Register a new account  
Medical RP
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Terminobber
RPA

Elfin Slavemaster and Santa double

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:10 am      Reply with quote

This is just to clarify some things when it comes to medical RP IG and what's appropriate.

A bullet wound is a very serious injury that requires the medicine skill to treat properly. Medicine represents an advanced medical knowledge and with that represents surgical skills. Which is what properly removing a bullet is. Snatching bullets out of people so they can run into the next melee is not how that should be played. There's a lot more to taking care of bullet wounds then pulling it out and putting a stitch or two on the hole.

This goes for grievous and horrendous wounds as well. It's understood you want to get it treated while out and about when it happens. But it should still be played as a terrible wound and treated so. Now if the wound is crippling in anyway is up to the player. But it's still very serious and proper medical RP should follow.

Overall, just try and imagine what it'd be like IRL and then cut it in half. Because we all know your PCs are the ultimate of ultimate badass mofos.

PS: Don't take this the wrong way as us trying to start policing medical rp, or saying you're all terrible. Just see them as guidelines that would be far liked to be seen.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:21 am      Reply with quote

Question: what about when using advanced medical computers like the plasma treaters? Are those scanners not to be taken into account/just RP props that aren't considered to actually matter for 'proper medical roleplay'?

I had assumed that given that plasma treaters are one of the only ways to actually treat bullet-wounds other than base tools(Meds don't work), it was intended that these be used for bulletwounds/bullets, and given the portability of them that they were of course intended to be used in the field.

No?

ETA:
I guess what's confusing is that it's always been treated that high-grade medical supplies 'mattered' when they were used, and had both an immediate short-term and beneficial long-term effect on wounds, so it seems surprising that the same isn't considered for other (more advanced) medical tools.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:44 am      Reply with quote

Personally, I haven't been able to touch the plasma treaters or read the short description but I thought they were more high-tech cauterisation devices. Do plasma treaters have inbuilt scanners? What's the depth of the ability of these scanners (full diagnoses of wound or just sensing there is ripped flesh)?

I had assumed that given that plasma treaters are one of the only ways to actually treat bullet-wounds other than base tools(Meds don't work), it was intended that these be used for bulletwounds/bullets, and given the portability of them that they were of course intended to be used in the field.

Field triage. I think Termi's trying to say that yes you can pull bullets out in the field and treat the wound... but it's just a bit disconcerting that people can have 4 bullets pulled out of them and still run into the next melee as if it's been such a scratch. Or having the eye torn out and on the brink of death.. then five minutes later be up and about kicking ass.

Edit: As I think about it, a reminder about SET EFFORT <%>. Even if you're a monster beast fighter, if you take a serious or grievous and HAVE to fight the likelihood of you being at 100% is very very small. So SET EFFORT 80 or SET EFFORT 40 will handicap yourself to reflect your fighting ability!

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:56 am      Reply with quote

slyviolin wrote:
Edit: As I think about it, a reminder about SET EFFORT <%>. Even if you're a monster beast fighter, if you take a serious or grievous and HAVE to fight the likelihood of you being at 100% is very very small. So SET EFFORT 80 or SET EFFORT 40 will handicap yourself to reflect your fighting ability!

I've always wondered, does effort affect your defense or just your offense? And some of this is already set by your injury level and will stat.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:26 am      Reply with quote

The thing is removing a bullet from a wound is a very difficult thing to do without causing massive amounts of further injury. Using some tools on you and a plasma treater to treat it, in my opinion, is no where near satisfactory in treating a bullet wound. Being in a dirty whatever and just pulling the bullet out and shooting the wound with laserz is just... very jarring for me personally. Just because your level of medicine skill allows you to remove the bullet whenever without doing much further injury doesn't mean it can be done whenever wherever.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:39 am      Reply with quote

slyviolin wrote:

Field triage. I think Termi's trying to say that yes you can pull bullets out in the field and treat the wound... but it's just a bit disconcerting that people can have 4 bullets pulled out of them and still run into the next melee as if it's been such a scratch. Or having the eye torn out and on the brink of death.. then five minutes later be up and about kicking ass.

Willpower does this automatically.

Matt wrote:
The thing is removing a bullet from a wound is a very difficult thing to do without causing massive amounts of further injury. Using some tools on you and a plasma treater to treat it, in my opinion, is no where near satisfactory in treating a bullet wound. Being in a dirty whatever and just pulling the bullet out and shooting the wound with laserz is just... very jarring for me personally.

It's likely often jarring due to throwing up a strawman argument rather than actually reading/trying to view things from another perspective.

ETA:
If you're not intending to do this, sorry; 'laserz' tends to show you aren't listening.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:06 am      Reply with quote

What's a strawman argument?

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:03 am      Reply with quote

slyviolin wrote:
What's a strawman argument?

And argument that seems to address a previous concern but ignores most of the argument, creating instead a false, similar argument to tear down.

Also, plasma treaters: "and a touchscreen computer panel on the top allows skilled physicians full data read-outs and necessary controls."

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
slyviolin
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:32 am      Reply with quote

Read out of the plasma treater current operating parameters and statistics or the patient?

Edit : Reading back on the strawman argument it's not really, is it? Just a forum goer personally expressing what they find jarring. That's why it's from their perspective.. because it's their opinion. It seems to be backed up by what Termi said : pulling a bullet so they can get up and jump into the next melee shouldn't be the intent behind it. Maybe more thought to the situation and location you're in as well.

PERSONAL OPINIONL People should think about giving more restraint and min to their injuries ... and I'm going to use language you'll probably hate to summarise it "BANG OUCH YANK ZAP ZAP YAY SLICE SLICE." It's the mindset of most patients that is the problem, usually not those who are treating.

edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:05 am      Reply with quote

From my experience, medicine is a bit of a tough one, because it's a 100% social skill in RPIs. You'll get a lot more people annoyed by it than you ever could with something like chemistry. Treated too soon, not treated soon enough, didn't notice that some other character in a 12-man party was going to heal someone, confused their ambiguous emote for consent, confused their ambiguous emote for the lack thereof, treated with the wrong medicine (this is really where RP dies forever), treated that guy who likes walking around bleeding because that's his great character concept, etc, etc.

As for RP, on one hand, you actually want to properly play your doctor/medic/whatever; on the other, you don't always want to impose heavy doses of your own RP unto others, especially when you're out with a large group. The scavs are slow enough already without doctors running 30 minute bandaging sessions.

What always worked pretty well for me (I've had a fairly good doc both in ARPI and PRPI) was keeping the treatments very minimal (a line or two maximum of EM followed by TREAT) in push/scav parties and then following with a real treatment (generally only RP) in the base, should the patient be interested in it. You can really take your time here and have hours of medical RP. Get xrays (well, you could in ARPI), measure their blood-sugar levels, conduct brain surgery, etc. This is more rewarding for both me and the player in question without being a burden to the party.

If somebody is really severely injured though, the party should either make a stop for immediate treatment or head to base. What they shouldn't do is make a quick stop at the other factories building to get more scav. Either way, this is something that should be initiated by the party leader.

As for medical computers, they might as well include a trauma scanners, an MP3 player and chess for SNES. It's a magical glove that makes you shoot plasma from your fingertips.

Page 1 of 4   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic