Home

Register a new account  
Crayon's Update Thread
Forum Index   Θ   General Discussion

Reply to Topic Create a Topic
crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:42 am      Reply with quote

I'm just going to move a thread for all of my updates over here instead of mentioning them in a handful of threads.

I've implemented most of the variables that volunteers have sent up, and a few new crafts. There are a few more crafts to do and that need fixing but they're on the backburner for now.

Lace seems to be working again.

I'll be online now and then to respond to petitions on the player port now, so those of you that have broken garter belts, cases of paint, or other items I changed that wigged out, please let me know.

Is the garter belt craft working adequately now?

Gatos have been changed into prey animals. Hilda probably hunted them to extinction. They'll behave somewhat like squicks. If there are more of you than them they'll run, if there are less they may attack. As a primary meat source, they're probably still worth hunting for smaller groups if they use tactics like hide/sneak/traps. Vines seem(?) to be gone now, so hopefully we'll crash less. These two things should make the wilderness safer for small groups, as shredders and beetles and coyotes harass you, but don't have quite the danger of gatos. It will still be somewhat dangerous, mind.

I've almost finished progging a set of tools for mob spawning and AI. I'd like to introduce them via a new area for playtesting, and then I'll use the model to fix the other scavving locations. Barring serious setbacks (like me making the build port explode), this will be soon.

After I finish tackling the wilderness, I'd like to start working on some of the mechanics behind IG infrastructure, like power, water, and construction. Specifically, an OOC set of Guidelines for construction submissions and room count, and introduction of new objects and crafts that make the clanbase infrastructure something that can be emulated more easily by others.

slyviolin
Registered

Sometimes I struggle with my demons. Other times we just fuck and have cheesecake.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:50 pm      Reply with quote

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:52 pm      Reply with quote

He is the staff PRPI needs right, but not the one it deserves.

Nedinu
Registered

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:07 pm      Reply with quote

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:50 pm      Reply with quote

Consult IG/IC postings (Bjork's) for details, however:

An area has been adapted to use the new spawning mechanics I've been working on, and its scav yield has been increased accordingly. There may be a follow-up RPT forthcoming.

Hopefully, if people can get a small group together this evening, I'd be happy to tag along and RPA throughout.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:25 pm      Reply with quote

Also <3.

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:25 pm      Reply with quote

Basic summary of how the new scav/spawn stuff for testing works:

When you scavenge there's a chance of spawning either one small mob or two small mobs following a third mediumish mob.

Those mobs spawn somewhere inside the area you're scavenging.

After a while, they disappear, so you don't have to worry about swarms massing.

When mobs spawn, there's a counter that limits the number that can be spawned.

After that limit's reached, there's a buffer where you can scavenge without triggering a mob spawn.

After that buffer's exhausted, the area is depleted until the spawn counter has had time to fill back up.

There is also a slim chance of a unique boss mob built specific for each location spawning. This mob will show up, stomp around, and eventually get bored and leave on its own, or if people fight it, it may flee upon hitting a certain HP. It IS killable, it's just hard to secure the kill.

Tips on how to interact with the game mechanics:

1) If you scav on your way out, rather than your way in, I'm confident you'll find it to be safer. You should probably prioritize good scavving areas over scrap. Whether you keep a low profile, or stomp in with a horde of people, when you go scavving will have an effect on what comes at you.

2) If you feel that you spawn too much to handle, or you don't want to deal with a scary boss mob, it may be in your interests to try to hide until they leave, then slip out without additional scavving.

3) The buffer in the spawn count where you can scavenge without spawning makes it possible for people to 'backtrack' larger scavenging groups, and hit the sweet spot where it's safe. This kind of makes sense ICly, too.

Coil
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:55 am      Reply with quote

Not looking like enough people still, so I'm giving up until tomorrow, but I had a few questions:
How big does each scav spawn? If there's a particularly unlucky set of chances, could three people generate a mob that's unlikely to kill?
Do the spawns base off of each person scavving, or the number of scavs?

crayon
Registered

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:42 am      Reply with quote

I don't want to get into the specific details of how exactly it works, but basically:

Every time an individual scavenges it has a roughly twenty percent chance of spawning a single mob. And a ten percent chance of spawning a bigger mob and two of the small ones.

Then there's a sub-1% chance of spawning a boss.

The actual mobs spawned are uniquely determined for that zone. It's just a matter of filling in the blanks with vnums for the mobs required. So, I suppose to answer your question, people will only run into exactly what they're supposed to, and it's likely to be balanced based on the intended difficulty of the area being scavved. The mobs for the area I revamped for testing the mechanics should tend towards the easier side. But because of the way I play the game myself, it's unlikely that what's easy for me is easy for other people. (I'm a dirty twink.) Odds are, either I downscaled the mobs excessively, in overcompensation for this, or I didn't downscale them enough.

The big thing that I'd like to work on balancing, moreso than the mobs (although those will need balancing too), is the math behind the spawn counter. I'd like to be able to make sure that people don't wind up causing areas to run dry faster than intended, and that the spawn count refreshes adequately quickly.

wirsindallein
Registered

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:46 am      Reply with quote

That kind of makes soloscavving even more impossible, but I like it all the same!

Page 1 of 7   Θ   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:  
Reply to Topic Create a Topic