Home

Register a new account  
Medical RP
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:21 pm      Reply with quote

Yeah, for sure. I rarely see grievous+ wounds get RP'd as less than serious. Severe's usually about rare I cross the line, but that's more because of the regularity severe's can be received in certain hit locations because of armor trends.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:25 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
Pulling a round out of someone's eye etc etc without a bunch of RP is just really bleh to me.

Except that that PC lost the eye as a result of this, Matt. The eye is permanently gone.

You're complaining that these aren't being treated seriously yet again; viewing more than five minutes of a scene/actually checking up on whether PCs are roleplaying the consequences is what would keep you from never making these strawman arguments again.

ETA: And you'd probably do the community a further service if you actually did put more than five minutes in before directly calling players out on the forums.

ETA, further:

"Get to a doctor for serious injuries" just doesn't mesh with the scene we're describing in question, sorry: there were 4-5 bulletwounds out of around a dozen that weren't in _serious_ locations(thorax, abdomen, eye, thigh). If we want to play with guns, ~50% of the wounds are going to be in serious locations. If we want the combatfun to last more than one 'round,' we're going to lose over half our PCs. The extended combatfun+realistic doctor roleplay you're describing doesn't work for the adversaries that the group was set up to face.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:53 pm      Reply with quote

Usually that's what happens when you get blasted in the eyeball close range with a rifle, right? No, I don't know the exact circumstances of all the RP that happened. But I do know a little bit what it takes to remove a bullet lodged in someone's face without killing them in real life.

All I want is you know... when situations where very serious wounds happen for the RP following it to have some kind of realistic medical RP afterwards. You know there's non-combatant PCs that play for the sole reason to do that? They sit around and wait for serious injuries so they can give well thought out scenes and quality doctor RP. I know this because I've known plenty of people who have retired because they can't get a chance to do that. Because people go remove bullet treat blah in dirty ass houses and treat grievous stuff in the wild and don't think to you know... continue that horrible wound RP further on. It really fucks over a character type IG to play it that way and it's really aggravating to see.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 pm      Reply with quote

Just a thought. Would it be possible to port the injury examples thread from the old Atonement forums over to these forums?

The one with the gory pictures?

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:19 pm      Reply with quote

Matt wrote:
and don't think to you know... continue that horrible wound RP further on.

Many do.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:25 pm      Reply with quote

Somebody retired because spear-hunting lagato was impossible; others have retired or _died_ because you can't realistically hunt down and drag back food/hides as a job, because it's worthless economically and been ridiculously dangerous. Character types that don't recognize how the game is actually played/what actually exists IG(advanced medical supplies, mobs that bumrush you and will destroy you 1v1 or 5v1) generally don't do well.

What you're asking for, Matt, is that people ignore what actually exists IG(advanced medical supplies). You're structuring it as if it should only be bulletwounds, when it's equally right that it should be almost all the wounds PCs take that should take long-term treatment. Chazz himself pointed out a moderate could be 25% of your HP. Good roleplayers will create roleplay, they'll find excuses(especially weaknesses) to give roleplay to other people. But good players are going to construct a PC concept that both provides things to do and makes IC sense.

Quote:
"Get to a doctor for serious injuries" just doesn't mesh with the scene we're describing in question, sorry: there were 4-5 bulletwounds out of around a dozen that weren't in _serious_ locations(thorax, abdomen, eye, thigh). If we want to play with guns, ~50% of the wounds are going to be in serious locations. If we want the combatfun to last more than one 'round,' we're going to lose over half our PCs. The extended combatfun+realistic doctor roleplay you're describing doesn't work for the adversaries that the group was set up to face.

Again, I have to point out: we're trying to have our cake and eat it too. And I mean this directly to Terminobber/other Staff. We can't have pulpy antagonists and extended combat scenes like we currently do, and realistic roleplay about the consequences of those. We can't have an extended RPT that requires lots of combat/code, and also extended medical roleplay when that coded combat by necessity starts 'forcing' people out of the scene itself.

The number of PCs that could've made it to "the end" without having to leave by the standards Staff are expecting/suggesting people play by was very minimal. And expecting random luck(guncombat code, whether/where you get hit) to be an acceptable reason to functionally force players out of playing out the entirety of the RPT is probably a bad idea, too.

I try and push for actually-played-out medical roleplay,. rather than "emote zaps with Mattlasers and wipes on medicine," but you also have to have some consideration for the people getting treated. You can't just expect someone to leave one of the few interesting things to have happened recently. Maybe if the game was bigger, and we had more players, we could follow standards like this, but honest-to-God: how often is a dedicated non-combat medical roleplayer actually on, that we can sit and wait around trying to give such a PC an excuse to do something? Or a medical PC at all? How many of you have played PCs with high-level fractures, spending days or _weeks_ trying to find people to help you with it? Good players create roleplay, but they also get up off their butts and go _find_ it.

Matt
Registered

Builder

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:01 pm      Reply with quote

There were a ton until the mindset of 'fuck them they should be combat PCs as well' set in and no one went to them. When the game first opened it was a very popular character type... and then they never had anything to do.

I'm done arguing with you because you're argument seems to be combat>everything and everyone else. Plasma treaters aren't these great magical devices like you're making them out to be. Yea, they're pretty cool and do decently at treatment but they're barely better then basic meds. They're for cauterizing gashes.

There's more fun to be had then just murdering NPCs and you don't -have- to push all the way through anything presented to you in a murder fest every time.

edgeworth
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:46 am      Reply with quote

Mildly off-topic: It would be nice if we had more fractures and concussions though. ARPI around the Mars landing was full of them, because people sparred or fought without appropriate protection. I'm certain there have been a plenty in PRPI, but I haven't seen any myself.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:37 am      Reply with quote

^Yes to the above, HOWEVER, I know there was huge issues with getting these treated at certain times of day. Hopefully with the different pace of the game compared to Atonement means more doctors are about at differing times

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:22 pm      Reply with quote

I think the model of a character who sits around and waits before they can RP is pretty much a dead concept.

I think every character concept should be capable of going out on runs and not be a weak spot. Otherwise, communications between players just gets more and more strained.

No more non-combatants. Regardless of how it's been modified, the core of this game is going out and fighting shit. It is the main driver that powers every last lick of RP that occurs. It's how staff structure their events, too.

If you're going to put hard barriers in front of players, gamers, and expect them not to break them, to just give up and walk away, you're only being obtuse.

Page 3 of 4   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic