after

No its X new game out so everyone will come back after they are bored of it.

..No our current situation isn't a temporary one unless the staff has some kinda change to roll out soon.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:45 pm      Reply with quote

edgeworth wrote:
I find emptiness exciting, RPing emptiness exciting and being in an otherwise emptier world with people who are still there. More so than pretending to do something with VNPCs. Maybe it's just an individual thing.

You can find that exciting. Just realize that when you do that on Parallel your character is in every actuality wrong, and living in a delusional fantasy that has nothing to do with reality. In this case, 'pretending' to pay any attention to the world that exists around you is nothing of the sort: it's interacting with reality.

If you want a game where there's empty streets and not an entire slumcivilization, you should look elsewhere. It's bad roleplay, bad play, and bad creation to do that in Parallel. Expect people to treat you like your PC's about 50 IQ points lower if you start asking where everyone went.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:54 pm      Reply with quote

Yes, but only in the most literal sense. A smaller number of players has very real consequences for individual characters and how they interact with the world. Unfilled clan positions, fewer scavs in general and basically no clan scavs, empty auction house and stagnating trade, etc. etc. Sure, it doesn't mean that the streets are suddenly empty, but the characters are de facto more isolated and their worlds are becoming smaller. They might meet VNPC #4421, but that VNPC won't replace their friends in the tech lab, whom the said characters always visit when their headsets run out of juice.

On a personal note, grandpa--and this is most likely a communication issue--I would really appreciate it if you took your rhetoric down a notch. I'm certain you're a great guy, but discussions with you here always leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. This is a recreational activity in which we choose to participate together and there's really no need for this level of constant and pervasive hostility.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:18 pm      Reply with quote

edgeworth wrote:
On a personal note, grandpa--and this is most likely a communication issue--I would really appreciate it if you took your rhetoric down a notch. I'm certain you're a great guy, but discussions with you here always leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. This is a recreational activity in which we choose to participate together and there's really no need for this level of constant and pervasive hostility.

Personal notes and communication can probably be delivered via PM, rather than joining the queue of people ready to publicly attribute personal beliefs arguments to me, or otherwise generally attack me.

More on topic, the world's not empty. You shouldn't roleplay it that way.

Edit: It's hard to express that any other way. What you're looking for isn't IC, not the way you're expressing it--it's in-game, and that has an effect IC, but that's a challenge.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:11 am      Reply with quote

No attack on your person intended. As I said, I am convinced that you're all right.

The world is not empty, but it has changed somewhat. At least on my little isle of interaction, it seems that necesity forced the characters to become a much more close-knit group, which is ultimately a result of the drop in player population, but not something that feels in any way unnatural for the world. Maybe I'm explaining it poorly

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:49 am      Reply with quote

I'm iffy on this.

In some cases, say, Rust at-large, sure, you're right. The streets aren't barren. A room with no mobs and PCs on the street is NOT in fact empty.

However.

I do not think it's out of line to treat a decline in family or organization specific playerbases as a non-event.

Especially when it's beyond the standard rate of attrition we've had around the MUD as-a-whole lately.

The scarcity of scav-runs, the necessity of having multi-Family/indie-inclusive runs in order to get out lately, these are REAL things IG.

But your point regarding vNPCs and 'empty' rooms not being empty is perfectly valid, grandpa. I think you're both kind of straw manning each other without seeing the common ground where both statements hold merit.

(Which, to be fair, I somehow do every time -I- start discussing something with grandpa myself. He's usually right.)

Page 1 of 3   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic