Navigation

Home

Register a new account  
Reality Check
Forum Index   Θ   PRPI Public Development

Reply to Topic Create a Topic

Poll Question and Results: Why do you not log in anymore?
I do, just not as much because RP sucks 4 votes, 17%
I do, just not as much because the admin/other players suck and don't fix certain things/play the game how I think they should 1 votes, 4%
I do, just not as much because the game is broken 1 votes, 4%
Because the game is broke, RP sucks, and/or I don't like the admin/other players much 10 votes, 43%
I do log in, man, I'm there all the time! 7 votes, 30%
Total Votes : 23
Terminobber
RPA

Elfin Slavemaster and Santa double

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:16 pm      Reply with quote

Admins are still around. if this game was 'abandoned' then it'd literally be shut down. Also, meh

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:23 pm      Reply with quote

My four cents.

i think if families were obliterated it would do a hell of a lot more to foster rp and personal excitement without have to rely on our admins to drag us through plots just to keep us excitement. Not to mention with the current pbase it's kinda hard to fill rosters on 3 clans to make them feel like they have any sort of power they are suppose to have.

Right now we are relying on big admin plots to join in to get our excitement kicks but still feel hollow afterwards if we don't acheive something. That same level of excitement could (theoretically) be acheived be finally having the resources to pay an armourer for a suit of leather armour. Most of you are probably thinking that's not a huge thing to get excited about since families can hand out the armor to their members willy-nilly but if had to work for the armour, it would be such a huge acheivement in your own, personal story.

Politicing and conflict as well would have a huge boost. Having to negotiate deals, make friends, alienating people would be more vital to a characters survival and progress. If you pick a fight with someone, you gotta hope that you'll have friends to back you up. There would be the option to beat on people and stir up trouble without knowing that a whole family is simply going tro come out and shoot you afterwards thus ending that rp avenue. Again you'll run your chances against a few friends, or if they were liked enough.. a unruly mob.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:00 pm      Reply with quote

Just as a 2 cents thing. Part of the lack of conflict is that early on we established that all the Families will work together really easily. Thereby they make friends with each other and are less likely to betray each other, which makes working together in the future easier, etc, etc.

I wasn't around then so I don't know how 'required' that cooperation was, but it makes it harder now that most people have everything they need/want to bring that back. The lower Pbase also makes that more difficult, since now you really /do/ need these other people to actually accomplish things.

So while I keep seeing 'destroy the families' or 'make a new family/group' that's not really going to be something effective when what we actually need to do is make the Families work as described in the docs (aka not together). That doesn't mean shoot each other on sight, but there should be some political interplay when they do have to cooperate.

I'm as guilty as anyone with being too buddy-buddy, though I do think at the very least if we do manage to bring back that hate there should be some leeway on letting people come to RPTs.

Tyrant
Registered

Benevolent Despot

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:59 pm      Reply with quote

Burn out+Game is always fucking down when I try to log in. And when I do happen on it being up theres usually like..4 players on. Usually bolt holed in their clanhalls.

You synchronise a resilient, pink handheld control with a
rubbery screen to a vaguely-humanoid mountain of machinery
wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:45 am      Reply with quote

So, I think we can probably sum up the majority of the playerbase's current issues as 3 different things. I'd like to point out that these are all coming from people who are still interested in trying to give the game a chance, somewhere down the line. You'll need to drag back the truly AWOL people to get a full story. I also don't necessarily agree with it all.

1. Lack of Direction: There is no reason for interplayer conflict, and even if there was, the necessity of working together would almost always outweigh it. Plots are often woefully short or outright dropped. The current plots are largely very difficult to pursue, either due to low player population or other factors. Sandbox is fine, but we need something solid to work with first.
    2. Constricting Setting: Even if you pay a lot of attention to how certain landmarks and turf might effect the culture of a given area in Rust, you're still stuck as little more than a Ruster. The races really don't alleviate that at all. The market declaws Families. Families often need to go against lore for necessity, further removing their purpose as anything more than glorified support networks.
    3. The World is Too Large: It's far too easy for players to hide themselves away, which maybe isn't a problem when there's 40 people online, but when there's 12 on in peak and 4 are mudsexing, 5 are idling for craft timers, and 3 are wondering where everyone else is, that's definitely an issue. Also, scav runs are hardly a necessity anymore, but they still give us something to do. Except it takes forever to get anywhere worthwhile, and worthwhile is an overstatement.

----------------------

Suggestions, so I'm not just compiling a list of complaints here:

Provide a necessary resource for clans to argue over.
Echoing Flincher: Make the market less safe, or better yet make it so that only Bjork's is a safe zone.
Until player population picks up again, make it easier for smaller groups to operate in the wild.
World-shattering RPTs that forcibly mix things up. Give us a persistent enemy that we can't wipe out with a single well-planned blow, maybe.
Radical, but...Get rid of the families altogether. That's maybe the only thing I see getting people out from behind their locked doors. I can't help but agree with Sly on that.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:29 am      Reply with quote

A lot of these points actually echo things I was considering a couple of months ago. I think the families could work as-is, if they were given a REASON for being, but with the present playerbase, having families seems more of a detriment than a boon to the game.

Is Flincher really saying the Market's too safe? I seem to recall somebody getting shot there some time ago. I don't know, maybe there's a way to increase one's likelihood of GETTING AWAY with doing dodgy things in the Market. That might help out here. But otherwise, the Market itself really is uh... kind of safe for a reason. You know. Let me just go get lots of pricey things as a crafter and sit around selling it somewhere that ISN'T safe.

At the same time that it's too large, it's too small as well. There's nowhere to go and nothing to explore. It would be nice to open up some new things.

Hyriana
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:10 am      Reply with quote

Just something to keep in mind about Families. The instant you break them up, other groups are just going to establish based on whatever cliques you already have in game. That's just how people work. Having them already existing now is fine as long as people go ahead and try and come up with some more story about how and why they are like they are.

The Red Company is the gimme, break into Hyperion with a side of keeping things together until they can actually manage to do that.

I always thought New Guard were going to be (as has been said) the Dons. Lording it up over the common folk, political maneuvering, and amassing a huge power base of wealth and resources. Then shoving it around to get what they want. "What they want" kind of being up to whoever is in charge for the moment. I feel like they'd be most interested in maintaining the status quo, since at least in their minds they're on top. And then throw in whatever weird project the leader decides on.

Niners are kind of like your typical orc tribe. The strongest (or person with the strongest supporters) is in charge. But really, no one is, because we're all in this for shits and giggles. I actually have the hardest time deciding what the Niner goal is besides 'kick ass and have fun'. Maybe that's enough?

That's the impressions I got when I first read the clan descriptions anyway.

Flincher14
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:19 pm      Reply with quote

The reds goal is dumb. There isn't any drive or threat pushing us to want to break into hyperion. There is no reason to go in so the motivation disappears.

The guards yeah I figured they would be like the wilmingtons maybe a little bit mafia. But someone decided to make the stuck up assholes that dont really want to do anything substantial plot related or no.

Niners..they've suffered from many bad or non-existant leaders. They are suppose to be about fun and freedom I guess..thats not a real drive. The only way this is ever reflected is when niners throw a party at the dark side which has happened a total of two times. Otherwise they are just like every other comunist clan.

The point is the families just dont work in their current capacity.

Roadhawk
Registered

We lurk inside your brain, we hide inside your mind.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:59 pm      Reply with quote

Proliferation of the exact cause/effect of the code. How it works to a pretty accurate degree, what is the best and only way to do something, what is useless. Nit by any specific individual but the attitude as a whole.

The use if the above as justification for not doing something in a roleplaying manner despite it being somewhat fitting.

Degredation of roleplay in general, not in private groups and between specific people but as a general walk in go the bar and try to rp with somebody. Unless you have something to give them, they are not going to respond.

General forum attitude, old fashioned or not fuck and shit rarely need to be typed. Game fine, forums show a bit if class and respect.

Admins are fine, game is fine. Though i understand the aspects other people want fixed are big draws but not something that interests me personally.

AdamBlue9000
Registered

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:03 pm      Reply with quote

As it currently stands, most if not all leadership is absent.
I do not say this intending to be mean. I am saying this because I have with my own eyes hardly ever seen a person of leadership recently.

James of the New Guard disappeared a long time ago, then tried to come back when he heard he was being kicked out, then disappeared forever, leaving Bon to try and take up the reins, though I hardly see him ever anymore, though this is because he is trying to codewise improve the game, so he is not to blame for this.

The Red's leadership was killed when they tried to do something that a lot of people really didn't like, and then it sort of died off because a lot of people got extremely butthurt and left the game/ stopped playing, but it's not to say it's without leadership, Miranda I have not seen often, however. She tries very hard.

I'm not even sure who the leader of the Niners is. It seemed to change weekly because people squabbling literally -all the time- over trival things, especially since your first leader was killed within a week of the game opening.

There are no leaders, with no ideas to do anything. People are just idling, waiting for something to happen that never will unless an admin happens to be around. And unless things happen, people get bored and leave. And if people get bored and leave, there aren't enough people around for admins to do anything for. And so the circle continues, unless we -do- something about it.
What do we do?
What the fuck do we do?

Edit: I would like to also point out that when I meant that admins were 'not around', I didn't mean all of them. We have at least two incredibly dedicated and lovely admins who are a wonder to deal with, and I consider them fine gentlemen. However, there used to be far many more admins that have since disappeared.

Page 3 of 8   Θ   Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic