Home

Register a new account  
Medical Suggestions
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
Chazz
Cute and Cuddly Coder

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:14 pm      Reply with quote

Put them here to keep it separated from how people should RP.

This is purely for suggestions and proposed changes to the medical system as a whole. (Throw damage in there too).

I've pretty much got the framework and ideas hashed out for what's going to happen, but if you have ideas, I'm sure I haven't thought of everything.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:27 pm      Reply with quote

I disagree that this needs separated: it makes how we play the game schizophrenic. Do we want to have advanced medical supplies that work in the field? How the medicines are coded/described IG has a direct effect on how we roleplay.

That said: Currently you need various skill levels to use the various medical remedies. Is there any way we can turn this into: first aid requires X level for a remedy, whereas it requires medicine-10 or 20 to use?

Currently, talented first aid or medicine work for faxnex. There's not a lot of incentive to take medicine(given the difficulty in raising it), because you can take education+first aid and succeed almost as often for 2/3rds of the skillpoints. Maybe incentivizing medicine by allowing full access to all medical tools when you take it would be useful?

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:28 pm      Reply with quote

I think changing it so that grievous+ injuries require followup treatment to continue healing would be a good thing.

As it stands, a person can take a, say, horrific wound. Get treated once on the spot.

Once the infection risk is gone, it'll heal by itself within two days.

I think it would be better for the healing to get halted at each level until it's down to moderate, at which point it would no longer require treatment.

So say you receive a grievous to the hand. The first treatment allows it to heal to severe. At which point you would require a follow up treatment for it to move on to heal to moderate.

More severe injuries wind up requiring scaling degrees of follow up treatment.

Yay medical RP.

grandpa
Registered

Entrenched Oldbie

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:29 pm      Reply with quote

crayon wrote:
I think it would be better for the healing to get halted at each level until it's down to moderate, at which point it would no longer require treatment.

So say you receive a grievous to the hand. The first treatment allows it to heal to severe. At which point you would require a follow up treatment for it to move on to heal to moderate.

This is already IG for PCs/mobs that deal bludgeon damage, which is the only issue if we add it to slash/pierce, already reducing reasons to take a generally under-utilized skillset.

It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:42 pm      Reply with quote

grandpa wrote:
crayon wrote:

This is already IG for PCs/mobs that deal bludgeon damage, which is the only issue if we add it to slash/pierce, already reducing reasons to take a generally under-utilized skillset.

Under-utilized? I wouldn't say that. And those that do utilize them as-is, already often utilize them in the first place because they're better codedly in PK, doubly given the sorts of armor people wear.

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:01 pm      Reply with quote

I would ask that you place an NPC in the public hospital that can treat wounds. I would also ask that this NPC provide free treatment if the PC provides the meds.

The current model isn't reliable as it requires another player logged in enough to be dependable, which is quite a pain in the ass.

Other than that, the changes I'd like to see most are largely cultural. In particular, I'd like first aid to be treated as a quick and hasty business just as it largely is in real life. Treat should be synonymous with bind in the players' minds just as much as it is now in the code.

If that means the current drugs are more of a gaurantee against infection rather than an HP up, so much the better.

In addition to that, treating long-term effects such as infection should be relegated to medicine.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:13 pm      Reply with quote

Codedly, for proper 'treatment' of wounds in an RP sense, would it be possible to see the severity of a bound wound on yourself? Right now, I take wound X that starts bleeding, honestly I usually miss the actual hit in combat that caused it to know how deep it is and go straight to bind so I don't fall over dead. Once it's bound there's no way for me to tell how bad it is. I'm assuming if you actually have first-aid you can tell this already.

Also, I like the idea of follow-up treatment being required for big wounds, but would like to put in the caveat that they do heal naturally eventually for people who just can't find the person they need for the actual treatment. Or that healing NPC in the Market clinic that someone mentioned.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:08 pm      Reply with quote

I'm kind of opposed to the idea of an NPC that provides that function, though perhaps larger injuries could be set to heal, albeit at a slower rate, even untreated, while RESTing or some such, so that in emergency cases where there just aren't medical PCs around, you can still heal, albeit slowly and uncomfortably.

Brainwright
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:39 pm      Reply with quote

I honestly wouldn't be opposed to a set of surface wounds and deep wounds.

Surface wounds would function much as the current wound system.

Deep wounds would be largely permanent. They would amount to a discrete loss in either max HP or constitution and require the Medicine skill to treat.

Something like X has an open sore on the abdomen, a slightly crooked right shoulder, left hip, or his right hand appears a little stiff. Essentially, all those situations where a wound heals, but it doesn't heal right or all the way.

In the end, this is strictly to penalize a haphazard lifestyle over time, not seriously cripple someone right out.

Lowdy
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:23 am      Reply with quote

That would punish any long lived fighter.... it would be horrible to be basically a one hit quitter and have peak constitution. Maybe I'm not reading it right though.

Page 1 of 2   Θ   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic