Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:22 am      Reply with quote

Stuff. Seriously, stuff. Just wait.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:32 am      Reply with quote

*wriggles with excitement* I can't wait for them! I am eager for people to start coming. Imiss the days when we had 40+ people online at one time. That was a good time. I can't wait. I have been voting and trying to get more people to return, but it could be helped by changes, additions, and new people brought in.

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 am      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
I'm iffy on this.However.

I do not think it's out of line to treat a decline in family or organization specific playerbases as a non-event.

Especially when it's beyond the standard rate of attrition we've had around the MUD as-a-whole lately.

The scarcity of scav-runs, the necessity of having multi-Family/indie-inclusive runs in order to get out lately, these are REAL things IG.

But your point regarding vNPCs and 'empty' rooms not being empty is perfectly valid, grandpa. I think you're both kind of straw manning each other without seeing the common ground where both statements hold merit.

It's okay to discuss the decline on the forums. But, no, it pretty much is out of line to treat a decline (probably 4-5 players in a town of 1000+) in a family as a huge event. You can assume that citizens other than the PC population have parties going out to hunt or collect basic scrap. Families are pretty damn big. You should probably take grandpa's posts a bit more seriously, he's a smart guy.

And Matt, we've been waiting for a while now. ;(

Terminobber
RPA

Elfin Slavemaster and Santa double

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:18 pm      Reply with quote

Mind you that staff is pretty limited. Please take Matt's word that we are doing stuff

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:13 pm      Reply with quote

Honestly, I find ignoring the rest of the world a fairly common occurrence in the real world. So I find no particular problem with people saying no one's around.

There are thousands of other citizens of Rust that our PCs will never have any contact with. It's not out of line for our PCs to say no one's about when there is no one about that matters to them.

To say otherwise contradicts the real world pretty sharply.

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:40 pm      Reply with quote

Brainwright wrote:
Honestly, I find ignoring the rest of the world a fairly common occurrence in the real world. So I find no particular problem with people saying no one's around.

There are thousands of other citizens of Rust that our PCs will never have any contact with. It's not out of line for our PCs to say no one's about when there is no one about that matters to them.

To say otherwise contradicts the real world pretty sharply.

It's out of line to constantly complain about Rust being a ghost town. And I don't know who you are or what your situation is, but I don't ignore the rest of the world. I realize that I'm one insignificant individual on a planet with about 7 billion other humans milling about. Lets be realistic for the sake of the thread. Not every PC has special needs.

Tyrael
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:55 pm      Reply with quote

Zerero wrote:

It's a volunteer staff, they don't owe us anything.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:08 pm      Reply with quote

Zerero wrote:
crayon wrote:
I'm iffy on this.However.

I do not think it's out of line to treat a decline in family or organization specific playerbases as a non-event.

Especially when it's beyond the standard rate of attrition we've had around the MUD as-a-whole lately.

The scarcity of scav-runs, the necessity of having multi-Family/indie-inclusive runs in order to get out lately, these are REAL things IG.

But your point regarding vNPCs and 'empty' rooms not being empty is perfectly valid, grandpa. I think you're both kind of straw manning each other without seeing the common ground where both statements hold merit.

It's okay to discuss the decline on the forums. But, no, it pretty much is out of line to treat a decline (probably 4-5 players in a town of 1000+) in a family as a huge event. You can assume that citizens other than the PC population have parties going out to hunt or collect basic scrap. Families are pretty damn big. You should probably take grandpa's posts a bit more seriously, he's a smart guy.

It is when half of the PC members of a family have quit or left the family for various and wholly IC reasons?

Otherwise, what you're saying, is that an IG Family with ONE active PC is equivalent to an IG family with TEN active PCs. What you're saying is, that the ability of a family to draw and encourage players to add to the game is completely irrelevant. It's not.

Think of the active playerbase of the respective families as a CULTURE of the whole. If IC goings-on are enough to drive half of the playerbase out of the family, it's a fair assumption that a fair number of vNPCs are being driven off or severely displeased as well.

Otherwise, what you're doing is attributing an entirely static and arbitrary stance to the vNPC community as a whole, and THAT is out of line.

vNPCs care about things just as much as PCs do. They react to IC events. They change. Their numbers in various factions dwindle and rise.

So, yes. When a family or organization's PC numbers drop for IC reasons at a rate significantly faster than the seasonal decline we're seeing across the board? It's a fair assumption that vNPC numbers dwindle as well. That there IS in fact, something wrong. Because if half of a family is quitting over IG events, there probably IS something wrong.

Clarification: This is a hypothetical, rather than a reference to a specific event entirely, as for PC number drops in individual families, there are myriad causes, some IC and some OOC. The point is, it should be expected that if there are IC things lowering PC numbers within organizations, there are IC things lowering vNPC numbers within those same organizations. On the matter of scav runs, I'd beg to differ, and say it's highly unlikely there are runs going out besides those IG. For the simple reason that the PC community is supposed to be some of the best-trained and -equipped in Rust, and going out into wastes is supposed to be such a terrifying thing that most people don't -ever- do it.

Zerero
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:49 pm      Reply with quote

Tyrael wrote:
Zerero wrote:

It's a volunteer staff, they don't owe us anything.

Yeah, I realized that when I started playing back in mid-beta. Thanks for the reminder though. Hasn't stopped the whole playerbase from complaining for the past few years.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And crayon, unfortunately for them vNPCs can't up and 'quit'. They depend on the families for food and protection. While a handful of PCs are sitting around and complaining about a certain leader not being online every day and making coded improvement, there's a few hundred vNPCs out on the streets, struggling to survive.

I never said a family missing a few PCs made no difference. Sure, they're at a coded disadvantage. That's the flaw of RPIs and not having a huge playerbase. It's also a side-effect of Parallel being dead.

edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:22 pm      Reply with quote

Zerero wrote:
It's also a side-effect of Parallel being dead.

I don't think it's quite as bad as most people portray it. Sure, it's a change of pace, but it's not a "you're in this world with no other players, pretend to have fun" bad. I've played a different MUD for a bit, where every single conflict felt incredibly artificial, which was largely due to there being only ten or so players at peak times. Stuff is still very much going on in Parallel, just differently.

Page 2 of 3   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic